The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

97 Talon TSi New Daily: "Project Rustbucket"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFallenJosh

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2011
Knoxville, Tennessee
So I haven't been on tuners in a little while, I figured it was time to update.

August 27th
I was driving around with my dad on our way to cut some lawns. On our journey around we happened to pass by a used tire shop next to the local dunkin donuts. As we passed by I happened to notice a red 2gb Talon sitting on their lot. I thought hey cool, I'm going to check that out on my way to work later. So later on when I went to work I stopped in and looked it over. As soon as I stepped out of the car I got excited. I immediately noticed the factory blue "16v dohc turbo" lettering on the rocker panels. And then went in to ask them what the deal with the car was. He tells me its for sale. He gave me the guys number and I gave him a call. The man was asking $1500 and he said it needed an alternator. So I went on to work.

August 28th
Went back the next morning scraped up some money and offered the guy $1200. He took the offer and we loaded it on the car trailer. (I forgot how bad it is to turn a car with no power steering due to the belt being disconnected LOL). The car has a few little things wrong with it, but nothing major. The alternator we took a wrench, cranked on the pulley to free it up, and it works just fine to this day. Rust in the rockers and strut towers (like most DSMs these days). Has slight hail damage. And its auto, boo. It makes for a great daily though. 206 thousand miles and runs like it has half that. Car drives straight as an arrow going down the road.
I think we came out pretty good on this. Came with the original window sticker, and key fob! Literally everything worked. Heres some pictures from the day we picked her up.
IMG_0518_zps36c2529b.jpg

IMG_0522_zps2e3825a3.jpg

IMG_0524_zpsd611ab6f.jpg

IMG_0622_zps79f463d8.jpg

The next few days
We spent the next few days polishing up the wheels, giving the paint a good buff, waxing the car, and even found a set of brand new Toyo tires that would fit the car at pullapart for dirt cheap. (and yes the car next to it is in fact GSTalon with a paintjob, but I don't wanna talk about it so lets not go there LOL)
IMG_0540_zpsbdccc621.jpg

IMG_0555_zpsff9d8536.jpg

IMG_0550_zpsdd0e9755.jpg

IMG_0542a_zpscb4e76de.jpg

September 4th
So after much consideration we decided to put a new hood on it. The one that was on the car was rusted pretty badly underneath. So we decided to take the old beat-up carbon fiber one I originally had on GSTalon and to try and fix it up. We repaired some of the cracks that were on the underside with fiberglass and recleared the top of it. It looks practically new now. So we added that too the car.

September 8th
The passenger fender that was on the car had a pretty nasty rot hole in it. So we took my spare fender we had, painted it and put it on the car. We cleaned O'reilly's out of all the radiant fire red they had left haha.

September 15th
Put some clear sidemarkers on the car. And some "roof emblems" off of an eagle vision. Decided to take her downtown and do a photoshoot. ;)
IMG_0657_zpsa3bd2a87.jpg

IMG_0687_zps76b8a313.jpg

Looks great! are both yours? keep updating! And get that little bitta rust fixed ;D hah

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back