The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 GSX Time Trial build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotcha. I couldn't see it in the pics - hopefully that's enough to break the air going over the hood to allow the under hood air to escape. It probably is. If it were me I might go with a little bigger lip, but then again that's just me being a little obsessive about that sort of thing. You're probably good.
Water temps are pretty stable at 210. Oil temps get to about 240.

So long as you're not seeing other negative effects from heat - things melting, issues with external wastegates, power steering and alternators getting too hot, you should be good.
The alternator is the biggest issue I have as far as heating is concerned. Working on a blower setup. Just going to run some brake ducting to the back of the alternator from the bumper to blow air on it. These Galant alternators are getting hard to find.

The alternator is the biggest issue I have as far as heating is concerned. Working on a blower setup. Just going to run some brake ducting to the back of the alternator from the bumper to blow air on it. These Galant alternators are getting hard to find.
Yeah, heat shields and ducting might help some but being so close to the exhaust manifold makes it really tough. You might have to consider going with the GM alternator, and/or maybe relocating it to the back with the Jay Racing kit.

Yeah, heat shields and ducting might help some but being so close to the exhaust manifold makes it really tough. You might have to consider going with the GM alternator, and/or maybe relocating it to the back with the Jay Racing kit.
Yeah that's what I'd like to do. The GM alternator is definitely on the list. The issue with relocating it is I have the JMF coil mount bracket on the back of the block and I'm pretty sure it uses a couple of the holes required for the relocation kit.

Yeah that's what I'd like to do. The GM alternator is definitely on the list. The issue with relocating it is I have the JMF coil mount bracket on the back of the block and I'm pretty sure it uses a couple of the holes required for the relocation kit.
It might use the holes but I can't imagine there isn't a way to make it work. I was looking at using both a while back but never finished the process of solving that. Putting the alternator in the back would really help with longevity.

That, combined with an MR2 power steering pump and you'd have those two components out of the way, with no more worries of the manifold overheating them. And more space to get creative with radiator ducting up to the hood vent. :) That's where a lot of my focus was before life got in the way.

It might use the holes but I can't imagine there isn't a way to make it work. I was looking at using both a while back but never finished the process of solving that. Putting the alternator in the back would really help with longevity.

That, combined with an MR2 power steering pump and you'd have those two components out of the way, with no more worries of the manifold overheating them. And more space to get creative with radiator ducting up to the hood vent. :) That's where a lot of my focus was before life got in the way.
Definitely will look into it. My buddy actually put a Nissan Versa electric power steering setup. No fluid or lines. Goes right on the steering column. I've already leaned the radiator forward 3" or so. Got some work to do LOL

Definitely will look into it. My buddy actually put a Nissan Versa electric power steering setup. No fluid or lines. Goes right on the steering column. I've already leaned the radiator forward 3" or so. Got some work to do LOL
A Versa power steering set up? Nice! Would love to see a write up for that posted here. I remember discussing full electric systems with hydraulic/electric systems with other road racers/autocrossers many years ago and the thoughts were that full electric might not be a great solution for these cars - but that was a long time ago and there could easily be new findings on that. Any time you can simplify things you're ahead of the game.

Keep it up man.

Im running the jmf smim and a gm altentator its tight but you will have enough holes to mount and it with no modifications.

Yep me too it all works good.
Have any photos of the engine bay? I'm sure there are some scattered in your build thread - but would you mind uploading some directly to your vehicle profile? You can do that by editing the profile and uploading more photos to it there.

Yeah its a tight fit but ill do what i can since its all together i dont have any with the smim on and coil i should have taken some.

Have you looked at the prius columns? I literally just finished the install on a buddies 2g last weekend with the prius electric column and it worked out super well. Just a 3 wire system that tucks up under the knee bolster no issue and we were able to retain all the factory functions on the column (tilt, wipers, turn signals, wheel etc). I was worried it would be over assisted but it actually has a nice heavier (near OEM) feel to it turning his 245s.

Have you looked at the prius columns? I literally just finished the install on a buddies 2g last weekend with the prius electric column and it worked out super well. Just a 3 wire system that tucks up under the knee bolster no issue and we were able to retain all the factory functions on the column (tilt, wipers, turn signals, wheel etc). I was worried it would be over assisted but it actually has a nice heavier (near OEM) feel to it turning his 245s.
Where's that write-up?!?!?! :) Need that documented in the Tech Articles section, can even embed a video in the write-up.

Yeah the versa is the same. He was able to use the factory covers and switches.

Here's the beginning stages of my surge tank setup. As per the rules, it has to have a firewall, so I bought a Taylor metal battery box to put the surge tank in. This surge tank came with a "044" pump, but I ordered a proper Bosch unit to put in the tank. This is going to be an off-season project just because I don't really have the budget left to buy all the fittings and line I'll need. So for the next couple events, I'll just have to make sure that The car is full of fuel each time I go out. This weekend, I'll continue work on the splitter. View attachment 631183View attachment 631184View attachment 631182

Where's that write-up?!?!?! :) Need that documented in the Tech Articles section, can even embed a video in the write-up.
I didn't take enough photos with his install for a write-up, but I have a few more to do including a few personal cars so I'll try and be more detail oriented in it to post one. It's really simple though on a 2g at least. 1g doesn't appear to be any more difficult.
Yeah the versa is the same. He was able to use the factory covers and switches.
I hadn't looked at the versa columns I guess, the Vue and prius seemed to be the 2 popular ones when I started on his. One more junkyard car to add to the list! Worth while upgrade though, hoping we can get his car out on track and actually test functionality and feed back on the track soon though, if not I plan to install one in my track BMW once I get my tesla electric brake booster installed. I run a similar tire setup in the BMW which should be a comparable feedback test for a dsm at least.

I didn't take enough photos with his install for a write-up, but I have a few more to do including a few personal cars so I'll try and be more detail oriented in it to post one. It's really simple though on a 2g at least. 1g doesn't appear to be any more difficult.

I hadn't looked at the versa columns I guess, the Vue and prius seemed to be the 2 popular ones when I started on his. One more junkyard car to add to the list! Worth while upgrade though, hoping we can get his car out on track and actually test functionality and feed back on the track soon though, if not I plan to install one in my track BMW once I get my tesla electric brake booster installed. I run a similar tire setup in the BMW which should be a comparable feedback test for a dsm at least.

Is it speed variable? Or is it the same assist level regardless of mile an hour?

Nice, looking forward to reading about the testing on that. It could be a great solution for DSM road racers and autocrossers, since the MR2 pumps are not as plentiful.

I got the 3D printed ducts from Da dude here and the drivers one is going to be for this alt cooling as i wanted to have some air flow to it also. While my heat shield seems to deflect alot of the radiant heat currently its always good to have come air into it to help cool it. Also no shortage of galant alts here buddy LOL

Chris im about to buy a DCE pro kit so once i figured it all out i will do a full write up on this then if your wanting a full Electronic setup listed.

Is it speed variable? Or is it the same assist level regardless of mile an hour?
Currently it's the same output regardless of speed. There was talk of being able to control them like the prius via a speed sensor, but I haven't looked into it in the past 2 years when we first started on this project.

I got the 3D printed ducts from Da dude here and the drivers one is going to be for this alt cooling as i wanted to have some air flow to it also. While my heat shield seems to deflect alot of the radiant heat currently its always good to have come air into it to help cool it. Also no shortage of galant alts here buddy LOL
Yeah yeah.....rub it in LOL. Just gonna go Saturn Alternator eventually. Gonna put fresh air on this alternator and hopefully it works.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back