The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

97 Spyder GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As if anyone really cares, this will be my first "build post".
Decided to start actually working on the eclipse here in the last couple weeks. I originally set out to just see how the FMIC was mounted, as I had found from reading and photos that the style FMIC I have should allow for the OEM foglights to be installed, where mine had the piping blocking the holes and came with no fog lights or bezels. I noticed in some of the pictures online that the upper mounting bracket could be positioned in a way that drops the intercooler just enough to where the fog light mounting bolts are accessible. So I removed the front bumper and found that my upper bracket was flipped the opposite way, causing the intercooler to block the fog light mounts.. I went ahead and flipped the bracket around, and it indeed does seem that there should be room for the fogs...now I just need to get a set of fog lights and bezels! After doing all that crap, I found myself somewhat motivated to keep working on the damn thing so i decided to remove the cheap china header and replace with the stock manifold. I really didn't like the look of the header and hate the heat it put off, plus performance wise from what I've read the stock exhaust manifold should be fine. So took the turbo and manifold off, found a broken manifold stud that I'll have to get out and replace (yes I noticed it was missing a stud since I purchased the car, but didn't know it was broken off in the head). I confirmed the turbo to be a cheap China set up and then went down a rabbit hole for, so far, the next week basically LOL.. Started thinking about what I wanted to put on for a turbo instead of the China special and have since been exploring different options. My goal (long-term) is to reach 4-500 hp on pump gas with the car being intended for street use. After blowing up jusmx141's (highly recommended! Seems to be a pretty smart gentleman and knows his s#¡+) Facebook messenger with a crap ton of questions over the last several days, and a bit of learning on my part, I've decided upon getting an HX35... Actually just purchased one around 20 mins before typing this out LOL.. I've been doing a bunch of reading and searching etc the last several days on different things I'll need for this set up and am in the processing of procuring some of those things. Still going to need oil lines for the turbo, caps to block off the little coolant lines, a larger intake pipe (4") and accessories (couplers, filter etc)..and I'm now also considering doing the speed density route so I don't have to deal with the MAF and what not. Technically my main goal is to get the thing running again and hopefully better than it did before
Since I've had the car, I have purchased FIC1200 hi-z injectors, 3" megan downpipe, 3" Thermal R&D cat back, ECMlink, Walbro 255, adjustable fuel pressure regular (fuel lab brand maybe?) with lines to connect to the fuel rail, a kit from extremepsi with I think it was -6an lines from the filter to the rail, and a whole assortment of other miscellaneous parts that I don't really remember LOL.
I realize I'm doing it wrong and that I need to get the engine maintenance things done sooner than later. Which I will get the maintenance items done before I really drive it or anything. Actually after I get all this turbo related crap finally figured out, I'll most likely be trying to order maintenance items, i.e. timing belt job related items, radiator hoses, and more... don't remember what all I need that way anymore.
Planning to pick up some ARP head studs tomorrow, as I've noticed that seems to be one of the most recommended things to do somewhat in the beginning..
Are that's about all I've got for now.
Sorry to anyone that actually happens to read this LOL. And I make no promises that I'll continue to post updates as I'll most likely forget.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've posted. Not much has changed with the status of the spyder since the last time I posted. A few weeks ago I decided to go out and mess with it a bit. I removed the crappy 'tint' film from the headlights, and removed both front fenders and hood (have better condition replacements chilling). Started to remove things to be able to remove the head for ARP stud installation and deck flatness check. Pretty well got everything removed other than the front cover, timing components, and the intake manifold. Stopped there because It appears that the hard coolant piping needs to come off to be able to access removing the intake, and I didn't really want to mess with draining coolant at like 4am LOL. Other than that, this week I've started purchasing some more parts that I need.

So its been awhile, figured id post some updated pics. This is where we got so far (like 3 weeks ago LOL). In the process of tearing down to take the head off, flatness check, and install ARP studs.
I intended to work on it late last night/ early this morning, but when I went in the garage, I found my heater wasn't working. So 4-5 hrs later, my heater is working, I rewired like ⅓ of my garage, removed some brackets from my lawnmower, and took pictures of the car... I did not get around to actually working on the car, however.

Attachments

• photostudio_1670854733558.jpg
    photostudio_1670854733558.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 16
  • photostudio_1670855785449.jpg
    photostudio_1670855785449.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 18
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back