The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 GST Hesitation under 3k RPM and cruise control

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racersedge1821

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2007
Celina, Tennessee
I have a 1998 GST. 140k miles nearly stock only mods done are injen intake and a cat delete with a megan racing catback exhaust. My problem is anything under light load and under 3k rpm the car hesitates(kinda like a miss but not) and under cruise control it hesitates very little. I have replaced plugs,wires,o2 sensor,cut the cat off,fuel filter, and several boost leak tests with only thing leaking is stock BOV,and run fuel injector cleaner threw it. What could be left? what is causing this problem?

Could it be phantom knock at low rpm? Thats the only time it does the shutter at low rpm like 2000-3000 rpms.

come on guys? anything?

Last edited:
This might sound crazy but is your battery good? Only reason Im asking is because I once had the "hesitation" and come to find out my battery was bad and running low rpm it wouldnt go but getting up in speed would be fine.

Just an option as I had the same issue but let us know what happens

never thought of that i'll try the battery swap in the am i know when i had link hooked up the alt. was pumping out a full 14v also got a cel light to finally come on and it was p0110 IAT problem i have read. Could that be a bad MAF sensor? bad wiring to maf?

If its throwing that code then yes sounds like bad maf which would make it really boggy. If you have a buddy with a dsm try his/hers and see if problem still occurs.

Here is a kicker i also have a gsx (race car) on v3 link i took that ecu out and put it into my gst and loaded the stock 2g settings and it stopped the hesitation and pulled way better. But i have tried a stock ecu from a buddy and it did the same thing? it only quits when i run dsm link on it.So wouldn't that rule out a bad maf sensor?

I just read a post where a person used a 1995 CAS in a 1998 car and ecu the injector wire had to be rewire/pinned and if you don't do the rewire the car will stumble and miss that is EXACTLY what my car is doing where is the fuel injector rewire post i can't find it anywhere.

Will they be swapped the same as doing the 1g CAS install without link?

The car had a 1995 style cam sensor wired into it so i had to do the rre wire swap on the ecu mod.the same one that you do if you put a 1g CAS into a 2g rewire without link

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back