The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

98 Talon AWD Street Modified

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well thanks to Pauleyman I figured out my no start issue, and that I got stiffed on what I thought were 1000cc injectors.
Turns out the shop that installed the injectors also didn't crimp the pins on the connector (at least on the #4 injector) and one of the wires pulled out at some point.
Also got the Accusump working again, called Canton Racing Products up and went over a few things, tightening the Schrader valve turned out to be the trick, fingers crossed.
20220529_204145.jpg

Bought some scales; with 2 gallons of fuel the car weighed in at 2804. No way I could actually run this fuel level and not fuel starve.
The minimum weights for Street Modified is 2820 (running 285 or wider tires) or 2640 (275 or less).
This year however I'm running street tires in Xtreme Street A, where the min weight is 3000 lbs. So with ~15 gallons of gas and two 50 lb weight bags, the car is just legal.
Need to top off before the event this weekend.
20220531_184144.jpg

20220531_184159.jpg

What psi valve do you have for the Accusump? How did you know it wasn't working? I am curious about mine as well because when I spun the rod bearing a few years ago, my accusump was still sitting there at full pressure. It would be nice to know if I have something set up wrong before I get the new car running

What psi valve do you have for the Accusump? How did you know it wasn't working? I am curious about mine as well because when I spun the rod bearing a few years ago, my accusump was still sitting there at full pressure. It would be nice to know if I have something set up wrong before I get the new car running
The 20-25psi valve, I was just copying my buddies set-up from his ESP Talon. I still don't know if it is actually working while on course, I need to put a GoPro facing the gauge to double check.

Last edited:
So this picture was taken 5-10 seconds prior to my 2nd gear becoming 2nd Neutral :cry:
Jacks "Stage 5" with Evo 3 input shaft and Evo 3 Gearset, maybe 20 autocross events on it.

20220605_1.jpg

The upgrades for this off-season are aerodynamics. Got the splitter done, now I just need the wing to show up.
Built the splitter to the limits of the Autocross classes I run (SM or XSA): splitter cannot be wider than the car body and cannot extend further than 6" from the bumper as viewed from above.
Currently it sits 2" from the ground with a -.8 degree angle.
This will be splitter version 1, as I will be able to make it wider when I get around to fender flares.
Picked up the mounts, rods and diffusers from www.professionalawesome.com. Parts look great, great communication and they ship out fast.
The rubber airdam angle & edging were sourced from www.mcmaster.com
The splitter itself is 6mm alumalite purchased from a local sign supply store.

20230307_191312.jpg
20230307_192329.jpg
20230307_192338.jpg

Got surprised at the awards banquet for last year, I knew I won my class, but apparently I also hit more cones than anyone else for the whole season
(and I only did 70% of the events)
20230307_192639.jpg

First, splitter looks great. For SM, it says the splitter has to be flat. "Aerodynamically functional vertical members are not allowed". It mentions diffusers or ducting being part of that. Looks like you bolted them on so I guess you could run them in XA and bolt in a plate for SM, maybe? I'm about to re-do my splitter too and checked the rules again and saw that.

In other news, I saw XA now excludes SS and AS cars. That means you would have been 2nd at nats in my underprepped DSM haha. And now min weight is with the driver but they bumped it up to 3180. Still so heavy but could have alot of rear ballast for balance.

First, splitter looks great. For SM, it says the splitter has to be flat. "Aerodynamically functional vertical members are not allowed". It mentions diffusers or ducting being part of that. Looks like you bolted them on so I guess you could run them in XA and bolt in a plate for SM, maybe? I'm about to re-do my splitter too and checked the rules again and saw that.

In other news, I saw XA now excludes SS and AS cars. That means you would have been 2nd at nats in my underprepped DSM haha. And now min weight is with the driver but they bumped it up to 3180. Still so heavy but could have alot of rear ballast
I weight around 200 lbs, so that is a net 20lb reduction, LOL.
When I ordered the diffusers, I was like, maybe I should check the rules, but naaah, so fast so furious. Easy enough to remedy when I start buying real tires again.

Found an issue on first test drive with the new rear Giro Disc 2 piece rotors. No problem, I have an angle grinder.

20230312_173550.jpg
20230312_174349.jpg

I weight around 200 lbs, so that is a net 20lb reduction, LOL.
When I ordered the diffusers, I was like, maybe I should check the rules, but naaah, so fast so furious. Easy enough to remedy when I start buying real tires again.
XA looks like it is going to be a fun class to run in.

2 piece rotors are also on the wishlist. I want to offset the heavier wheel/tire combo as much as possible. Carbon driveshaft would be nice too

First event of the season in the books, defending my title of cone killer looks to be in jeopardy, currently tied for 19th.
FTD and top PAX time takes away the sting.
Also, turns out 2" is a bit too low on the splitter.
For the time it was on the car, the butt dyno says it is doing something, namely making the rear end too loose. Big rear wing will fix that.
20230319_132059.jpg
20230319_175753.jpg

First event of the season in the books, defending my title of cone killer looks to be in jeopardy, currently tied for 19th.
FTD and top PAX time takes away the sting.
Also, turns out 2" is a bit too low on the splitter.
For the time it was on the car, the butt dyno says it is doing something, namely making the rear end too loose. Big rear wing will fix that.
View attachment 690351View attachment 690352
Are you running it in XA or SM this year? Or both?

Are you running it in XA or SM this year? Or both?
XA, not in a rush to do SM at the moment. Work out the bugs with less expensive tires.

Raised the splitter half an inch, still not enough. Time to raise it again.
Got the wing installed. I don't think I've seen a similar mounting method. Probably because it is dumb, infinitely adjustable for no reason, LOL.
I think I have some suspension tuning to do with the new aero, car got a little pushy on corner exit. Still good enough for 2nd raw (to an XP Miata) and 5th on Pax.
Also put the spare rear bumper cover on, took a first pass at trimming it to eliminate any parachute effect since I don't run the rear fender liners.
Now I just need to get some action shots.

20230326_092916.jpg

1680059684098.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back