The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

98 GSX Time Trial build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2021 ST2 Time Attack champion.
F5956C62-966E-4411-A249-E9CAAB94F94D.jpeg

Been a minute. So the car left last Thursday to have the cage put in. My buddy is making good progress with it. Hopefully have it back sooner than later. Registered for Lime Rock on April 2nd. Still have stuff to do on the car so the sooner it comes back the better.
FD2C7316-06D5-4B3A-AED5-11E3E2A68AAC.jpeg
B86B3ABF-73DA-48C7-9C95-5A0903356566.jpeg
BCBD79CF-B740-4512-9758-A2182D925933.jpeg
52216E9C-B39D-4502-BCC0-CFA26C954A5C.jpeg
B40A6E07-EF53-45CF-958F-353F84764470.jpeg
05B5F9BA-32DB-45EF-87C3-8D99FDAD7547.jpeg

Whenni redo my cage im moving it back further onto the rear seat raised area. I currently have mine where yours is and its a bugger for hitting your helmet on! It would of been alright if it was tilted further back but then you risk being outside of the cages limits.

Also those base mounts are they reinforced below or inside it? If not they need to be. I did similer again for welding the top up as i dropped it down and then when i did the base plate i welded tube inside to support it all the way through otherwisebthat plate will collapse if its ever crushed

The cage as it sits is in the same place place my roll bar was in. I know there’ll be the A pillar bars and halo now, but my seats also really low. Pretty much mounted right to the floor. And as far as the boxes are concerned, this guy has made a couple hundred cages, including some on “Street Outlaws”. I’ll trust he knows what he’s doing.

Been a minute. Got the car back from the cage guy. Came out great. Really happy with it. Just about one week out from the season opener at Lime Rock. Still got some things to finish. Made a sunroof plug since the sunroof isn’t going back in. It came out ok. Didn’t want to just rivet a plate over the hole. So I made some brackets and made plug to fill the hole. Also got the car balanced and and aligned by my buddy that came to the house and took care of the car. Fired up the engine this week as well. Everything fine on that end. Getting close now.
FB359C03-036A-4258-BEDA-9B91FF8117F8.jpeg
25E93830-7100-4A92-BC70-29F7207FD222.jpeg
403BADFD-7533-4589-8BD4-4D5BE3F4D456.jpeg
1A7D9E4D-54CC-4EA1-8978-BE608E9D6CE6.jpeg

Had the season opener at Lime Rock this past Saturday andddd…another Lime Rock event, another broken transmission. Went slower than my past PB as I was trying to learn the new setup and build speed progressively. But…something happened inside the transmission. Shift selector is jammed. It won’t move up and down. So we’ll see what happens. Going to hopefully get it down and apart today so I can at least get an idea of what’s going on. As long as the gears have teeth, it should be repairable.

Weird how it went now and never before. Must of been going for some time now

Weird how it went now and never before. Must of been going for some time now
I think what happened is, a roll pin came out of the reverse selector and it got wedged between the gears for 4th. Usually, from my experience, too much power through 4th will just blast all the teeth off, whereas this one, the damage seems to line up. The selector is still locked up as well, so need to figure that out also.

Send me more pictures in detail of all the damaged components and where you think the failure mode came from. If it is easier, just shoot them over to my facebook or my email [email protected] and I can give you my take on it too!

Good luck!

Send me more pictures in detail of all the damaged components and where you think the failure mode came from. If it is easier, just shoot them over to my facebook or my email [email protected] and I can give you my take on it too!

Good luck!
Thank you! I’ll take some when I home and email them to you. Really appreciate any insight you might have.

Funny, we both ended up plugging our sunroofs at the same time. Similar concept, but my brackets are lighter, fingers crossed they stand up to chassis flex. What did you use to seal the gap?

Found the culprit of why the shifter was jammed. As fourth started to come apart, a tooth got wedged behind the shift rails. Actually pretty lucky, cause had the gear come all the way apart, it would’ve put a hole in the case. So I’ll take the silver lining. Got some parts lined up. The internals that broke were all 90 parts. So I got some buddies with newer gear train stuff that they’re sending me and I’m trading a my 90 center diff with a buddy that had newer center diff.
ABCC5CA3-25A2-4F00-8C1E-7A0B8EBCCA1F.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back