The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

98 GSX Time Trial build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loaded up and almost ready to go. Just have to load the truck when I get home we out! Looking like rain at least the first half of the day, so it’s going to be a rainx type situation. I’ll bring my power probe, a switch/relay and a wiper and see if it gets bad enough to warrant taking time to wire something up. Sucks it’s going to rain cause I was looking forward to data to help find time when I’m back at NJMP in two weeks for GridLife. But Sunday at Lightning looks to be beautiful out. Perfect conditions for racing. And FINALLY will be able to put the PiLink to use and get data for Ken at BlackSheep tuning to do his magic. I never sealed my splitter, so hopefully the rain doesn’t totally destroy it LOL. But it was out in the wet at Palmer and survived fine so, I’m not too worried. Excited to get back on track!
A7BF3D23-F232-43EC-8B28-6E83D38F9FE7.jpeg
B4B0769E-ACC1-42A1-BECE-3E5F5163D94B.jpeg

NJMP update. Rain. Saturday was rain pretty much from 9am on. It finally stopped at around 7:30ish. And it wasn’t a hard rain most of the time. There were some very light sprinkles. But it made the day a lot fun. Think the boost solenoid has died. No control of boost so I just bypassed it to run the 15psi spring pressure in the gate. Once that was fixed, I was able to floor it and started having a lot of fun. A lot of sliding around. The CRS is a very fun tire even in the wet. Never really got the the temps into them like I should’ve…but they went well. Improved over the sessions and was able to win in class. It’s a small class, only two cars on Saturday, but the other car is a super well prepped C7 vette. So when I do well against him, I feel pretty good.
Sunday was sunny and warm. I got black flagged on Saturday cause I was getting splitter flutter and the Professional Awesome splitter pucks were sparking all over. So I spent the first session making new splitter rods. Went out for second session, car was doing well. Building speed. Coming out of the bowl on the third or fourth lap, the transmission demons struck again and car is stuck in fourth. Not sure what happened. I really don’t think it’s a shift fork since that’s the billet fork from magnus. Still, was able to get fast enough for 2nd before that happened. Bummed it ended our day early, but got some really good info. Had the pilink finally up and running at an event. So I got Ken at Black Sheep Tuning some good data. Hopefully we can figure out the boost control issue before GridLife in two weeks, or I’m just going to have to order higher springs for the wastegate. Need as much power as we can get!! Still though a 1st in the wet and 2nd with trans issues isn’t terrible. Next up, GridLife New Jersey in two weeks. Crunch time to get the car repaired.
72F11538-A20F-49B4-96A2-4CAAC4DF6700.jpeg
8FC74197-EAC5-44AA-B8B1-1FF04E54AF39.jpeg
7F521F0B-54F8-468C-ABCB-2ED783532723.jpeg
6192A740-B18F-457D-90F6-3F41F5FAC581.jpeg
61E70B5B-CB3F-4A0E-B9A5-5C98A54A1F76.jpeg

So updates: got the car home and took the trans apart, and as expected one the gates in the shift selector broke. I had spares so I was able to make a pretty quick repair. The trans is back in the car and car is on the trailer ready to head down to GridLife at NJMP this weekend. Excited/nervous. It’s going to be very hot this weekend. Mid to upper 90’s. So I might just keep my sessions in the morning and not even attempt to set a time in the afternoon. The track will be super greasy by that point and the ambient temps aren’t going to do anything good for performance/engine happiness. I predict the fastest times of the weekend will be Sunday morning. So we’ll take whatever data we can get during our earlier sessions, upload a heavy tune for Sunday morning, and do our best. My PB from last year is a 1:29.433. I’m assuming to be competitive, I’ll need to be in the 26’s. I know where I can find time, and as long as I commit to it, I think I can be fairly competitive in class. But we’ll see. Crossing my fingers the car cooperates.
C310C6CB-1B20-4DE3-96AB-946DC77E9935.jpeg
FC25343C-EA39-4389-B843-CCF573F99916.jpeg
33BD44D5-1E96-46F8-B789-3ED58B2BEF02.jpeg
6F4C60D1-AB3F-46CD-B06A-D944A8CD2486.jpeg
09ACAD2E-A36A-404A-815C-05C061DFC7A5.jpeg
B1C21662-85FA-4A63-9438-1314D8CD07D9.jpeg
F001B6D7-4C65-4D49-9577-9F569A6F5192.jpeg
9CBE948D-14CE-481C-97BF-B925698E5F84.jpeg

Thats kick ass. Great job. I too am starting to have success in local autocross after the rebuild, beat the field by a whole second. DSMs are coming back.
View attachment 668254
Hell yeah man!!! Congrats!!! Yeah they are. Car got a lot of attention. Evo Ben from Gears and Gasoline came over on Friday night and talked about the car for a bit. Then Dewey came by. Comes flying into the garages n a scooter and was like “I heard there was a DSM in here and I had to come see for myself.” He seems like he’s gonna be a big help for these cars. He was saying how they’re better than Evos and never got the attention on track they should’ve gotten. Wild weekend.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back