The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

98 Spyder GS 47K Mi Purchased - Now What?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyjames

Probationary Member
Dec 2, 2011
Huntsville, Alabama
First post from DSM newbie. I just purchased a 1998 Spyder with only 47,000 miles that seems to be in what I would call mint condition for "only" $7900. Take a look:

http://www.floridacars1.com/web/vehicle_photos/889826

So...I'm interested in sharing my adventure with other DSM enthusiasts. Good car? Bad car? Good Deal? Bad Deal? What next for (preventative) maintenance? I'm having the timing belt and water pump changed out (my stepson is a mechanic so "free" labor) and I'm looking at some top stack link changeout kits - what else?

I don't have much of an interest in going too far down the tuner road, which is obvious with a non-turbo and auto transmission - but is a Secret Weapon cold air intake mod worth it?

Last edited:
Well, I didn't waste much time buying this car once I found it and took it for a test drive but I wouldn't exactly say it was an impulse buy. I've been looking for some time now to spend $10K or less in replacing my current convertible, a 98 Chev Cav A/T with 165K miles. They stopped making those in 2000 so I've been looking at the GS Eclipse Spyder instead as a same-in-weight/size/hp-class replacement since they've only stopped production of Spyders just the past few months with the 2011/2012 model. With this 98 Spyder GS, mission accomplished. I've always liked the looks of the Spyder - much more so than the older MR2, which I passed on buying a very nice convertible in my price range. The GST is cool but not really something I would need on my daily commute after the first dozen or so obligatory speed runs. I actually looked at possibly getting a 2009 or 2010 Chevy Cobalt SS turbo, which has surprisingly impressive performance and is otherwise pretty much the car I'm used to, but there's no ragtop version and I'd rather have the Spyder GS.

I understand there's no limit to how deep you can go modding Eclipses, even going the bolt-on turbo route on the 2.4L GS, and my hat is off to those of you who keep that tradition going. Not my thing, tho. I'd just like to keep this GS it pristine condition in the next 5-10 years to come and try to educate myself on some of the typical problems that Mitsus have as part of their charm. This site has already given me a lot of insight in the forums on modding the top stack to avoid convertible mechanism failures, and that's worth the price of admission alone. Any other advice or insight appreciated.

Last edited:
If I would be you, I wouldn't bother on doing a full Maintenance at this time..

The car has barely 50 miles, so that's to early to do the timing belt, water pump etc, etc,...
I would drive it and if yo want to stay on the safe way, I would say,,,, do the Maintenance at 80 or 100, and you will be more then save,,,,,,,

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back