The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

98-99 ecu in 96 GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuclearr

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2004
Slidell, Louisiana
I have searched and searched. I have not found the confirmed method for putting a 98-99 ecu in a 95-96.

I have a 99 ECU I want to put into my 96 spyder awd. What are the proper procedures. I have a COP on the car. If I recall what I read two cylinders fire at the same time. So what do I need to swap? Do I need to swap ecu pins, rewire coil, and or injectors?

Last edited:
98/99 ECUs don't play nice with 95-96 Inverted CAS.

1G and 97-99 CAS work, but not 95-96.

Ceddy, why can't he just swap the firing order?

I read several people said they put a 97-99 ecu into a 95-95 car but no one has said what they had to do to get it to work.

I noticed they do not play nice. So I gather that the 95-95 CAS is out.

What can I do to make it work with the 95-96 harness?

If I were to swap on one of the 90 CAS's I have laying around could it work? IF so what else would I need to do? Or could I swap in a 97-99 CAS to the 95-96 harness?

I might put my built 6-bolt head in it if necessary.

Ceddy, why can't he just swap the firing order?

I have not tried it myself.

People report they get low rpm engine vibrations and knock.

Its kind of hit or miss if it works or not.

I read several people said they put a 97-99 ecu into a 95-95 car but no one has said what they had to do to get it to work.

I noticed they do not play nice. So I gather that the 95-95 CAS is out.

What can I do to make it work with the 95-96 harness?

If I were to swap on one of the 90 CAS's I have laying around could it work? IF so what else would I need to do? Or could I swap in a 97-99 CAS to the 95-96 harness?

I might put my built 6-bolt head in it if necessary.

You could swap a 1G CAS on, but I believe the 95 camshafts need the passenger side threaded to accept the 1G CAS.

A 97-99 would also work but I'm unsure what will fit.

I have not tried it myself.

People report they get low rpm engine vibrations and knock.

Its kind of hit or miss if it works or not.

You could swap a 1G CAS on, but I believe the 95 camshafts need the passenger side threaded to accept the 1G CAS.

A 97-99 would also work but I'm unsure what will fit.

Not sure if the EVO8 ecu programing in any different (it may be more or less sensitive to changes not sure) but originally when i installed the EVO8 ecu in my 96 I did swapped the firing order on the plugs, that got it running but it stumbled a bit cruising around. Swapping the injectors around got it to run pretty smooth. This time around I decided to swap to a 98-99 CAS and had to pull the intake cam to drill and tap threads in it for the CAS bolt... Wasn't to difficult to do, ended up a bit cockeyed but works. A set of aftermarket cams will defiantly make that easier, they should all come pre drilled/taped.

Truthfully why even use a 99 ecu get a eeprom one with ecmlink and be done. :thumb:

Unless you want it for the flashablility even then link is easier....

Because the H8/Evo route is cheaper, and will possibly be even more powerful than 'Link with future development (I'd venture to say the Evo route is as powerful, if not moreso, than 'Link now).

Truthfully why even use a 99 ecu get a eeprom one with ecmlink and be done. :thumb:

Unless you want it for the flashablility even then link is easier....

While I really like link. Heck I help fund a class tought buy Tom Dorris (great guy). I am looking at the price differnce. I have an eprom, I also have 2 98 ecus.

When I look at the cost Link is going to cost about $500-550 with getting the eprom soctected. I only need about $250 to get the 98 ecu flashable. Heck I could sell the eprom and fund most of what I need.

How ever I have yet to find out if any one has acutally done the swap and what it took. The few links I have found refenceing the swap say to swap plugs and/or injectors. There is also no confermations on those threads that it ever worked correctly. Also with a cop its will be a little different.

u can do 2 things!
one use the 97-99 cas and tap and thread the intake cam on the 95-96 cam for the 97-99 cas wheel to bolt in or use a 97-99 cam and make a adapter harness for the cas or use the 1g cas it goes right in no tapping or cam swap needed and make a adapter harness!
http://magnusmotorsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/1gina2g.pdf

I did the 97-99 cas in a 95awd talon with the 97-99 cam because i have heard of idle and low rpm drive ability problems with the 1 g cas!And i had another 96 awd talon that had a 6bolt swap 1g cas (96 ecu) that had those issues, injector wire swap plug wire swap didn't help it sounded different at idle and had a bad miss at 3000rpm's or so other wise it ran fine, i didn't do the engine swap so it could have been another issue!
fyi i don't remember if i did the injector wire at ecu swap or not on my 95awd talon, u will know if you need to it will run like crap(((i don't think i did)) it does not have the plug wires swapped!

Last edited:
I have a set of 1g cams so thats no issue. I have to pull the engine for gasket repairs and valve seals I might drop on my 6 bolt head.

Is there anything special I have to do to run the 97-99 cas on a 95-96 harness? IE: is it plug and play or do I have to rewire it?

I have a set of 1g cams so thats no issue. I have to pull the engine for gasket repairs and valve seals I might drop on my 6 bolt head.

Is there anything special I have to do to run the 97-99 cas on a 95-96 harness? IE: is it plug and play or do I have to rewire it?

u will have to tap 1g cam also( only if you plan on using the 97-99 cas the 1g cas drops in )!ONLY the 97-99 cams don't need to be taped
look at the link i posted for info on the adapter harness to go from a 95-96 harness to eater a 1g cas or 97-99 cas! You will need a old 95-96 cas connector and the connector for witch ever cas u convert to! For the 97-99 cas just match the colors on the wires from one plug to the other solder it and shrink wrap it together and use a old 02 sensor covering to make it look like it is a factory job!

All right I have installed the 97-99 cas. Is there any injector and or plug swaping required?

Or can I just plug in the 98 ecu and crank it up?

Looking forward to results here. I too have been looking around for a way (if practical) to swap a flashable ecu in a 95-96 and found nothing concrete but this thread. Hopefully good news comes of the CAS swap.

I will have results buy the weekend. I too could not find the information so I created this thread to try find out the info I need and help others in the future. I have some wiring to do and reinstall the exhaust and radiator.

I ended up going with new cams to avoid taping the old ones. I also did install the 6 bolt head I had in my atic.

Looking forward to results here. I too have been looking around for a way (if practical) to swap a flashable ecu in a 95-96 and found nothing concrete but this thread. Hopefully good news comes of the CAS swap.

I have already done the swap and it works like a champ. All I did after installing the 98 CAS on my car was remove the adapter harness I had made so all my wiring went back to stock. Just don’t order the CAS plug from rock auto for the 98/99 CAS they stock the wrong one...

I have already done the swap and it works like a champ. All I did after installing the 98 CAS on my car was remove the adapter harness I had made so all my wiring went back to stock. Just don't order the CAS plug from rock auto for the 98/99 CAS they stock the wrong one...

I knew the swap had been done by several people but there was no information I could find on what was required for it to work. I can confirm the pig tail from CarQuest is wrong as well I beilve it is for the 420a cars. I ended up getting a used one.

But I know the plug comes on several Mitubishi built cars. 99-05ish Galants, 2gb and 3g Eclipses, Stratus Coupe (01-05), and 2g Seabring Coupe (01-05). Comes on the 4g64 for sure, may also be on the 6cyl engines as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
guess i am a bit late but i just ran a green top 1G cas with the conversion harness, plugged the 98 ecu in and fired right up.

before i did that tho i tried fighting with firing order, injector order, all that other crap with swapping pins and just bolting up the 1G cas was the easiest.

the 1g cas simply bolts up and being a 96, you shouldnt have gad to tap the cams, you should have the timing connector to ground so you can adjust the timing of the 1G case to the normal base timing (or use ceddy mods to lock it at 5 degrees).

also just noticed you have a spyder, there was something about the spyder ecus pulling the relay for the fuel pump to ground instead of supplying the voltage to it (might have this backwards please confirm before hacking away at the harness). I remember this being mentioned somewere in ceddys "first flashed dsm ecu" thread.

guess i am a bit late but i just ran a green top 1G cas with the conversion harness, plugged the 98 ecu in and fired right up.

before i did that tho i tried fighting with firing order, injector order, all that other crap with swapping pins and just bolting up the 1G cas was the easiest.

the 1g cas simply bolts up and being a 96, you shouldnt have gad to tap the cams, you should have the timing connector to ground so you can adjust the timing of the 1G case to the normal base timing (or use ceddy mods to lock it at 5 degrees).

also just noticed you have a spyder, there was something about the spyder ecus pulling the relay for the fuel pump to ground instead of supplying the voltage to it (might have this backwards please confirm before hacking away at the harness). I remember this being mentioned somewere in ceddys "first flashed dsm ecu" thread.

Yeah I know I could have gone with a 1g cas.

I have the car mostly back together I got it to fire up but it seems to lose fuel pressure after start. May have to do with the relay issue. I have a 99 GST ecu in a 96 spyder. The ecu the referenced by Ceddy seemed to be the 4g64 ecu. But the wiring may be the same for the spyder gst as well.

The relay is not my issue. I just rembered I had a 95 eprom out of a hard top gst in it borfore the 99 ecu swap. So that is only for the 4g64 ecus and spyders.

well after working on it all day today. I have not been able to get it to run. It miss fires. I had it running for about 5 min seem to run right but could not tell for sure due to a sticking throttle cable. I need to see if my cop coils are working properly and need to test my injectors. I do not know why it was running fine before all this.

Yeah I know I could have gone with a 1g cas.

I have the car mostly back together I got it to fire up but it seems to lose fuel pressure after start. May have to do with the relay issue. I have a 99 GST ecu in a 96 spyder. The ecu the referenced by Ceddy seemed to be the 4g64 ecu. But the wiring may be the same for the spyder gst as well.

The relay is not my issue. I just rembered I had a 95 eprom out of a hard top gst in it borfore the 99 ecu swap. So that is only for the 4g64 ecus and spyders.

well after working on it all day today. I have not been able to get it to run. It miss fires. I had it running for about 5 min seem to run right but could not tell for sure due to a sticking throttle cable. I need to see if my cop coils are working properly and need to test my injectors. I do not know why it was running fine before all this.

How did u put in the 97-99 cas?Try taking out the center bolt that goes in the cam and turn the wheel, it can go in 2 different ways! How did you hook up the MDP sensor to the 6 bolt intake, might have something to do with that?

How did u put in the 97-99 cas?Try taking out the center bolt that goes in the cam and turn the wheel, it can go in 2 different ways! How did you hook up the MDP sensor to the 6 bolt intake, might have something to do with that?

I did something stupid and forgot to tighen down the bolt for the pick up cylinder LOL

As far as the mdp I do not have it hooked up I am also using a short runner intake manifold. I will probably just turn off the cel for it once I start tuning with Ceddy Mod. Now its time to go get my tatrix 2.0 cable and some injectors and start tuning.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back