The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

'99 GS - SRT4 engine swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well I got my parts car in front of the grage over the weekendand start to tear it apart. It is being striped down every nut bolt and clip. I will be slaving alot of stuff off of her for other dsmers. Some of the stuff I will be modifing for my car. Just so you u know i think she had a hard life and her engine and trans was already gone when I got her.

Attachments

• 2012-03-25 19.32.37.jpg
    2012-03-25 19.32.37.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 260
In the process of finding lugnuts. I ran into a old friend that is giving me the hook up.1 gen scion tc wheels are painted a hyper silver sorta like a gunmetal. The wheels that I have are a polished alum. If u have ever polished a wheel u know that up keep is a pain so im going painted.

Um sorry but i dont think they will work on your car.

correct me if im wrong but Tc wheels are 5x100, and DSM wheels are 5x114?? Good luck tho

Well I got my parts car in front of the grage over the weekendand start to tear it apart. It is being striped down every nut bolt and clip. I will be slaving alot of stuff off of her for other dsmers. Some of the stuff I will be modifing for my car. Just so you u know i think she had a hard life and her engine and trans was already gone when I got her.

Aside from the fact that "slavery" isn't cool LOL I think one of the best things i've ever done was to stockpile DSM specific nuts and bolts when i worked in a junk yard once.. Now here it is 9 years later and i'm FINALLY running out and it hurts LOL

(had to point out your type of "slaving" the nuts and bolts LOL)

Anyway, I've been following this for a while now and i'm really anticipating the first test drive, I can't wait to see what kinda results you get in general, let alone when you finally make it to the dyno with a 2.4 turbo engine in there.. (now if you could only adapt the AWD system properly :D )

Aside from the fact that "slavery" isn't cool LOL I think one of the best things i've ever done was to stockpile DSM specific nuts and bolts when i worked in a junk yard once.. Now here it is 9 years later and i'm FINALLY running out and it hurts LOL

(had to point out your type of "slaving" the nuts and bolts LOL)

Anyway, I've been following this for a while now and i'm really anticipating the first test drive, I can't wait to see what kinda results you get in general, let alone when you finally make it to the dyno with a 2.4 turbo engine in there.. (now if you could only adapt the AWD system properly :D )

Hmmm did they make a awd srt caliber. I remember talk of it but dont know if they fowllowed thru.

Hmmm did they make a awd srt caliber. I remember talk of it but dont know if they fowllowed thru.

I wish they'd make an AWD SRT4 Neon that would be bad.

Glad to see you are making progress, GET that new model car on the road.

Lol one small step of many more to come! The tear down of the talon was part of the hunnydo list. Haha so I squeezed it in. It was orginaly parked on my lots across the street were the gs sat when I got it home.The grass started to take it over so it got moved so I could mow.

Hi bud, any updates, you should be pretty close to getting this thing on the road, what you are doing is going to help a lot of people, it is sweet.

This is an awesome build! Never actualy seen this before so it's pretty cool to me. I've only heard talk of these swaps.

One thing i see is with the trans mount bracket the way it is. if you wanted to pull the motor and trans out together, would you have to drop it out the bottom? or is there enough room to move the whole thing around and bring it out topside?

Of course there's always the option of unbolting the trans, dropping that then pulling the engine, but I don't think that's typically how its done

Hi bud, any updates, you should be pretty close to getting this thing on the road, what you are doing is going to help a lot of people, it is sweet.

Well I have been busy moving two truck loads of tools and equipment into my one car garage. Money is at a freeze till I find a new job. I got canned after 6 years at the shop I was working at. So after some very long thought Ive decided to make a job change.

This is an awesome build! Never actualy seen this before so it's pretty cool to me. I've only heard talk of these swaps.

One thing i see is with the trans mount bracket the way it is. if you wanted to pull the motor and trans out together, would you have to drop it out the bottom? or is there enough room to move the whole thing around and bring it out topside?

Of course there's always the option of unbolting the trans, dropping that then pulling the engine, but I don't think that's typically how its done

Well when I do get it running I will probly clean and fill all the holes were unused and 420a brackets were. I am all so planing a brake line tuck and modified srt harness tuck as well.Its a tight fit so as not to tear up my future engine bay paint the engine and trans will be bottom drop. With the radiator support outa the way for the time, it can come out the front.
Thats why rad support is not in yet.

Well I have been busy moving two truck loads of tools and equipment into my one car garage. Money is at a freeze till I find a new job. I got canned after 6 years at the shop I was working at. So after some very long thought Ive decided to make a job change.

Sorry to hear that, that is bad after 6 yrs. Hope whatever you decide to do it will be for the better, but dont give up on the project, sometimes these projects turn into a therapy of some kind when things get rough.

Lots of luck and keep us posted.

arrowhead

First, I really dig this swap! cant wait to see it running!

Tank, I was all over the SRT4 scene when they were just coming out. I broke 500 wheel horsepower on one in 2003 or 04. Theres a video of me driving the car on the UTI dyno back in the day. 'Cept for the guys supported by Dodge/Mopar, we were the first to hit that mark. It's been almost 10 years of not messing with SRT4s at all so my knowledge may be a bit rusty but I've got a few pointers on hickups that you may run into later before or after the car is running.

The SRT4 has a pulsewidth modulated fuel pump and no return line, so, unless you get an SRT4 pump to go with your swap, you'll need to do something like a wally with a return line setup. I think around 350 wheel horses or so the stock pump doesn't cut it anymore. A regular pump with a return line will modify fuel delivery from what the ECU expects, keep that in mind!

The engine bucks like craaazy in an SRT4. I suggest making sure those mounts are doubly reinforced. That subaru piece that you used for a roll stop is a great idea, we busted that stock roll stopper all time time up in the 450 WHP range. Our car was scooting down the track at the 1st SRT nationals in Homme LA at no problem raceway, the torque at 500 ft lbs broke that stopper and smashed the AC lines in a 3-4 shift. I almost needed new pants until I realized it was just R134, LOL.

Figure out what 'Mopar level' that engine is set up for and make sure to get the matching ECU for it. I was on my way out of the SRT4 racket at the time but i know one of the stage kits, probably the stage III, had bigger injectors - so you may need to verify that your ECU matches your injectors and all. At least it was supposed to have bigger injectors *shrug*. I'm pretty sure the 1st and 2nd stages didnt modify anything like injectors so they should be good if the injectors are factory size.

Fuel tuning was a PITA on that car back in the day, i dont know what they're using now but S-AFCs and other cheap methods didnt work on SRT4s at the time. I'm sure its much easier now.

That transmission takes a collet style throwout bearing and slave cylinder, It's all a sealed system on an SRT4 so as far as bleeding it, jeez I'm not really sure. Maybe get the master cyl from an SRT4 and plan on running that? I think as the transmission is a stratus or some other bigger V6 engine style dodge transmission, you might find an alternative clutch master cylinder solution on the cheap.

Keep on rockin with this swap! it looks great!

First, I really dig this swap! cant wait to see it running!

Tank, I was all over the SRT4 scene when they were just coming out. I broke 500 wheel horsepower on one in 2003 or 04. Theres a video of me driving the car on the UTI dyno back in the day. 'Cept for the guys supported by Dodge/Mopar, we were the first to hit that mark. It's been almost 10 years of not messing with SRT4s at all so my knowledge may be a bit rusty but I've got a few pointers on hickups that you may run into later before or after the car is running.

The SRT4 has a pulsewidth modulated fuel pump and no return line, so, unless you get an SRT4 pump to go with your swap, you'll need to do something like a wally with a return line setup. I think around 350 wheel horses or so the stock pump doesn't cut it anymore. A regular pump with a return line will modify fuel delivery from what the ECU expects, keep that in mind!

The engine bucks like craaazy in an SRT4. I suggest making sure those mounts are doubly reinforced. That subaru piece that you used for a roll stop is a great idea, we busted that stock roll stopper all time time up in the 450 WHP range. Our car was scooting down the track at the 1st SRT nationals in Homme LA at no problem raceway, the torque at 500 ft lbs broke that stopper and smashed the AC lines in a 3-4 shift. I almost needed new pants until I realized it was just R134, LOL.

Figure out what 'Mopar level' that engine is set up for and make sure to get the matching ECU for it. I was on my way out of the SRT4 racket at the time but i know one of the stage kits, probably the stage III, had bigger injectors - so you may need to verify that your ECU matches your injectors and all. At least it was supposed to have bigger injectors *shrug*. I'm pretty sure the 1st and 2nd stages didnt modify anything like injectors so they should be good if the injectors are factory size.

Fuel tuning was a PITA on that car back in the day, i dont know what they're using now but S-AFCs and other cheap methods didnt work on SRT4s at the time. I'm sure its much easier now.

That transmission takes a collet style throwout bearing and slave cylinder, It's all a sealed system on an SRT4 so as far as bleeding it, jeez I'm not really sure. Maybe get the master cyl from an SRT4 and plan on running that? I think as the transmission is a stratus or some other bigger V6 engine style dodge transmission, you might find an alternative clutch master cylinder solution on the cheap.

Keep on rockin with this swap! it looks great!

Thanks for the info! Well I manged to find a job at the local autoparts store. The pay is a step few steps backwards but it is close to home so no long trips to work anymore. Got to tough it out for a few years, Im going for manager. Oh and another bonus disscount on parts!

Just read all 8 pages of this thread that I found while searching what to do with an extra 2.4 cloud motor I have sitting around. Nice to see someone continually making progress on a swap. I like this idea keep up the good work man! I drive a srt4 myself, if I can be of any assistance let me know:thumb:

Just read all 8 pages of this thread that I found while searching what to do with an extra 2.4 cloud motor I have sitting around. Nice to see someone continually making progress on a swap. I like this idea keep up the good work man! I drive a srt4 myself, if I can be of any assistance let me know:thumb:

Thanks!

Well I managed to get some more parts. A 3 inch cat back,agx for the 4 corners with ksport springs. New sway bars 19m rear,21 mm front. Rear hub and bearings. Rear pads and rotors. Need new rear hoses and the back will be done. Went with hancook evo tires 245/40/17 for the mustang wheels. Still have a tone of parts to buy!

Attachments

• 2012-04-25 17.54.09.jpg
    2012-04-25 17.54.09.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 2012-04-25 17.49.20.jpg
    2012-04-25 17.49.20.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 259
  • 2012-04-25 17.38.00.jpg
    2012-04-25 17.38.00.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 252
I'm not a big fan of cutting and chopping up of dsm's or of neon's period buuuttt.........WOW your an inspiration to all of us, great job and hope this new job works out for you. Kinda stupid how you get let go from a job after devoting 6 years to it!
What happened to the rest of the talon shell.....it looked it really good shape!

Major props!

I'm not a big fan of cutting and chopping up of dsm's or of neon's period buuuttt.........WOW your an inspiration to all of us, great job and hope this new job works out for you. Kinda stupid how you get let go from a job after devoting 6 years to it!
What happened to the rest of the talon shell.....it looked it really good shape!

Major props!

Thanks! Havent had much time, so the talon is still in the drive way. As far as the old job, when they own 5 shops and not handing out raises not only to me but others as well then the 50 mile one way comute and un paid training it just got me more agravated, so I didnt care any more. The new job is going great so far and is closer to home. The pro big discount on parts the con the pay. So I have to bust my azz to make manager the best I can. Oh and another con, wierd hrs my weekend was tues and weds this and next week.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back