The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 TSi awd - Autocross Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Very nice build. I am currently competing in SM with a 16g. I have issues with powering out of corners (understeer), of course. My winter plans include getting the transmission rebuilt and in doing so changing up the front diff. I can't find the front diff you got. Nothing on the Cusco is listed for the 2g. Do one of the Evo part numbers match up? I'm trying to figure out prices.

The only real cure for understeer is the right driving line, unfortunately. However, good LSD front and rear really help make that easier. I would say they each helped with push equally, but in different ways. Don't hesitate to do both. Cusco part # LSD 134F. I got mine from ebay. Tim from TMZ can also get it and the corresponding parts to install.

Autocross is addicting. Good luck!

Last edited:
Nice work on the season finish sir! Any plans to move up competition? Nationals or divisional perhaps?

Thank you! Still have 2 more MSNE events and hopefully I can secure class and overall wins there as well. That would be the icing on the cake for 2017.

Believe it or not, my car is still not fully prepped for SP. The "Road Tire" SP class I run in is not nationally recognized. I have to start using hoosier slicks among a few other things like lose some more weight, switch to E85 for more power, and aero. I should be much closer after this coming winter. The goal will always be to go to Nationals. But, I'd like to continue to develop the car and my driving skills. Still have lots to learn!

(I'm also secretly waiting for the SCCA to introduce the CAM for imports class. I feel like the car can be more competitive with newer/faster cars when there is a street tire handicap.)

Understood there! In SCCA RallyCross, our goal is nationals as well. We have made a clean sweep in our region thus far, but don't feel I fully take advantage of the class modifications. The best I figure it, I am looking at about $7,000 in just suspension (5,000) and tires/rims (2,000) to keep the edge. Well, there is also that traveling bit.

Understood there! In SCCA RallyCross, our goal is nationals as well. We have made a clean sweep in our region thus far, but don't feel I fully take advantage of the class modifications. The best I figure it, I am looking at about $7,000 in just suspension (5,000) and tires/rims (2,000) to keep the edge. Well, there is also that traveling bit.

You're definitely kicking butt! Awesome job.

Yes, the traveling is the biggest hurdle right now. Getting a tow vehicle and trailer is something I plan on doing in the somewhat near future. This will help quite a bit, especially when switching to Hoosiers. The car has been pretty reliable the last 2 years, but that could change as I push the envelope. I drive out of state quite a bit and the last thing I want to deal with is a breaking down nowhere near home.

I finally feel like I've outgrown my koni's and the next step up is something cu$tom. I've considered taking a season off from developing the car in order to save up some more cash. If anything, this is going to be a life long hobby as I certainly don't have the budget to build a fully prepped SP car in 1 or 2 seasons.

Last edited:
On a positive note, I replaced the flywheel with a Clutch Masters 8lb aluminum unit.

View attachment 472930

11lbs lighter than stock. I actually had this thing in storage and completely forgot about it until now. After measuring the step height with a set of digital calipers, I installed it as is. It had very minimal miles on it. Excited to remove 11lbs off the front end. I also measured my clutch disc and it still has quite a bit of life left. What didn't have much life left were my front brake pads. Replaced with the same Wilwood PB-10 compound. They warm up relatively quickly so I'm happy with them.

Next event is with MotorsportsNE on Saturday, 9/30/17. Lets see how the car does!

How's the car drive with that flywheel? Still streetable?

Surprisingly very well. I've had issues with this flywheel on a previous DSM, but not this time around. Keep in mind... my motor, turbo, and intake manifold are all stock. I'm sure that is helping the ECU keep things stabilized.

Some changes before this weekend's double header....

At the last NNJR event, my lifters started to get very noisy after the first run. Lifter tick went from near non existent to holy shit what just happened. Then all of the sudden after my last run, they went back to silent. Weird. No clue what to do other than switch to some good oil. I've used Mobil 1 European formula and Diesel, Valvoline European, and as of this year, Rotella T6. I honestly don't remember what oil I was using when the lifter collapsed a couple months back, but I'm not going to take any more chances with "off the shelf" stuff. In comes Bradd Penn 10w40 Green oil. High in zinc and phosphates and engineered for performance driving. Need about 7 quarts between the pan and accusump. (used to be 7.5 quarts but I increased air pressure in the sump for some quicker response.)

9BB9E90B-FFDF-422F-A3E4-75C3CDFE3302_zpsaar5zikf.jpg

Over the last few months, Bobby Gould (@ec17pse) and I have been discussing him designing adjustable upper front control arms. As you are aware, he has made a prototype set which are being tested on his car. He also made a 2nd set which are now on my car. Being that I put my car through its paces and the amount of stress autocross does to the car's suspension, Bobby felt that I could give them a good stress test.

BBCDDAB3-E4C8-47DA-ADDE-DF69D64C739F_zpso86khzd1.jpg

5FB1BE7F-4ADD-4AE2-986B-318D36E4EB0C_zpszde39mzx.jpg

They feel very well built and very high quality. I got them on last weekend and rushed for an alignment before the Saturday event.

F56612D8-D06C-42D9-B67B-3C8B18FA955D_zpslyszatuc.jpg

I have Paul Volk's lower front arms on my car and I do use them to increase front track width. When this happens, you lose caster. My car has never had good caster. Bobby's new upper arms have helped me gain that caster back and also get both sides near equal. (2g's run unequal caster when using the stock compression arms.) Honestly, there is still more caster to be gained, but I was in a bit of a rush to get these on and the car aligned in order to not miss the events this weekend.

Setting the camber and caster is quite easy, honestly. The megan arms were more of a pain to deal with and they still used the stock anchor bolts. With Bobby's arms, you get adjustment at all points, and also a little increase in roll resistance. What took me by surprise was how well the steering response now is. An unexpected positive as I already had prothane bushings. The front end feels more solid and the increase in caster also helped keep the car more steady on the highway. I've put about 200 street miles on them (on NJ shitty roads) including 12 autocross runs and so far so good. The best part is how well the front end responds to steering input. Catching the car in mid slide or after trail braking has never been so easy. Very confidence inspiring and the results speak for themselves....

SCCA NNJR - 10/21/2017

1st in class, but still gave up a cone penalty on a run 9 tenths faster. :banghead: Whatever! Fastest clean was 46.1. Good enough for the class win.

This was my last SCCA event of the year. Where did 2017 go? I feel like most of it was a blur.

MSNE - 10/21/2017 PM event

1st in class and 1st in Overall PAX! Jonny and his Evo decided to switch to slicks today. He was able to RAW time me by 0.3 seconds. However, slicks carry a mod point penalty and landed him in R class... 2 classes above me and my car. He ended up finishing 10th in PAX which gives me a 24 point lead for Driver of the Year. :D Next and potentially last event of the year will be on November 4th.

Would like to send a big thanks to Bobby! His arms performed flawlessly and helped me attain one of my best performances to date. You're the man!

I am glad i can help you progress and glad you are happy with them and the results they give you, also big thanks for testing them for me. I wanted an outsiders view on these because these are much needed in our community and while i can be as honest as i can and spec list the details etc etc, it helps from someone elses view and physical contributions aswel with real world feedback of the part to the group!

You don't want that kit. That electric valve is slow and they even list it as street or pre-oiling only.

I got my stuff from pegasus racing. You want the EPC Pro electric valve found here... https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=25811. If memory serves me right, it was about $650 all said and done with -10 fittings and 12 feet of hose.

My Eagle Talon TSI with T25 on street tires vs FTD setting Evo X with 400whp and Hoosier slicks. ROFLROFL

I'll take these results any day. :thumb:

I wish I could like this multiple times. Nothing better than a well crafted purpose built car spanking an overbuilt car :thumb:

...Unless you're just that boss of a driver :hellyeah:

Uh oh, that's not good. Hopefully nothing too crazy. Sounds like you had some trophies coming your way for the season. I wish my region would continue this late in the year.

Wow, been a while since my last update.

Well, as you can see from my post on 11/28/2017, the talon took a turn for the worst. Something in the timing belt let go as I was driving to MSNE's autocross event on 11/4/2017. :( I was cruising on the highway, approaching a red light.... rev matched to downshift from 5th to 3rd and then I heard marbles and the motor quit. Towed her home and she's been sleeping in the garage ever since. The night prior, I had pulled about 40lbs out of the car between installing the Corbeau's and removing some interior bits. The fight for Driver of the Year between Jonny and his Evo X was coming down to the wire and I was willing to go balls out to try and beat him. Unfortunately that never happened while driving the Talon. :(

682DE7BE-657C-4506-A258-9C68D2A0867B_zpsyfot2rro.jpg

I was in a bit of a bad mood and was planning on staying home, but my buddies were not having any of that. MSNE was also gracious enough to let me show up late and my savior, Justin, let me jump in his MR2 again.

Beat Justin by 6 tenths (I think he's not going to let me drive anymore. LOL), 2nd in class, and 6th in overall PAX. 88 total drivers for the day. Luckily, my arch nemesis, Jonny, PAXed 8th so my lead for DOY was still intact.

11/18/2017 - MSNE last event of the season

Talon is still down so needed to find a seat for the last event. My buddy Chris was nice enough to let me jump in his STU prepped Evo X with him. This car is in class B under the MSNE ruleset. This is the same guy/car that always seems to snip me by 3 to 5 tenths at the SCCA events in overall raw time. Should be a good test to see if me driving the Talon just couldn't keep up with him or if he is just that much of a better driver than I.

A05B201B-3058-42C9-99F3-BB8769A6966A_zpshnnah8t1.jpg

Results speak for themselves... 2nd in class and 3rd in overall PAX, falling behind to two gentlemen who have multi national championships each. I was able to beat Chris by 4 tenths and Jonny by slightly over 1 sec. I'm very happy to say that Chris did not out drive me, but rather the Talon is just not on the same level of a prepped Evo X.

Some bloopers in the Evo. LOL

A 51.3 run. Not my fastest, but still good.

With this performance, I was able to secure the Class-B and overall Championship with MSNE. Absolutely one of the happiest moments of my life. When I first started autocrossing in 2016, I had one goal.... to finish on the podium for at least 1 event. I was able to do that and secure Rookie of the Year honors. For 2017, I had a goal of winning my class. Coming out with the overall PAX win was something I only dreamed of doing one day. With some hard work and maybe a little luck, it came earlier than expected. :)

Last edited:
3/6/2018

The Talon is still down and I'm not happy to report that I will not be racing it in the 2018 season. :( With the possibility of DSM's being re-classed from ASP to DSP, I'm going to take the year to rebuild and full prep for SCCA SP competition. See --->http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/calling-all-scca-members-need-your-help.515688/#post-153676073 There is a possibility that it will need a new motor. Between that and other repairs/upgrades, she should be good to go for the 2019 season. I'll be sure to update this thread as the car progresses throughout this year.

For now... I'm prepping my Evo and racing in STU class for 2018. :hellyeah: First event is on 3/18. :dsm:

F993CF48-F40D-4BA1-95C8-5DF5BB26DB4C_zps8dc4yn9i.jpg

Last edited:
Damn. But hopefully we will see the talons built step by step!!

Yes, I'm very eager to get underway. Believe it or not, working on the Evo while the Talon sits idle right next to me puts me in a bad mood. I'm going to try real hard to prep it well and then drive the snot out of it next year.

As soon as the Evo is done and ready, I'll push the Talon back into its usual spot and start tearing into it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back