The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

98 gxs auto help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyinTalon

10+ Year Contributor
May 24, 2009
jeffersonville, Indiana
I just pick up a 100% stock 98 gsx eclipse and it's my first time owning a auto. The tranny is leaking fluid pretty good between were the transfer case bolts up to the transmission, thinking its the output shaft seal for the transfer case. My question is I got the front tires up in the air checking out the leak and I can spin the front wheels with the rear once on the ground if I get under the car I cant turn the drive shaft is that normal? I know I can't do this with my talon. thxs alot for any help.

Yes, this is normal. The front wheels are probably spinning opposite directions which is the way the gearing is set up inside the transmission. The drive shaft should not spin with the rear wheels on the ground. If it did, the car would move and you would get hurt. You could jack up the back and spin the wheels, they should spin, but in opposite directions. The drive shaft will stay still.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back