The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 98 GSX Rusting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSX_Mike

Probationary Member
Jan 21, 2023
Columbia, South_Carolina
I got a really good deal on this 98 GSX. Unfortunately there is alot of rust underneath. How screwed am I? Is this repairable?

I'm thinking everything underneath will need to be replaced. The rusty bolts are going to be really fun. The car looks so good from up top.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It’s absolutely salvageable. Anything is really, just depends on time and money. Where you really need to be concerned are the front strut towers and the rear lower rockers. That’s usually the first area to get really really bad and spreads from there. Are you familiar with those two areas?

Ok you are right about the strut tower. It really is that one spot. Now you have me scared to remove the side skirts.

No worries man. As Dusty said, everything is repairable. Plenty of folks have bought '50's era and earlier cars that were rotting in fields and barns, replaced and fabricated skin and frames, and resurrected the ride back to eye popping street worthiness. This car is in much better shape than those field buckets; it isn't a future tuna can.

'Twer it me, I would decide first on how much I was willing to spend to get the car right. Determine what are you willing to spend to fix the bodywork, then do a deeper investigation of the car and go from there.

Much of what I see can probably be taken care of with sanding and repainting. No need to replace sheet metal or parts. Just get them back to clean metal and rattle can them. Some bits (like the strut tower and some of the floor pan) will have to be patched with new steel.

Very rough guess, not including paint work, but I'd say you're looking at somewhere between $1000 and $4000 in body work - assuming you do the basic stuff yourself and take it to a shop for the precision steel and weld work. Could be much more if the car is in worse shape, especially if the frame needs work. If you can weld and have the time and patience, and are willing to learn how to shape the sheet steel, you can probably fix it for under a grand.

As to the cost of paint, that really depends on what you want. You can rattle can the repair areas and undercoat it for a couple hundred bucks. You can take it to a paint shop on the east coast (where the expensive water based paints are mandatory) and have the whole car prepped and shot back to factory for around $10,000.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back