The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

97gsx tune

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Efalcon

Proven Member
May 31, 2013
Austin, Texas
Know there are different ways to tune.
I would like to know the cheapest,easiest, and best way possible.
I know of dsm link and something with ECU
Looking too be put into terms for someone who hasn't done it

Reason I am making a thread is because I have heard chatter with like different stuff about tuning I've never heard.

Thanks for all the advice.
Sorry if this is a repost.

I just barely started using dsm link v3 and I absolutely love it. It's not too hard to learn and work. Since you're a 97 you can send your ecu in to get setup. You definitely wont regret it.

I have used both Link and CeddyMods (using the flashable black ECU) and prefer Link for its ease of use. It costs more, but the the simplicity and the integrated logging make it worth the price. I wasn't sure if it would be worth the cost to go from Ceddy to Link, but I don't think I could go back.

All of that being said, CeddyMods is a very capable tuning solution.

I think it should pick the tuning solution that fits the ECU in your car (both are excellent choices, although I prefer ceddy/ecuflash/evoscan. Do you happen to know if you have an eprom or flashable ecu? If your car still has the original 97 ecu, chances are you have neither.

If I remember correctly, the ECU was around $150. Tactrix Openport with the Mitsu reflash adapter was $180. You can probably find these for less if you look around.

Black box ecus sell all day in the classifieds for about 100$

So the black box and reflash are the only two things I need?

Running the Ceddymods here.

1. Black box
2. Tactrix 2.0 Cable w/ Mitsu Re-Flash Connector (Some people also buy the 1.3 cable, which allows for more data logging samples)
3. Download Evoscan Datalogger, which is $25
4. Download ECUFlash program, which is free
5. Read, Read, Read, and Re-Read

Also, check out the youtube videos by "Recompile" on EvoM forums. These videos were great for a beginner.

Evo 8 ecu and cable tune for my gsx.
Has anyone used that?
I was looking for opinions.

A guy told me he could get me that for $200

Also said there is not data logging of any kind needed.

I've read great things about the Evo8 Ecu. It does everything the Ceddymods can, but with much more control and many more options over ECU functioning. I am considering this route in the future.

Not sure what that guy is talking about not having to datalog. You ALWAYS have to datalog otherwise you would have no idea what to adjust.

With either Ceddymods or Evo8 Ecu you will be datalogging in Evoscan and making your adjustments in Ecuflash.

Evo 8 ecu and cable tune for my gsx.
Has anyone used that?
I was looking for opinions.

A guy told me he could get me that for $200

Also said there is not data logging of any kind needed.

i have a friend that uses EVO ecu and it works good but you will have to get an adapter or rewire your pugs that go to the ecu. most evo ecu's i seen for sale run about 250-300. the flash that you use on them is TephraMod.

the one i use is a black box ecu from a 98 gst and have ceddy flashed on it.
ceddy made his mod with the help from so people from TephraMod community. some things work in the same way.

100 for the back ecu, 180 for the 2.0 cable, 20 for the ceddy full mod can use the free one if you want to, 25 evo flash EvoScan OBDII Mitsubishi Subaru DataLogger Scantool and ecu flash(free).
ceddy will be your cheapest buy.

i say evo is the best way. but that's me!

having the 97 car you have listed you will have to buy a ecu no matter what way you go. sorry!

good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back