The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

98 4g63 6 bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc90ms

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 1, 2006
harrisburg, Pennsylvania
i just picked up a 4g63 6 bolt from this junk yard. i did some research and found out that Hyundai used 6 bolt 4g63 non turbo engines in 95-98 sonatas. so that means that they are 6 bolt OBD2 motors. so they have the crank sensor on the front case.

i will take pics and hopefully we can find out if the front case will work on a eclipse 4g63 6 bolt. so that way when doing the 6 bolt swap in a 2g. you can just get the front case for this 98 Hyundai sonata and bolt it on. then you don't have the miss fire code. i will get some more pics of the the motor tomorrow.

oh and when i say they used the 6 bolts i mean even the big rods :thumb:ds.

i got some pics of the motor started to take it apart

4g63 pictures by dc90ms - Photobucket

Any more updates on this?Are you using this motor in your car?

:hmm: very nice find. I also would like to see updates on this. The front of the engine looks exactly like a 2g 7 bolt. Did you end up taking off the crank pulley yet, I'm sure you have by now. You cant count the number of flywheel bolts on the crank by looking at the pictures. I remember reading you had to modify the 7 bolt oil pump to fit it to the 6 bolt block. I wonder if mitsubishi just used a modified oil pump from the factory to fit this application. If this is true then this would make a 6 bolt bottom end swap that much easier :rocks:.

yea i got that oil pump off. ill get some more pics up. didn't get them up because the lack of interest. haha the only thing to get this oil pump form Hyundai its like 300 bucks. but i found on on advance auto for 80 its a high performance one. well at least what they say heres the link to it.

OIL PUMP HI PERF RACING by Melling - Part 10550 - Advance Auto Parts

Any more updates on this?Are you using this motor in your car?

well im trying to build a stock 6 bolt and put a 2gen head that i have with some evo valves n springs. i want to port out the head and put it n a wrx. make it rwd. get a tranny form a supra. this dude makes bell housings for the 4g63 and a w55 tranny. I am gona use a stock evo turbo and intake mani so the throttle body faces the came gears,

use the evo injectors and a evo ecu. so should be a nice project.

dc90ms said:
yea i got that oil pump off. ill get some more pics up. didn't get them up because the lack of interest. haha the only thing to get this oil pump form Hyundai its like 300 bucks. but i found on on advance auto for 80 its a high performance one. well at least what they say heres the link to it.

Ya I'm actually really shocked that this didn't attract more interest. I really think its because of the thread title. You should change it, it doesn't really relate to what you've truly found. Most people probably think its just another new guy having trouble swapping a 6 bolt into his 98 dsm, something that has been :beatentodeath:. I'm sure you can definately find the oil pumps cheaper than $300 also. Post up whatever results you find to this.

dc90ms said:
well im trying to build a stock 6 bolt and put a 2gen head that i have with some evo valves n springs. i want to port out the head and put it n a wrx. make it rwd. get a tranny form a supra. this dude makes bell housings for the 4g63 and a w55 tranny. I am gona use a stock evo turbo and intake mani so the throttle body faces the came gears,

use the evo injectors and a evo ecu. so should be a nice project.

WTF That is an unusual project. You should definately post pics of this build when it is complete. Don't tell any of the other DSMers but I actually really like the sound of the boxer engine that comes in the Subarus :shhh:. All in all it should be a cool build though.

And another good question is, will the OFH bolt up to this Hyundai oil pump/front case, and my guess is no based off of the pics on KarKings site.

This is the exact block that KarKing uses in his 6-bolt swap done right build.
karking.com

This has peaked my interest as well. I just want to know what is going on with this. Would make any future swaps a helluva lot easier.

good info and i am looking for more, i know the thread is ooooollldddd but if the guy has the info.... i found a 95 sonata today, looks just like a 6 bolt but the intake says its a 1.8 not a 2.0... i have two bad 4g63t block and need a good one. will my 2.0 parts swap in??? tia

Any update on this? I'm needing a crank sensor for my 1G 4g64 RWD project and this is the last part I need.

Did anyone happen to notice that this pump uses a 7 bolt oil pan? Actually everything about that front case looks like it is a 7 bolt pump. IT even uses the 7 bolt tensioner and tensioner arm. IT also looks like the oil filter housing has the 7 bolt bolt spacing. I would have to say that this case doesn't directly work with a 6 normal 6 bolt engine.

rotating assembly in a 7 bolt is lighter. If the motor is tuned properly bending the rods on the 7bolt becomes more difficult.

If I had a 7bolt I'd honestly just upgrade the rods. The lighter assembly and higher cr stock pistons is attractive to me and I still don't understand why people would go through all the trouble to get to a "stronger" 6 bolt motor.

I think 6bolt just doesn't knock itself apart as quickly.... could be wrong about that. The 7bolts come with a main girdle... and you see people pay $$$$ to get an aftermarket one on a 6bolt. I just don't see mitsu "downgrading" their cars. It may make less power from the factory but that doesn't mean potential isn't there. It seems like a lot of flaming hoops that must be jumped through to end up having a 1g motor in a 2g when the 2g motor is just as good if not better. Seems like a lot of squeeze for a little juice.

I know many will get all po'd about me saying this, but it's my opinion and what I believe to be true.

(cool find, none the less)

rotating assembly in a 7 bolt is lighter. If the motor is tuned properly bending the rods on the 7bolt becomes more difficult.

If I had a 7bolt I'd honestly just upgrade the rods. The lighter assembly and higher cr stock pistons is attractive to me and I still don't understand why people would go through all the trouble to get to a "stronger" 6 bolt motor.

I think 6bolt just doesn't knock itself apart as quickly.... could be wrong about that. The 7bolts come with a main girdle... and you see people pay $$$$ to get an aftermarket one on a 6bolt. I just don't see mitsu "downgrading" their cars. It may make less power from the factory but that doesn't mean potential isn't there. It seems like a lot of flaming hoops that must be jumped through to end up having a 1g motor in a 2g when the 2g motor is just as good if not better. Seems like a lot of squeeze for a little juice.

I know many will get all po'd about me saying this, but it's my opinion and what I believe to be true.

(cool find, none the less)

Because of crankwalk. Idk if you have experienced it yet but it really sucks. People have had extremely professional engines built for them and have had them crank walk. I have honestly rarely seen someone on the forums complain about having their 6 bolt crank walk. I just had my 7 bolt crank walk and im playing it smart and going with the 6 bolt.

If I had a 7bolt I'd honestly just upgrade the rods.
I understand the point you're trying to make, but that combination won't work. The factory pin bushing is press fit to retain the pin. And you don't press fit the pins with aftermarket rods. They rely on the use of pin locks to retain the pins, and those can only be used with aftermarket pistons. So, if you swap out the rods, you also have to follow suit with the pistons.

The lighter assembly and higher cr stock pistons is attractive to me and I still don't understand why people would go through all the trouble to get to a "stronger" 6 bolt motor.
I agree that a properly built split-thrust 7-bolt will be just as strong and reliable as an equivalent 6-bolt. There's a handful of little things I like better about 7-bolt engines actually.

Because of crankwalk. Idk if you have experienced it yet but it really sucks. People have had extremely professional engines built for them and have had them crank walk. I have honestly rarely seen someone on the forums complain about having their 6 bolt crank walk. I just had my 7 bolt crank walk and im playing it smart and going with the 6 bolt.
I crankwalked a 6 bolt and you can ask Donniekak off here yourself. I would rather buy a 98 or 99 and just keep the 7 bolt and not deal with the hassle. Split thrust bearing ftw.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back