The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

97 Talon TSi that isn't going to die.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianTalonTC

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 8, 2011
Lethbridge, AB_Canada
Build thread!

So, I bought my 97 TSi at the beginning of last summer after selling my 2006 Cobalt SS/SC. It came with some gauges in the pillar which I promptly ripped out, a little bit of rust and a clean title. It had 190,000km when I bought it. So about 115,000 miles.

I ended up buying a 14B turbo and a GReddy FMIC kit for it and ran it like that for a couple months till I picked up an Evo III 16G, AEM UEGO and AEM TruBoost.

Fast forward to last weekend, driving out to a friends house a deer ran across the road into the front left corner of my fender, bending my rad support, fender, destroying my windshield, inner fender well, headlight and mirror.

Fernie-20111128-00056.jpg

So on Tuesday I started tearing her down a bit. I removed the fender, headlight etc and such and it now sits like this.

Fernie-20111129-00081.jpg

I had already ordered a thwack of parts so I figured now is the time to put them on. I have DSMLink v3 with EPROM ECU, VRSF front mount intercooler, shifter base bushings, FIC 850CC injectors, 190lph, AFPR and some new gaskets and 2ga twisty side skirts! :)

I also found a new fender and fender well and my bumper only has minor damage. Still need headlights and a mirror.

So anyways, my goals for this car is to fix the rocker rust, fix the damage caused by the deer, paint it up (which I'm going to attempt to do myself) and I'd like to attain 300whp. Back to work on it Tuesday :). Not the most impressive build, but I'll be happy with it.

Joel

bloody deer eh! I almost smoked one with my brand new car this morning, missed her by maybe half inch. Right after I was like please can another one run out so I can write off this bloody car! sorry to side track, shame you hit a deer with such a nice 2g but glad to see your fix'ner right away. let me know how the painting goes? I have some rust removal and paint to do on my eclipse plus my supra and wouldn't mind someone with the know how to tell me how to do it.

^ Yea man deer are the shits. I'm not claiming at all to know how to do rust repair. This is a learn as I go deal! haha, thanks for the kind words guys.

So I got a bit of work done on her in the last little bit.

I removed the ABS sensors since it was so terribly rusted and corroded (explains the lack of ABS in my accident, I just thought I didn't have it). I'm not going to bother with a full ABS delete since it does not particularily matter I guess. The slight weight savings are not worth it to me, and I don't have an ABS light. This is what it looked like.

Fernie-20111129-00086.jpg

I also found a set of my vice grips!

Fernie-20111129-00077.jpg

Next I came home back to lethbridge and took a ride down the Montana to pick up my parts from the border that I had ordered. Not a bad load.

Lethbridge-20111203-00089.jpg

Back to Fernie! First step was installing the VRSF front mount, it went pretty well. Cutting out the rad support wasn't too bad once I figured out where it needed to be cut, then just drilled and tapped the fog light holes for it. The piping is very lightweight along with the core. Excellent unit!

Fernie-20111208-00104.jpg

Fernie-20111208-00101.jpg

While I was at it, I removed my emmisions junk. Little bit cleaner under the hood :).

Fernie-20111208-00099.jpg

Time for a break to do some snowboarding on Fernie mountain :). Couldnt have asked for a better day!

Fernie-20111212-00116.jpg

I picked up a fender from a guy, along with a mirror and headlight. The fender had some rust so i decided to cut it out and replace the piece. I havn't gotten to my rockers yet but this turned out not bad. My friend at work welded it for me, it still needs to be grinded down and smoothed out etc, but for a first attempt at any sort I'm pretty happy with it.

Fernie-20111216-00118.jpg

Then after a fight with trying to find a windshield in this town I finally gave up and I threw her on the flatbet to get towed back to Alberta (Thank you dad for coming to pick me and my car up :) ) and now this is where she sits outside the house for now. Teusday windshield goes in!

Fernie-20111216-00120.jpg

Fernie-20111216-00119-1.jpg

More to come in the near future!

Joel

nice update! I haven't been to BC in for ever, love the mountains pic man.
Hey you think you could post a pick of the fender you fixed up? what thickness of metal you use etc?

Thank you very much, I love the mountains. I am in the same boat as you with the prairies for all 20 years of my life haha. I'm excited to spend the winter here.

I can for sure post up some photos of the fender. I'm not going to say that it's excellent work though haha, I am also going to start smoothing it out tomorrow so I'll also take pictures of the process that I'll use.

Joel

Fernie sure is a beautiful place, but if I'm in the mountains for more than a couple weeks I start getting homesick for the prairies! LOL

Good job so far on the build! :thumb:

Nice! Its probably a typo but you said you ordered 2 different fmic's LOL..

Anways, great job!

Looks like its coming along great! Nic Frount moount! My 1g has a monster FMIC. Its like 30 x 20. Or something like that havent measured it but its enormous. Anyways, glad to see its coming along great! Keep it up! :thumb:

Thank you very much, I love the mountains. I am in the same boat as you with the prairies for all 20 years of my life haha. I'm excited to spend the winter here.

I can for sure post up some photos of the fender. I'm not going to say that it's excellent work though haha, I am also going to start smoothing it out tomorrow so I'll also take pictures of the process that I'll use.

Joel
Thanx I'd really like that, gives me a little more knowledge on what to do/use etc. I just have to win a lottery and I'm moving to BC and never coming back! LOL got like $300 loto 649 tickets if I don't win this next time I'm going to be pissed!

Last edited:
Build thread = over. Front corner got buckled in down and back. De-modding and going to sell it cheap for parts or to some high school kid that doesn't care about looks. It's drivable but it wont ever be the same on the outside :cry:. I just don't have the time or skills to cut and weld in the new parts from another vehicle.

Saving my parts, maybe a new talon will be in the future.

Joel

Sorry to hear this man. That really sucks good luck on a new one! Hope to see u motoring in a new DSM real soon. As for parts I could really use the 2G intake system. MAF, Pipe, Filter, everything for the intake. PM me a price! You will probably have to ship it tho

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back