The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

'99 4g63 & 4g64 crankwalk

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evileclipse98

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
Lake Village, Arkansas
Did mitsu fix the crankwalk issue in 1999 eclipse gst & gsx models with the 4g63? Everyone I talk to says that they have a 99 so they aren't worried. Also, will the entire 4g64 engine bolt in to a gst/gsx chassis? Thanks.

Since a 4g64 is essentially the same block as a 4g63, then yes it will bolt into a DSM chassis fine. Also, any part that will bolt to a 4g63 will bolt to a 4g64.

I think the 98/99 block have the revised split thrust bearings, supposedly less prone to crankwalk.

Crank walk is over rated, I had bought a used 99 motor and it had crank walk thank god i returned it right away. It still can happen in the 99's but i heard they have less chances then the 95-99.

Crankwalk is not overrated. I build engines all the time and almost every 1995-1997 7-bolt i have seen has visible wear on the thrust bearing surface. Most aren't real bad but if given enough time would fail. I also talked to the service techs at the mitsu dealers that i buy parts from every week, they said the same thing, they all do it. The machine shop i use to turn cranks for other applications said they wont build 7-bolt 4g's because of it. It is a poor design and prone to thrust failure. That doesn't mean that hey are garbage, or that they will all die in 100k. I live in a large metro area and the shops that i talk to have serviced 1000's of dsm's. Just for kicks do a search for " crankwalk overrated", see how many results you get for something that "never" happens.

The 1999 7 bolt has a 4 piece Thrust bearing assembly that allows the thrust bearing to float and self align with the crankshaft. This type of bearing was carried over to the EVO IV and newer 4g63-t and 4g64 engines.

Any thrust bearing can fail. Things like Low Oil, Old dirty oil, Heavy Pressure Plates (2900) can all increase WEAR on thrust bearings.

Attachments

• 04-01-09_1604.jpg
    04-01-09_1604.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 941
Early '95's are the least to crankwalk since they had left over 1g 7bolts. '96 was the worst year, then 97-99 the numbers dropped for each year. And there is cases that are not reported. I do believe crankwalk is overrated, but 7bolts do crankwalk alot, its about you and your luck and i sure wasn't lucky. I also read a few times the '99 4g63 was as good as the Evo 7-9 4g63.

From the mitsu techs ive talked to, most of them don't even know how to work on a dsm, yet alone they work on the EVOS.

I was hoping something different. I can't believe I ended up with a 98 GSX to rebuild just to find out that more than likely it will crankwalk. I should have bought a rs or gs and built up the 420a. My experience with that motor in my Neon R/T is extensive enough, I know what that engine will do. Now I am stuck with an expensive, broke down, piece of crap. Wow, I feel soooo lucky. What do you think a 98 eclipse gsx that needs engine work(don't exactly know what it needs) and a transfer case would go for on ebay?

I was hoping something different. I can't believe I ended up with a 98 GSX to rebuild just to find out that more than likely it will crankwalk. I should have bought a rs or gs and built up the 420a. My experience with that motor in my Neon R/T is extensive enough, I know what that engine will do. Now I am stuck with an expensive, broke down, piece of crap. Wow, I feel soooo lucky. What do you think a 98 eclipse gsx that needs engine work(don't exactly know what it needs) and a transfer case would go for on ebay?

not to be too ignorant but, if you were "HOPING" for something in life, and i see that you just joined us on this fine site, well i think you are in to the wrong kind of performance car. maybe you'd be better off with a hugo with a bolt on turbo kit, and leave these peices of crap alone. i think you would be able to get 900.00 for it on ebay, because nobody wants to buy crap. ( except the thousands' of members on here)

not all the answers in life are going to be what you want to hear buddy so go enjoy your hugo:tease:

No, I meant the car. It is a 98 Eclipse GSX, clean body and paint, needs engine work and transfer case. It is an automatic trans and has an awesomely good interior. I still can't believe how the great 4G63 can be so crappy. I should have done more homework. Unless, it's easy to ditch the 4g63, tranny, and the awd and swap in a 420a and tranny?

not to be too ignorant but, if you were "HOPING" for something in life, and i see that you just joined us on this fine site, well i think you are in to the wrong kind of performance car. maybe you'd be better off with a hugo with a bolt on turbo kit, and leave these peices of crap alone. i think you would be able to get 900.00 for it on ebay, because nobody wants to buy crap. ( except the thousands' of members on here)

not all the answers in life are going to be what you want to hear buddy so go enjoy your hugo:tease:

So says the guy with the 6-bolt. Hugo, that is funny though.LOL

Oh well. Im guessing its time to give it up. Must have alot of pressure on you leading you to say that.

If you build a 2.0 correctly, 7 bolt or 6 bolt its gonna last a while depending on how you treat it. Alot of 7 bolts that were rebuilt were quickly done and ended giving up the same way they did before.

No, I meant the car. It is a 98 Eclipse GSX, clean body and paint, needs engine work and transfer case. It is an automatic trans and has an awesomely good interior. I still can't believe how the great 4G63 can be so crappy. I should have done more homework. Unless, it's easy to ditch the 4g63, tranny, and the awd and swap in a 420a and tranny?

YEA, I MEANT THE CAR TOO why would anyone want to buy?, it is crap. well you say it is yourself. what did you think i meant? the motor? no i meant the whole car.

your comments are pathetic and ass-nine. why would you want to take a awd car and put a 420 in it? are you on drugs? whatever you are on, i want some. cause you are def. off your rocker.

to be honest, when you say how the great 4g63 can be so crappy, well the real answer is because of people like you. someone says they all have crank-walk, and then you whine like a little , puppy (caught myself) and now want to bad-mouth everything

MODS. i apoligize for being honest, but i am not trying to be ignorant to this person. but i find it funny and disturbing at the same time.

nytalon is correct i too have a 7- bolt. so what i suggest to you is that you better go get a job and make those millions while you still know it all

The 7bolt crankwalk, I mean the whole deal, what is the longevity of the engine? I have read waaaayyyy more negatives than positives. Any cheap fixes? Also, don't be smartasses, it's not welcome or wanted. Oh yeah, my car I'll do what I please. The only thing annoying is the 1g got durability with the 6bolt and the 2g got the looks. Is it the oiling on the bearing a problem? More info, less smartasses.

you already answered your own questions. you have all the answers.
all you want is a cheap fix. here is one. obviously you do'nt want to stay with a crank- walkable engine, so swap to a 6 bolt and your good to go
and the part of "my car, ill do what i please" rant, well, you are the one who asked a GOOFY question

You know what, you're right. I always hated people who get on these auto forums and rant like I did. I was pissed. I'm man enough to admit it, I'm sorry. To the gurus: I apologize and humbly ask your opinions on what to do. I don't have a ton of money. Should I try to rebuild the motor and chance it or swap or what? I feel screwed for buying this car but have always loved the 2g eclipse turbos. I thought the engines could make mad power, reliably. I wasn't aware of the crankwalk issue untill further reading. Thanks.

now thats more like it. thank you, and i apoligize also for being strait forward with you.
you pretty much have two options. option 1 is to do a 6 bolt swap if you fear crankwalk. if you dont have the money, i have had like 25 dsm turbos', and i've had three cases of crankwalk. but i still would build up another 7 bolt . does not matter what year 7 bolt, ive had them all.. if they are built correctly and not rushed, then they are also reliable. but dont forget. a stock dsm is the most reliable, and after that, every mod you do and more h.p, the less reliable it becomes, imo. ive had fully built 7 bolts break the cranks,and walk. i just had only one 6 bolt. i would not buy a car that has a 7 bolt, and put a 6 bolt. why? thats just me.

I personally know lots of guys making descent power on their stock 7 bolt bottom ends reliabilty (350-450whp) & there are a tonn more on here. The split thrust bearing design shown above was done by Mitsu for the 98 & up model years to help cure crankwalk (or that was their idea, some late built 97's will have the split thrust bearings as well, think its anyone built after June 97 IIRC). The 2g get a bad wrap for crankwalk & alot of it comes from people who don't know what their talking about (I've heard guys claim crankwalk issues with their cars when their issue wasn't anywhere's close to be related to crankwalk).

Thanks guys. So, you think I should just stick with the 98 block and rebuild. You think maybe I should do some of those crankwalk cure procedures just as a precaution? I wanted to swap in a manual tranny but I know that people say that the clutch pressure contributes and I was wanting to know what you think about it. I just cant stand autos, sorry.

Just rebuild the engine RIGHT or do a 6 bolt swap. I have been working on dsm's for 12 years and NEVER had one car crank walk. Its ALL hyped up bullshit in my opinion. Most of the Crankwalk stories are Internet myths. Really its just some dude that spun a rod bearing and he blames it on crankwalk cause some guy on a honda forum said all mitsubishi's crankwalk.

It's Just like the "all DSM's break down constantly" Myth. I think that there is just TOO many HACKS out there doing HACK jobs on their poor dsm. If you do a Hack Job you get Hack results. I know 3 DSMers that Run NO airfilter....just a screen over the turbo for daily driving at 30psi....This type of abuse would KILL ANY car.

DON'T BE A HACK and you'll be all good. :cool:

well, i never even noticed that you have a auto. i thought that just the manual trans got c.w? someone correct me if im wrong. i think its unheard of

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back