The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 GSX Time Trial build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow! That’s awesome!! Stack?
Yeah - 90's racing electronics at its finest. When I melted the bearings out of my 7-bolt due to low oil - and the stock instrumentation gave no warning - I decided that instrumentation would never let me down again.

dp2.jpg dp4.jpg image0.jpeg image0 copy.jpeg image0-2.jpeg

Ok. Good progress yesterday. Got the dash back in. Took a lot of messing around with the dash to get it to actually go back in, but it’s there. Now it’s time to start making all the connections and wiring up the plugs I want to do to make the dash easily removable. Not that I think it’s going to be going in and out all the time, but just to make life easier in the future if it does have to come back out. Nearing the firing up goal. I want to fire the car up March 4th, that way I have some time to diagnose any possible issues.

If anyone has any tips on how to make the dash easily removable, while not looking like junk, let me know. Cause right now the passenger side is all hacked up from trying get it around the cage.

0E0A1D54-9C3C-4421-9A81-44FFBE0D459C.jpeg

Last edited:
A bit of progress today. I got a nice heel plate from Racebred Components, but of course the cat hump jammed me up. So I just notched the hump to allow the plate to sit. The floor is a disaster, so it’ll take some custom shims to get it to be all nice. But, good progress while I wait for the (hopefully) least connector I need for the wiring project.
2BA20F2E-7EA6-4304-B66D-0D33814A5257.jpeg

Ok. Good progress over the weekend. Dash plug is wired and the bulkhead at the fuse box panel is done as well. I did the bulkheads for the power and ground in the firewall as well. Going to run the alternator power to the back of the starter, and then run that back to the firewall bulkhead. Making progress. We’re away this weekend, but I’m getting confident that I’ll be able to fire the car up by my March 4th goal.
B01F532C-B9CA-4A8D-B9B4-200A91D6990B.jpeg
816F50B0-73AB-4D56-9922-F0939A126D8F.jpeg
8F4901BC-B62F-43FA-B8EF-0F09FB55607E.jpeg
C62AB0A2-2D57-4742-870F-D2A94AC7E587.jpeg

Hard to believe just by looking at it, but the motor is pretty much wired up. Have to run two wires down to the alternator, and run the wiring for the fans and fuel pump, and the main power to the starter and alternator, but it’s really close to firing up! Very excited. Going to start prepping for paint in the interior next week. Hopefully I can meet my goal of firing up the car on March 4th. Then I get to pull the trans so I can install the quaife front Diff and boostin’ bearing plate. Still a lot to do.
88BE404D-3D32-476E-80BC-64DB8434BC5D.jpeg

Good progress last night. Intake is bolted up. Harness is ran to the engine. Only thing I’m trying to figure out is the boost controller. But coming along. Maybe about two or three hours left to get the car wiring done. Then paint the inside of the car, then pull the trans to install the diff and bearing plate. Plugging away.
FBD86627-03CD-414E-B360-6F5124572227.jpeg

after watching you're insta video this ( link below ) IS the EXACT way to set them up properly! this will allow the most rebound and droop for you while allowing you to setup for hitting the bump stop before hitting the fender.

do no pre load as suggested as its not the best way for setting up coilovers with helper springs!

also are these helper 4lbs or tender springs? tender springs tend to be more lbs rating and can be a funny thing to dial in if its working with the main spring. tenders have to be more precisely matched and the whole cars data recorded to get this tender to work.

helper is simple close by hand spring that keeps the main spring in check. does nothing but that

follow the install details and you will get it setup up perfectly well and also note to remember NOW all heights are adjusted VIA the spring and NOT the lower shock perch

after watching you're insta video this ( link below ) IS the EXACT way to set them up properly! this will allow the most rebound and droop for you while allowing you to setup for hitting the bump stop before hitting the fender.

do no pre load as suggested as its not the best way for setting up coilovers with helper springs!

also are these helper 4lbs or tender springs? tender springs tend to be more lbs rating and can be a funny thing to dial in if its working with the main spring. tenders have to be more precisely matched and the whole cars data recorded to get this tender to work.

helper is simple close by hand spring that keeps the main spring in check. does nothing but that

follow the install details and you will get it setup up perfectly well and also note to remember NOW all heights are adjusted VIA the spring and NOT the lower shock perch

Yes awesome! I was aware of how to setup the coilover as far droop being 1/3rd total travel and all that, but have been curious about doing it with helper spring. Yes, the helper is quite soft and not one of the tender springs. Thanks for the link!! It will definitely help when the time comes.

Yes awesome! I was aware of how to setup the coilover as far droop being 1/3rd total travel and all that, but have been curious about doing it with helper spring. Yes, the helper is quite soft and not one of the tender springs. Thanks for the link!! It will definitely help when the time comes.
Its alot of faffing about but easily done. Allow a good 5mm ish for tire expansion gap of the fender also. Some people use cutouts of the wheel for weight and ease to check but it does not always tell you the final story if its tight or space around it all so its alloying jacking with a wheel on but its the best option going to be most accurate.

Any questions just message me on any platform we speak on. You might know this but worth a mention that initial setup of height will change once the shocks have had a cycle and rested so might get closer to the fender then once preset.

Well, no fire up. Fuel pump and ECU come on, but there’s something wonky with the starter relay. I’ll have to look more into what’s going on hopefully today or tomorrow. But my buddy got the back half of the car painted, really liking how it’s coming out. Two or three coats of this paint and the interior will really look great.
6234257E-5F41-42B1-B56A-14E9924AF618.jpeg

Well, no fire up. Fuel pump and ECU come on, but there’s something wonky with the starter relay. I’ll have to look more into what’s going on hopefully today or tomorrow. But my buddy got the back half of the car painted, really liking how it’s coming out. Two or three coats of this paint and the interior will really look
Does it crank? Clutch/cruise switches, maybe? When I tried to get mine running after swapping to a new car, I spent hours trying to figure out and that's all it was. Clutch switch mod hadn't been done on the new car and i completely forgot hahah. You did just rewire your whole car though. Looks great, excited to see it in action this year. Seeing everyone getting ready, this year should be an interesting one for the DSMs built for turning.

Does it crank? Clutch/cruise switches, maybe? When I tried to get mine running after swapping to a new car, I spent hours trying to figure out and that's all it was. Clutch switch mod hadn't been done on the new car and i completely forgot hahah. You did just rewire your whole car though. Looks great, excited to see it in action this year. Seeing everyone getting ready, this year should be an interesting one for the DSMs built for turning.
Just something happening with the starter signal circuit. Keeps popping the fuse for the signal side of the relay. So I just have to look into that. Leaning towards the starter being bad. Gonna try a little test today, and then pull the dash and fuse panel and continue painting. Yeah! I’m excited for those of us that turn.

More paint work. Almost wrapping this up. Got a coat down on the cage. Will try and finish the paint work this week, so I can flock the dash and start final assembly this weekend. A buddy of mine is coming by to help pull the trans to install the bearing plate and Quaife Diff. Then once that’s done, it’s time to reinstall the trans, install the new coilovers, and finish some other stuff. Coming along.
833AA826-B389-4422-94C0-B6E8277038EE.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back