The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Street Build 98 2G Eclipse GSX Full Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM98GSX

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 16, 2008
Tucson, Arizona
Since I’ve had issues getting my old build thread from the old site, I figured I’d start fresh!

Contents:
Post 1: History
Post 2: Fuel Upgrades

So a little history before I started the build. Bought the car back in 2005 after my turbo’d accord decided it didn’t like boost anymore. Bought the car without knowing too much about DSM’s, and was, in a sense, bamboozled with what I got. Somebody had already started on it and didn’t take the pride in their work that I do. Originally the car had an upgraded turbo, fuel system, crap regrind cams, water meth kit, FMIC, exhaust and a Shep trans. Needless to say, I didn’t end up gettring what I paid for and thus, started my journey.
Car 1.jpeg

I’ll start with what I can remember:

I noticed the trans was scratching in 3rd at higher RPMs the day I took it home. The engine blew within a few months after buying the car. Bought a salvage engine and did the necessary rebuild. Then the turbo went after about a week of the new engine being in the car. This is when I met a great friend (Archie) who has helped me throughout this journey. I purchased a dbb GT35R and installed it. Car ran great for a while. But then the oil pump went bad and I spun a bearing. It was then that I decided I was tired of throwing money away.
Engine Swap 2.jpg

So originally, my idea was to just build something that was going to be reliable around 500hp. I bought a few things from a member on DSMtuners and began my first upgrades (besides the turbo). I installed a DV/DT FMIC which required quite a bit of bumper modification. Also picked up some 1250cc injectors and new cams. Did some more research and decided on a 6 bolt 2.3L block with the 2G head. Bought a friend’s old block and had the machine work done. After it was tanked at the machine shop I decided that the block looked like crap so I decided to look into powder coating. Bought my gun and oven and started practicing. The block was my first piece and decided on a high temp silver. Also PC'd my turbo compressor housing and the valve cover I was going to use.

Skipping forward a bit, I worked on the suspension and rear end. Every bushing is now brand new thanks to a Prothane full polyurethane bushing kit as well as all brand new suspension arms, links and ball joints. The suspension was also upgraded to the Eibach pro kit drop springs and Tokiko shocks. Also installed some rear diff bushings as the old ones were shot. As of Feb 16, 2011, the car had to be put back together in order to be moved to my new house I had just bought. That, in itself, was a big project. And that is how my GSX sat for the past 4 years. The car had not been registered since 2009.

Look for the many many updates I have done over the summer of 2015 in the next few post. I will start to list the work that has been done with plenty of photos. I hope you guys enjoy the build as much as I have!

Intercooler 2.0.jpg
Intercooler 3.jpg

Block.jpg
Turbo.jpg
Valve Cover 1.jpg
Bushings.jpg
Bushings 2.jpg
Arm 2.jpg
Arm 4.jpg
Suspension 1.jpg
Rear Sub 1.jpg
Rear Sub 3.jpg
Move 3.jpg
Move 4.jpg
Move 5.jpg

Last edited:
Ive done many updates over the summer! Since I've done so much I'll update as much as I can but this may take a few post. Please feel free to comment!

Fuel System
I never liked the idea of having two in-tank fuel pumps to run big injectors. But running four 2250cc injectors would be too much/taxing for a single in tank pump. I also didnt like the idea of only having half the fuel of what was in the tank exposed to the fuel pump (GSX's split tank design). So I figured I'd adapt the idea we had with our shop car. I would used the Walboro 255 in-tank fuel pump as well as an Aeromotive 1000 inline fuel pump. But in order for all of this to work the way I needed, Id have to build a sump.

Since I was no longer going to be needing the spare tire well/rear windshield washer, I figured this would be a good spot to build the sump, in-line pump as well as the fuel filter. The sump is fed by the in-tank walboro, which feeds to the high pressure Fuel Lab pump, then to the aeromotive filter. I've powder coated the sump as well as the plate in a wrinkle black. Fuel is fed through -6 line to the Aeromotive FP regulator, then to the Magnus fuel rail and finally to the 2150cc injectors.

Rear Deck 1.jpg
Rear Deck 2.jpg
Rear Deck 4.jpg
Rear Deck 8.jpg
Rear Deck 9.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back