The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 eagle talon run problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydecotsi

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, North_Carolina
Okay, so i bought a 98 eagle talon tsi awd turbo. The person i bought it from had took the head and accessory stuff off to replace the head gasket. well today i finally got everything back together. Well the problem is that when u start the car it might run for 15 seconds runs really smooth and then it cuts off, it acts like its losing fuel pressure or the timing just quits firing. everything on the car has been but back on and I'm pretty smart with car i used to be a mechanic but this has got me stumped. Also the fuel pump runs the whole time the car cranking/ running so i don't think its a fuel problem. the car has a maf-t on it and has a upgraded evo 16g turbo. dejon ic piping, evo 3 injectors, 1g bov, wires mot coil over pistons, and also at the end of the valve cover (battery end) their is a plate with a sensor on it i think its the cam position sensor, their is a metal basket that goes in their and thats it seems like their should be something else. If anyone can shoot me some info on this problem it would be greatly appreciated thanks a lot,
Joseph :confused:

first thing I would do is find out what combustion element it is lacking when it dies. do do this you will need a bit of diagnostic equipment. As you said you had been a mechanic before some of this stuff should be familiar to you. Personally I usually start with spark. get a spark checker (heres an example ) and start it up and see if you are losing spark when it starts to die. The second thing I would look for is fuel start by hooking up a fuel pressure gage and seeing if it drops when the engine cuts out. sisnce these cars dont have shrader valves you will need a kit that has all of the adapters for different banjo fittings like (THIS). If neither of those two reveal any issues then i would move on to injector control a set of noid lights will help you see if they are opening of not (see HERE). because you said that the car runs great for 15 seconds then I would suggest installing a vaccum gage to the intake. If the needle isnt steady use a chart like (this) to help you determine what the issues might be.

P.S. Im not a harbor Freight fanatic but their site was easy to find examples from. There are alot of steps to take to really diagnose a motor so feel free to ask more questions as you work through this.

First off, you lucky bastard. I always wanted a 98 TSi AWD.

Second, the Cam angle sensor should have that "basket" in there which should be bolted onto the intake cam with a longish bolt. Be careful because these can get 180* out easily. There should also be a cover, and through the back a little magnetic sensor should plug in. The "basket" is the trigger. Notice one gap in it is much longer than the other, that is how the signal is sent to the ECU when read by the actual sensor plugged into the back.

Thanks For the help their is no bolt to the basket and that might be some of my problem..... vacum stay steddy as my boost gauge showes me that......spark is strong but have checked it when it dies and fuel is their even when it dies.....I go home to my parents every weekend so Friday I will check out that spark and the can basket....also can anyone help me find a link to a banjo bolt for the oil feed on a evo 16g...I ordered the kit from exhreme psi the line and bolt but it was wrong Thanks

Thanks a lot for the help it ened up being the their was no bolt in the cam spaion sensior but the bolt in their and it runs like a dream. I really appericate all the help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back