The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

'97 Spyder gs-t "Sh!ts and Giggs"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevoREX

Proven Member
Sep 2, 2013
Kalamazoo, Michigan
‘97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder gs-t

Background:
So it’s the ever familiar m.o., I buy the car cause it’s kinda cool and I‘m a fan of dsms. It looks like a good deal and the few things that it needs are simple to fix. The guy wants $2,200. I offer $1,750 given its qwerks. We settle at $1,900 and both of us are happy. I couldn’t test drive it because of the lack of battery but we put on some cables and started it so I could see that it would run. It did so we parted ways. Even at 30 years old, I still give people the benefit of the doubt.

Here’s what I thought I was getting;
The good:
- ‘97 spyder gs-t with no rust and a brand new vinyl top
- 1g turbo and pipe kit
- tokiko struts, lowering springs and “camber kit”
- new front control arms
-’95 computer
- awd trans installed with viscous eliminator
- transfer case included

The bad:
- no power steering pump or reservoir
- no coolant reservoir
- no battery/mount/ tray
- bad rims/ tires

What I got was all of the above plus some extra bad, you know, for good measure. The bonus stuff came in the form of;
- a top that was not installed properly
- a top that wont go down (bent articulating arms/ brackets)
- a very hastily done engine swap (engine is a ‘95)
- bolts loose/ stripped, wrong or missing
- wiring not plugged in and retaining clips broken
- vacuum hoses brittle or missing
- hose clamps loose
- oil leaks
- clogged cpv
- weak brakes front and rear
- bad slave cylinder
- way worn clutch
- bad alternator
- leaky rack
- improperly installed gauge faces (can’t see ‘em at night)
- other nit picky things

Having owned one other dsm, I’m familiar with the basic upkeep of these cars. I’m also comfortable with the comparison of these cars to old Harleys as far as needing some regular lovin via a wrench. That being said, this will be most in-depth I’ve got to just get the car up to snuff. Luckily I’ve got a shop in town (Graveyard Motorsports), that has stuff in stock and some of the random bits available used. There are also a couple other places to get used oem and performance stuff.

Plans/ ideas:

There is a road coarse in our area (Gingerman Raceway) so I want to build a car that I can drive there on occasion. Other than that, I want to build a safe, reliable and fun car to drive during the summer. Given the unpredictable availability of used performance stuff, I haven’t followed the traditional upgrade path, however, I’m not implementing all of my purchases until it is safe to do so. Once I get into the final build stages I will buy factory new stuff but for the transitional period I’m savin money where I can.

Engine/ drivetrain: goal; 400 ish awhp on the ground

Upgrades I’ve got: (+ if installed)
- used cx racing tubular manifold; massaged and cleaned up welds
- rebuilt mhi 16g “big wheel” (thx MI turbo)
- used 680 cc injectors
- used 3” megan o2 housing
+ used complete intake hard pipe kit with 1g bypass
+ new specter dual cone high flow air filter
Upgrades I need/ want:
- gm maf
- tuning software
- custom exhaust
- wideband
- boost controler
- fuel pressure regulator
- fuel pump
- water pump
- radiator
- fmic
- street/ track clutch
- TRE trans rebuild
- …other bits and pieces

Chassis:

+ Prothane poly mounts
Upgrades I need/ want:
- roll cage
- sub-frame supports
- awd conversion

Suspension/ brakes/ wheels:

+ Tokico shocks and struts
+ lowering springs
+ eccentric bolts for the upper control arms
- 17” primax 618 wheels
Upgrades I need/ want:
- big brake kit

My plans for the car include:
- full maintenance work-up including timing belt (not sure what all has been done so I’m gonna do all of it)
- removing the soft top permanently (already done)
- sheet metal the gap where top used to rest when down
- removing all glass and related bits other than windshield
- removing rear seat and trim (already done)
- mount battery in trunk
- mount radiator in trunk and run ducts out bottom where spare would be
- mount spare where the rear seat used to be
- engine bay clean-up
- weld doors
- new paint
- custom leather cover kind of like tonneau
- rework dash
-...other stuff I've forgotten

Im sorry but I just read as far as graveyard motorsports and though I would tell you to look at the vendor reviews of said shop before you have them do ANY work on your DSM

so far i've only bought used stuff from them, no service work. i'm trying to do as much myself as i can. i haven't looked at their reviews but i've only had good experiences with those guys. their shop is down the road from me so going through them is convenient for me. thx for the heads up though.

Hey man i see your from kalamazoo, hit me up if you need any help. Striclty modified imports is here, allen the owner goes to gingerman ill be headed out that way this year myself to check it out.
welcome to the forums.

Striclty imports motorsports.

thx man i've heard good things about those guys. i've driven by the shop but never had the time to stop.

Yes man there great car is there right now, its going to be fun around here once it gets warmer welcome.

Can't wait. im pretty much on hold till it gets warm and I've got a lot to do yet.

I feel you I got some stuff to get done as I do every year but I do enough for now and ill do more once its warmer. There are some fun things going on once its warmer, from what allen tells me. Well get together once its warmer, if that's a plan.

Got my new wheels and tires installed. Primax 618s with Continental Extremecontact DWs. Size is 215/50/17.
20140604_181128.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back