The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 gsx

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resize your pictures in Paint or another program before you try to upload them. I shrink mine 50% usually and they will load then. :thumb:

Yes I do that too. Text or email them to yourself and resize it before you send it and then it will be reduced and you can post it up here. My phone takes pictures that are too big to fit on here too so that's how I work around that.

Always nice to see a bone-stock DSM! Especially for those 180k miles on it, sure looks like it held up well to time.

You mentioned your father worked in the DSM factory? Do you mind sharing a bit more, like what did he do there. Any interesting stories? I've been looking for some more in-depth info about DSM in Illinois and wanted to contact someone who's worked there for a story or two.

Good luck with the build and welcome to DSMTuners!

Yeah the car is 100% stock even has 10 disc changers in the trunk LOL!!! Super nostalgia not working at the moment but anyway. Yeah my dad started off in the sheet metal section making the body he told me; fenders, quarter panels etc..he also said when they would come off the line they would go test them. They had a test area at the plant. He said they used to hall a $! When testing them.:hellyeah::sneaky: he's retired now as of November 2016 they officially closed the plant. Oh! He also said him and his buddy could take one apart in like 15min I thought that was super cool. I've never even pulled an engine before. I told him I bought a gsx a few weeks ago and he said he probably put it together on the line. We'll at this poi t I really don't know if I'm going to keep it. I really just don't have the time or a garage. Once I get past probationary period more than likely post for sale.

It really depends on support from dsm tuners he in st louis/st charles area. Weather or not I'll keep it. Don't what direction to go or brands far as parts. I don't wanna do a whole lot cause I dint won't any issues cause the car has no issues. Just need the right group of tuners here. I just want basics done maybe 350 whp :sneaky: that's it If that. Tell me what I need to achieve that any I'll go from there.

That's really interesting to know, thanks for sharing! My advice is; if you'll be selling it on in the next year or two, just keep it stock as it is and try looking for its full previous history documentation. Bone-stock DSMs (in good condition) are very sought after and you can make some nice cash if you find the right person!

If you want to make it faster and keep it, you can easily obtain that 350 whp with an EVO 3 16G turbo (or just a big16G in the US), 750 injectors, 255 lph pump, 3" full exhaust and a tune if you have the spare money, however you should take it to an experienced tuner as it's not something you can just do even if you buy things like ECM link and similar. Tuning is learned!

Cool thanks!!! I'll keep that in mind. For the upgrades what do you put on first like the order. Do you do bigger turbo or injectors fuel pump or does it matter? Can you do it one at a time or will it mess the motor up?

Can anyone tell why these cars get such a bad rep in the tuning community? Is it mainly honda tuners? The whole crankwalk issue? Any car can crankwalk if you beat it up bad and don't do the maintenance on it. Just really really curious.

Honestly it's best if you do it all at once, like not in a day literally, but just buy all the parts needed and install them. Theoretically you will first put in the bigger fuel pump, then injectors, then fuel regulator. Then swap out the turbo along with its exhaust manifold, O2 housing and downpipe+exhaust all the way till the muffler (delete catalytic converter if you're not worried about emissions). I forgot to mention, that for power over 250hp, it is advised to put in aftermarket rods and possibly pistons. Maybe Eagle rods with Wiseco pistons (classic combination), or something similar. Then while the engine is disassembled you can replace the head bolts with ARP studs. When all the parts are put back together, you can move on to the tuning of the ECU. Otherwise the car wont know what to do with all these new parts and it will run like literal crap.

I have tested it before; if you just put a bigger pump and for example 560cc injectors, it will run filthy rich and lose about 30% of its power if not more. It's all about the proper tuning, so I suggest you read up a bit more here on the forums and decide how you want to do this. I've just given the most basic example further up to give you an idea.

P.S DSMs don't really have a bad rep. It's just that they are old cars by now, most beaten to shit (they were meant to be beaten) and not many people take proper care of their cars, resulting in poor maintenance and many issues. Crankwalk can happen to almost any engine, yes, but 2nd gen DSMs with the 7 bolt 4G63 were more prone to it because of their main bearing design, but also because of the inability of the lubrication system to do its damn job at higher RPMs. Hell, I can give you 10 more reasons why crankwalk happens, but that would just start an argument.

DSMs are awesome cars as long as you treat them well. If it's properly maintained, you can beat the shit out of it and it will go strong!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back