The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

98 talon tsi road racer

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I actually plan on going to the track on the 12th of January for the 1/8 drag hosted by PBOC. I went last year and it was fun, I was the only dsm though.

Wow, just came across this thread and it sure gives me motivation to do some fiberglass on my track cars. My friend has a business that manufactures boats and this summer when I visit I plan to buy a lot of materials from him to do some work. The thread seems dormant but the OP sure looked like he made regular progress.

Im very curious to learn more about FG, and when to use a mold or not. Im trying to figure out how to make louvers in the fiberglass fenders and hoods of two existing cars I have. And I have a 1g car that I will be turning into a road racer.

Keep the progress on your build coming, this is awesome, I have never seen that much work done for FG on a car ever. The only cars with more are tube frame pure track beasts.

Hey thanks man it may seem like is dormant but it is not, I have been gathering parts, and started doing machine work.

Also very involved on another project similar to mine and making other parts for my buddies I am finishing a set of Miata doors, will save about 100 lbs over the stock ones.

Well I will do a small update, been very busy doing too many projects at one time,
Miata doors finished and installed on car , turn out very nice, each door weights 7 1/2 lbs, in spite of doors being pretty beat up most of the damage did not show up on the new ones.

Meanwhile I have started on the flares, front and rear, I have done one with a 4 inch addition to the top of front fenders but have decided against it as it would involve more work than I want to do now.

Rules require that tire most be covered when looking from the top.

I have found this car to be very difficult to make flares for, the lines of the car being so peculiar, it is hard to make something that is functional and still look decent.
SAM_0893.jpg

Hope to use this on all 4 wheels
SAM_0894.jpg

It covers the tire pretty well
SAM_0895.jpg

15 inch rim, tire is 23 inches
SAM_0896.jpg

This front flare and fender I will not use
SAM_0897.jpg

It would be perfect on a 205 tire
SAM_0898.jpg

SAM_0899.jpg

This we will use on the other project
SAM_0900.jpg

Would like comments positive or negative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, Finally a update again was kinda worried! :hellyeah:

Have you decided on how your doing the engine? are you still shooting for the N/A 1.6?

Still working hard at it, I have a lot of work lately, but I am almost done with the fiber, making a mold now for the front bumper, yes my ugly one, it is a split mold since I have to be able to make changes to it so it can be used in the other project.

My buddies have kept me busy, just finished set of Miata doors and now making a set for a BMW 2002 model not year since they are very hard to come by.

I will post pics of the mold later, I want to finish this as soon as I can so I can make the front flares.

Thanks for your interest and yes I still want to try the 1.6 and see what happens

how is this even possible! one wreck and its all gone

Most race cars today have a lot of fiber or carbon parts, so mine is no different really, except I have more of them.

Thanks for your concern.

how is this even possible! one wreck and its all gone

pretty much like a lotus ;o, a friend got rear ended at 20 mph and it got totaled:ohdamn:

to arrowhead-

The car is looking great! at first i was not convinced but... damn you changed my mind.
You also did a ptretty good job on the rear flares.

If you dont mind me asking, did you made anny progres on the subframe connectors?

pretty much like a lotus ;o, a friend got rear ended at 20 mph and it got totaled:ohdamn:

to arrowhead-

The car is looking great! at first i was not convinced but... damn you changed my mind.
You also did a ptretty good job on the rear flares.

If you dont mind me asking, did you made anny progres on the subframe connectors?

Thanks for your concern, but like I said before, most of the cars today in road racing have quite a bit of glass, carbon or kevlar so it is really not that bad.

Also I will have proper bumpers and reinforcement of chassis with a full roll ca
ge.

the subframe connector it looks like I will take off from underdoor bar and go thru floor to front subframe, this is still up in the air.

I saw a thread where they had welded an angle to existing connectors with another bar next to it, if I find the thread I will let you know this will work but it may be a bit heavy.

This car begs for some kind of reinforcement in this area.

The above mentioned thread may be the way to go if you have any of the interior in the car.

Thanks for your comment.

Wow I just came across this thread and I am sorry I didnt take a look at this a year ago. What an amazing build and very inspiring. It is crazy what a little bit of knowledge and "know how" can go when it comes to custom work. This thread is a must to subscribe to, and I would love to have the pleasure of seeing this build in action once completed.:thumb:

Wow I just came across this thread and I am sorry I didnt take a look at this a year ago. What an amazing build and very inspiring. It is crazy what a little bit of knowledge and "know how" can go when it comes to custom work. This thread is a must to subscribe to, and I would love to have the pleasure of seeing this build in action once completed.:thumb:

Thanks, capt, you are close enough to come on down to one of the races down here.

Have one this week end so been very busy helping others out, all my buddies want something at the last minute.

You better believe I will make a trip down there and take a look at a fine piece of artwork and machinery. Freakin awesome:D

Just a few question if you have time! just having the balls to tackle this job i'll give your props. With that said if you have the money and not rolling pennys then its a hell of a lot easier! i would have bet money chop strand would have been heavier. :D

What weight of mat are you using?
are you controlling the glass to resin ratio at all?
is everything but the dash a one off?

Any plans to move the air on the underside?

You better believe I will make a trip down there and take a look at a fine piece of artwork and machinery. Freakin awesome:D

Be glad to have you down

Ive cant belive what im seeing, this car is so crazy! Great work!

Thanks man.

Just a few question if you have time! just having the balls to tackle this job i'll give your props. With that said if you have the money and not rolling pennys then its a hell of a lot easier! i would have bet money chop strand would have been heavier. :D

What weight of mat are you using?
are you controlling the glass to resin ratio at all?
is everything but the dash a one off?

Any plans to move the air on the underside?

Well the materials are really not that expensive, and I do roll my pennies.

Yes, chop strand would have been heavier, since I can control thickness in critical areas.
Also the equipment is a lot more money and mostly these are small parts.

Always use 3/4 oz. mat for first and 2nd layer then I will add 1 1/2 in different places or the 3/4 as needed, I also use cloth for strength, so is a combo.

I am very stingy with the resin as this is what adds the weight, I use as little as I can but making sure it is all wet.

No I have molds for other pieces, and nothing has been a 1 off, I have made 2 other complete cars besides mine, which I will write up on them in the future.

Thanks to everyone for their interest.

Long overdue update.

The flares shown before for the front will be used on another project.

I have redone and mod the rears that are shown before those.

These are the ones I will be using and molds have been made.

The front will be fender and flare one piece.

This will not my final one, I really dont like it very much, but i will use it for now until I make my wide body one. but that will be in the future.

Attachments

• SAM_0943.jpg
    SAM_0943.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 163
  • SAM_0942.jpg
    SAM_0942.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 172
  • SAM_0940.jpg
    SAM_0940.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 163
  • SAM_0939.jpg
    SAM_0939.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 186
  • SAM_0937.jpg
    SAM_0937.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 174
  • SAM_0920.jpg
    SAM_0920.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 177
  • SAM_0906.jpg
    SAM_0906.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 161
  • SAM_0903.jpg
    SAM_0903.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 167
  • SAM_0902.jpg
    SAM_0902.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 165
  • SAM_0901.jpg
    SAM_0901.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 184
Long time between updates, but still making progress.

I have finished the exterior glass work, when the car gets done with roll cage and mechanical work, it will all go back together for final fitment and paint.

I know some people like to get the painting done first but I have always left it for last, since my experience has been if you paint first you will end up with a bunch of dings and scratches, I know painting first is a great motivator.

I have received a couple of prices on having the car wrap but they are very high and also very heavy.

Next comes cutting from the strut towers front and rear and making bumpers and rad mount out of aluminum.

On with the show:

As always comments, good, bad, ugly will be welcome.

Attachments

• SAM_0981.jpg
    SAM_0981.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 181
  • SAM_0978.jpg
    SAM_0978.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 186
  • SAM_0977.jpg
    SAM_0977.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 191
  • SAM_0976.jpg
    SAM_0976.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 175
  • SAM_0975.jpg
    SAM_0975.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 185
  • SAM_0968.jpg
    SAM_0968.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 183
  • SAM_0967.jpg
    SAM_0967.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 187
  • SAM_0983.jpg
    SAM_0983.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 173
  • SAM_0985.jpg
    SAM_0985.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 183
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back