The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

97 tsi rear end/axle problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nunke89

Probationary Member
May 26, 2010
Bloomer, Wisconsin
Ok so here's the story.. I bought a 97 Talon tsi awd 5 speed a few months ago and recently started driving it. When I first drove it it seemed to drive fine with no major noises or anything. After driving it for a while it started shifting hard into first and sometimes second. I took it to my local shop to look into the problem since i'm new to DSM's and also new to awd. They recommended changing the fluid before doing anything major and that helped the shifting problem for the most part but not completely. That's not what I'm worried about now though. After driving it a clunking noise was coming from the rear end, also I could hear my rotors rubbing when i would turn. It would rub on the side i was turning toward. The shop looked at it again and found that the people who had the car before me didn't put the axle nut back on the right side! I assume they did this because they tried pounding the rusted rear axle out of the hub with no luck so they just threw it back together to sell. I purchased a new axle and also a new rear hub unit since the shop couldn't get the old axle out. The new axle only came with the outer joint and the shop used the old inner joint/stub on the new axle. I got the car back and the clunking noise started again but the rotors don't rub anymore. I took a look under the car and noticed the new axle they installed was out of the rear end a little and seemed a little loose compared to the drivers side. It has a lsd rear end and the previous owner stated they put a new rear end in the car. Is it possible the old rear end wasn't lsd and they put an lsd in without changing the axles? Also what is the difference between rear axles with lsd and without? I have been searching for answers and have found nothing. Sorry I blabbed on so much but I just want this thing fixed! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Alex

I don't know the impact but I wonder if they put on an LSD that didn't match the transfer case. The final drive changed over the years and the 95-96 final drive I think is different than the 97-99, and so has to match the transfer case. If it doesn't match I think you'd fry things pretty quickly but maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain the symptoms and if they match yours.

There should be three letters very large on a sticker on the rear of your rear diff. Can you find them and list them?

I have both style rear ends in my garage I can help identify what you have/need.

BFH are the letters on the back of it. Thanks for the help so far guys

Ok that is a LSD rear. The 95-99 rear ends are all the same. The 97-99 transmissions are geared different than all other trans thus why the 97-99 tcase is different than the 91-96 tcase. So check your trans and look for the last four letters in the trans code. If you have a 97-99 trans it should be MUZT a 95-96 trans should be NPZT.

I have a very small worry is you have a 97-99 tcase and a 95-96 trans. That would cause the rear to hop. Some one replacing the trans but not the tcase.

To sum it up check the trans and make sure yours says MUZT on the top. (If it says MMZL that is fine too. I'll only explain if you have a MMZL)

My best guess is your cup is worn. That is why you can move it. Which would explain the clicking.

Thanks alot for the info. Ill try and check on the codes tomorrow if I get a chance.

Ya it does shift hard sometimes into first but not all the time. It got a little better after they changed the trans fluid. I've put a few hundred miles on the car as it is and it doesn't seem to get any worse but I know running it like this isn't good for it. I would think if it were the wrong transfer case or tranny it would have blown something by now. What do you guys think?

Ok so after 2 weeks of my car being at the shop they finally got it right. They told me the problem was they had the boot to far down on the shaft so it was pulling the axle out of the rear end. I've put on about 200 miles and everything seems good. I also had them ballence my tires and it rides very nice now. I also need to replace rear end bushing since one is pretty shot and makes a cunking noise when shifting fast or unsmoothly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back