The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 98 fan relay wiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM98GSX

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 16, 2008
Tucson, Arizona
Hey guys, so I've got a question related to the wiring itself. I've deleted most of the stock wiring for the fans and am wiring my Spal fans to turn on with my haltech at different degrees. Problem is, the harness was pulled while the car wasn't running so I can't test for ground/switched ground/power/etc.

On the underside of the main fuse box (engine fuse box) I have two sets of wires. One set has green/orange with a green/black and the other set has one thick and one thin blue/red. One set is the ground and the other is +12V.

I'm assuming the blue/red is the positive. I'm trying to find out if this wire is hot, switched, or triggered? Can anyone with some knowledge of the stock system help me out here!? I'm going to trigger the the other set of wires with the ECU ground output depending on the answers. Thanks in advance.

-Nic

Yes the blue/red is positive, switched through ignition switch. The thick blue/red comes from ignition switch and goes to radiator fan (pass side) relay hi. The thin blue/red goes to radiator fan relay lo and condensor fan (driver side) relay hi.

The stock system has 3 speed fans and uses combinations of green/orange and green/black from the ECU (pins 20 and 21 respectively) to control them. The ECU pulls these wires low (to ground) to turn on the proper relay(s) - otherwise they float. The green/orange turns on radiator fan relay hi and condensor fan relay hi. The green/black turns on radiator fan relay lo.

Note there is another green/orange going from the AC compressor ECM to condensor fan relay lo control it.

I was hoping you'd be the one to chime in. I've seen a few of your post and liked your explanations. I knew the stock fans were 3 speeds and the mt and auto use different settings etc.

So for what I'm wanting to do:
I'm using the stock 4 pin relays to control 2 spal fans. (Took out the 5 fan relays and using 2).
-I can use the blue/red for switched 12V.
-Separate the green/orange between the 2 relays for separate ground-on from Haltech ECU.

You helped clear up some info for me so thank you!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back