The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

98 gst starving for fuel at higher rpms

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCeclipsegst

Probationary Member
Oct 31, 2012
Caneyville, Kentucky
Hello, I own a 1998 eclipse gst and recently put it in a local mechanic shop. I had to replace my turbo. So I put a 96 talon turbo on it. Now the car acts like it is t getting enough fuel at higher rpms. Only mods on the car is a 1g bov, injen cold air intake, and a boost controller.

The car was running fine before I took off the bad turbo.

Thanks for any help

Are you getting lean codes? To me it sounds like you need bigger injectors. At high RPM's your engine is getting its maximum amount of air input, so if your injectors aren't big enough to keep up then that's why you have a loss of fuel.. It could e because you just put a new turbo on. The PCM will adapt to certain conditions after so long. So I would ls recommend that you get bigger injectors and have your car tuned!

Isn't the 96 talon the same exact turbo? And the car ran fine with the original turbo. Don't see why I'd need bigger injectors.

I was thinking the mechanics might have not got the intercollegiate piping back on tight or something. Ill check it when I got later. The spark plugs are rather old. Not sure of type or brand.

Is there any chance if I turn the turbo down to stock it would solve my problem? I had the boost jacked up pretty high.

I was thinking the mechanics might have not got the intercollegiate piping back on tight or something. Ill check it when I got later. The spark plugs are rather old. Not sure of type or brand.

Is there any chance if I turn the turbo down to stock it would solve my problem? I had the boost jacked up pretty high.

Maybe the intercooler piping, maybe a vac line came undone. Boost leak test will tell you. Its easier to diagnose problems when values are given instead of "jacked up pretty high". Does that mean 10 psi, 100 psi? Stock boost is about 15 psi.

+1 for the NGK BPR6ES. Theyre so cheap, every other or every third oil change is when I used to change mine.

Ok pretty positive problem solved. Lower hose from turbo to intercooler was not on tight. Guess the car was sucking to much air.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back