The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 GSX Time Trial build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mine was not as bad as yours in the wells but even then its tricky. I ended up poly sealing all the joints so no more water can find its way through causing issues. Its a very messy job and i got pics to prove how messy it can be and is on my page. Wear a hat and full face covering i say as i ate so much grit. All i can say is enjoy the job as i dont ever wish to do it again!!!! EVER!!!! HAHA

They look worse than they are. They're still solid. I'm only gonna do the fronts this off season, then next year I'll worry about the rears.

All my ingredients are here LOL. Hopefully get to work in the garage for a little bit today.
PXL_20201127_172914794.jpg
PXL_20201126_012534946.jpg
PXL_20201127_161828122.jpg

What's the por15 for? I was thinking about using it on my beat-up engine bay.

The P.O.R stands for Paint Over Rust. It will completely stop rust from continuing to do damage and keeps more from starting up. I figure with the amount of issues these cars have with strut tops rotting out, this will be a big help in keeping the car from disintegrating.

Wow I’m speechless, that came out very good looking tire well.

I love it, I really enjoy a thread when there is a lot of passion involved.

Keep it up bro.

Appreciate it! Thank you. Really looking forward to not having to mess around with the car too much and focus on turning every lap next season

A few updates: working on getting the new intercooler mounted along with vbanding the charge pipe from the turbo to the intercooler. I ordered a polycarbonate rear window from optic armor. That got delivered yesterday. Got the gopro setup from wired remote setup on the car as well. Hopefully now I'll remember to turn it on. Working on the new seatbelt setup. Got the fuel gauge wired. I'll post pics in a bit.

So much needed updates. Got the intercooler mounted and the vbanded tubing done. And everything else that needed to be done.
We went to Lime Rock on April 3rd. Went out first session, popped an intercooler coupler further down the line, but everything else was fine. Came in after it popped, and shortly after a Corvette wrecked and ended the session early, so didn't really miss out on too much time.
Went out second session on 15psi and the car was really singing. Got stuck behind Some traffic and downshifted to 3rd, and the car stayed in fourth. Figured I stretched a shift cable. Came in and after some diagnosis, determined that the 3-4 shift fork had broken. The trans was a shep Stage 3 so I was pretty shocked that my car on low power would damage it. Decided we came to win and sent it in the final session. Had a crew of buddies get me going by pushing me down the paddock. Went out and did really well. Coming out of T2, the car just revved like it was in neutral. Figured it had popped out of 4th finally. I had 1-2 and 5-R. Got back to the paddock and the trans hemorrhaged out all the fluid from a crack in the case. So that trans is dead. Already picked up a new to me one from a buddy. Eventually I'll have to go PPG. But...we won! Not a bad day, blown up trans not withstanding. Palmer Motorsports Park next month. Gotta get the car squared away. But we'll be ready.
IMG_20210405_090304_838.jpg
Screenshot_20210404-125421.png
IMG_20210407_081113_670.jpg
IMG_20210407_081113_635.jpg
PXL_20210404_164255511.jpg
IMG_20210403_223211_632.jpg

View attachment 626486
Congratulations, that's one hell of a way to limp it home. I applaud getting it done in those circumstances, and it reminds me of one of my favorite car-related quotes: "the perfect race car is the fastest thing on the track, then explodes after crossing the finish line".
Thank you so much! Yeah, we don't go to the race track and then give up. We go to win. And yeah, the trans is a big pile of junk now, but I have another one, so we'll replace it and get back out there next month. And yeah! I believe that's a Colin Chapman quote. Good times LOL

New trans is in. Still just have to button up a couple things, but just about done. Also got the polycarbonate rear window in and straps made. A lot of work. The next time I need to do something like this, I'll make sure to get in touch with @ec17pse. I didn't know he made windows for these cars, but...I know now and that's the direction I'll go if I need to in the future. Hoping to have the car back on the ground this weekend and I can start working on the splitter. Then the car will be done for the most part. Not gonna mess with it. Just make repairs if needed and take care of maintenance. Hopefully.
IMG_20210420_210828_694.jpg
IMG_20210416_095435_160.jpg
IMG_20210416_200632_259.jpg
Screenshot_20210416-113302.png
IMG_20210415_061450_707.jpg
IMG_20210414_090827_677.jpg
IMG_20210417_182049_235.jpg

Last edited:
Palmer Motorsports Park results. Good times LOL. My Galant Alternator died just before the weekend. Was able to locate a new(reman) one from advance. Put it in Friday before loading the car on the trailer. Get to the race track and unload. Go out first session. Just putting around trying to learn the track. Went out for second session. Alternator dies. Lose my mind for a little bit. An O'Reilly's about a mile away can get me one, but at 4pm. So my day is shot. Still managed to get 3rd place even from just half throttling around the track. Got it fixed over night. Went out Sunday morning and the car was much happier. First session went well. Clicked off a 1:49.4. knew there was a ton more time in it. Pushed harder in 2nd session. And got a 1:48.571. Still leaving a lot of time on the table. Went out third session, but it was hot out and the car wasn't happy. Getting hot. Sliding the front tires. So I figured we wouldn't go any faster. At this point I was leading in class, and 2nd place was 2-ish seconds behind me. I was confident he wouldn't catch me, so to save the abuse on the car, I called it for the day. And I was right! We won on Sunday. So a good rebound from Saturdays insanity. Also ziptied the hose from my vacuum cleaner to my IC piping and had it pointed at the alternator hoping to cool it down some. So. All in all a good weekend. Next up is NJMP in July. Got some time to make some improvements.

IMG_20210518_094321_996.jpg

In the video, my fastest lap, 1:48.571 starts right around the 5:10 mark. Would've been faster, but you can hear the car running out of fuel from sloshing on some right hand corners. Pulled 2G's according to the AIM Solo2!!! Getting faster!!

Palmer Motorsports Park results. Good times LOL. My Galant Alternator died just before the weekend. Was able to locate a new(reman) one from advance. Put it in Friday before loading the car on the trailer. Get to the race track and unload. Go out first session. Just putting around trying to learn the track. Went out for second session. Alternator dies. Lose my mind for a little bit. An O'Reilly's about a mile away can get me one, but at 4pm. So my day is shot. Still managed to get 3rd place even from just half throttling around the track. Got it fixed over night. Went out Sunday morning and the car was much happier. First session went well. Clicked off a 1:49.4. knew there was a ton more time in it. Pushed harder in 2nd session. And got a 1:48.571. Still leaving a lot of time on the table. Went out third session, but it was hot out and the car wasn't happy. Getting hot. Sliding the front tires. So I figured we wouldn't go any faster. At this point I was leading in class, and 2nd place was 2-ish seconds behind me. I was confident he wouldn't catch me, so to save the abuse on the car, I called it for the day. And I was right! We won on Sunday. So a good rebound from Saturdays insanity. Also ziptied the hose from my vacuum cleaner to my IC piping and had it pointed at the alternator hoping to cool it down some. So. All in all a good weekend. Next up is NJMP in July. Got some time to make some improvements.

View attachment 629789

In the video, my fastest lap, 1:48.571 starts right around the 5:10 mark. Would've been faster, but you can hear the car running out of fuel from sloshing on some right hand corners. Pulled 2G's according to the AIM Solo2!!! Getting faster!!

Well done Jesse! Time for a surge tank?

Looking good. I hope you sanded the shit out of that Por15 before you sprayed the top coat though! I did my rear subframe without doing much prep and it's currently coming off in sheets, though the por15 is still rock solid haha.

Looking good. I hope you sanded the shit out of that Por15 before you sprayed the top coat though! I did my rear subframe without doing much prep and it's currently coming off in sheets, though the por15 is still rock solid haha.
Yeeaahhhhh......I don't think I did. It's ok for now. And I started cleaning the driver's side wheel well last night cause I had a PS fluid boil over. Some simple green and a rag did the job. But I will keep my eye on it.

2Gs is no joke. Nice job!

You planning to work on a solution for the hole in the hood? Maybe some type of vent with a lip that would be similar to the Carbontrix vent?

I guess if you're not having issues with oil or coolant temps it's not a big issue, but it would still help with longevity for several things under the hood.
Thanks!! Kinda crazy cause when I watch the video of that lap, it doesn't seem all that crazy in fact the car loses the fuel on exit. Hence the surge tank setup I'm working on now.

It's hard to see but there is a gurney on the leading edge of the vent. And I have a trailing edge duct that I have to put back in place. I wanted to modify it to make it more efficient bit haven't had a chance to throw it back on. Before NJMP next month it'll be good to go in that respect.

Thanks!! Kinda crazy cause when I watch the video of that lap, it doesn't seem all that crazy in fact the car loses the fuel on exit. Hence the surge tank setup I'm working on now.

It's hard to see but there is a gurney on the leading edge of the vent. And I have a trailing edge duct that I have to put back in place. I wanted to modify it to make it more efficient bit haven't had a chance to throw it back on. Before NJMP next month it'll be good to go in that respect.
Gotcha. I couldn't see it in the pics - hopefully that's enough to break the air going over the hood to allow the under hood air to escape. It probably is. If it were me I might go with a little bigger lip, but then again that's just me being a little obsessive about that sort of thing. You're probably good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back