The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

97 silver GSX history and Build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan11

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 30, 2010
El Paso, Texas
The Inspiration.
This is the reason why my i decided to enter the DSM world. On 2006 my Father gave my brother(307dsm) the shell of 1999 Eclipse tenth anniversary edition. Since that day i have been in love with 2g Dsm's

Rally_Art.jpg

I know this has somewhat nothing to do with my Current GSX but i want you guys to know The history of how it all began, and how i got my baby. My Brother still has his Dsm up to present.

September 2010
I was 17 and As soon as i got enough money to buy a car, guess what i bough???????? :hmm:Incorrect, i didn't bought the GSX. I bough a crashed 1996 Gs i know a GsWTF. But it Ran and i only paid $200:thumb:
The entire front end was gone and the rear sub frame was bent. I swapped everything it needed Front bumper, both fenders, full interior, the rear Sub frame, and hatch from a GST(the GST shell belonged to my Brother and he gave i to me :rocks:). I also gave the car a good tune up and replaced tons of parts. And gave it a paint job.

Rear sub-frame from the GST.

IMAG0038.jpg

This is the GS With the New Front end.

0925001556.jpg

THats me Swapping the Rear sub frame from the donor Gst.

Unknownexport_1285456243_picsay-1285456243-1.jpg

After the car was up and running again i decided to Pain it The OEM color

1124001348a.jpg

This is what i ended up with. A "nice" running freshly painted 2G for exactly $1300. I wasnt so happy though, this thing was a POS next to my Brothers 2G. Those are 3g wheels. Another gift from my Brother. I have such a bad-ass brother don't I.

0207011724a.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

March 2011

I daily Drove that thing for two months and was not satisfied with it. NOt at all.
:nono:

I put the GS up for sale and sold it on march 11,2011 for $2000 (i made some profit.) THAT SAME DAY I bought my Current 1997 GSX. The Previews owner was asking $5000 for it and My father low balled him with $4000 cash.

02251153369501.jpg

A rust Free with 130k completley stock AWD DSM :hellyeah:.Except for a 1G BOV with an adapter on the stock I/C pipping.
It Was slammed on kyb-gr2 shocks and eibatch springs. (not good for me)

downsized_0212011153.jpg

- It had bad Rear differential bushings. (You could hear a clunk every time you shifted.)
- Bad thermostat. (Fans will never turn of)
-Bad shifter adjustment
-And a short that drained the battery.
-Needed a full tune up.

downsized_0217011551.jpg

My Brother an I have twin cars now. :hellyeah::rocks:

alangsx.jpg

3eclipses.jpg

Last edited:
Summer 2011

The Gsexx needed some maintenance before it can be a DD.
The first thing i did was to replace the Rear differential bushings.

I forgot to to take pictures of the old bushings :ohdamn: These are the new ones.
downsized_0223011558.jpg

installed
0223011948.jpg

0223011938.jpg

0223012208.jpg

0223012209.jpg

Replacing these took me around 4-5 hours.

Next was to give the car a nice stance.
Megan Street series coil overs
downsized_0313011229.jpg

0313011316.jpg

How often do you see one of these? :sneaky:

securedownload11.jpg

The car was fixed up to DD. (Its my only car)

The engine bay looked as stockish as it can be. I didn't took pics of it either.:ohdamn: Just imagine a stock engine bay for now LOL

October 2011

At this point i have done a lot to this car considering that i work and go to college.

-New coolant hoses all around (just for the peace of mind)
-Poly motor mounts.
-Front/rear strut bars.
-Oil changes every 2000 miles.
-Stripped the interior to remove the Shitty amp cables the previews owner
installed. Also vacuumed the interior.
-New (Hyundai valve cover) Spray canned by me. :D
-Evo 9 Wheels.
-And hard upper and lower I/C pipping with the same 1G BOV.

This is how the car sits as of today (11/26/11). I know it looks weird without the side skirts, but the driver side ones were falling off and it was missing the door cap. I am planning on getting 2Ga twisted talon sides skirts :thumb:

IMG_20111009_181700.jpg

And here is the engine bay as of today (11/26/11)
IMG_20111116_165016.jpg

Last edited:
Nice GSX. Hey i just put in a new 6 bolt and a new ACT 2600 clutch. Every time i shift i get a clunk also, started to think it was just the clutch, but those bushings might be my issue too. Were they easy to install? I found some polly bushings on extreme psi for 150. do they really make a difference?

looks clean man i have a 99 silver 2gb like this one as well min has the all black interior :p enjoy the car!

Thanks, i have been enjoying the car since i got it. :hellyeah: this thing is awesome.

Chingon tu carro carnal.... Ahora tu licencia.... Y listo y ay te mando las fotos k te faltan...

Gracias wei.. Y gracias por ayudarme.

Nice GSX. Hey i just put in a new 6 bolt and a new ACT 2600 clutch. Every time i shift i get a clunk also, started to think it was just the clutch, but those bushings might be my issue too. Were they easy to install? I found some polly bushings on extreme psi for 150. do they really make a difference?

Thanks man. Well it depends where is the clunk noise coming from. It can also be your motor mounts. The only way to know if you need differential bushings is lifting the car up and check for slack in the differential. Try moving it up and down. Mine were torn you could clearly see it. Also you might want to check on your carrier bearing and u-joints.

Here is a write up on how to replace them. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...n-aluminum-rear-differential-bushings-2g.html

You have to completely drop the entire sub frame.
I only used a manual press to remove them. Then i put grease on the sub frame where the bushings go and used a 2x4 peace of wood and a hammer to slide them in. It took me 4-5 hours from start to finish by myself. I only got help from my brother and dad to replace the bushings and to lift the frame back up into the car. :)

I bought these EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts
and they do make noise but it is minimal, not even my brother noticed the noise until he actually drove the car. Great For track and DD. Very satisfied with these bushings.

Theirs also these its your choice. http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-99-DSM-R...its=Model:Eclipse&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cb6d23101

Last edited by a moderator:
i miss my old 2g, had the same color as yours, anyway sweet gsx! Should probably wrap the front strut tower bar or make sure the positive terminal NEVER hits the front strut tower bar, I've read threads back then about cars getting on fire because of it!

i miss my old 2g, had the same color as yours, anyway sweet gsx! Should probably wrap the front strut tower bar or make sure the positive terminal NEVER hits the front strut tower bar, I've read threads back then about cars getting on fire because of it!

Thanks. and my battery has a bracket and doesn't move at all. I was actually thinking about putting blue tape around the strut bar but it wold look riced out LOL

Update

Finished my 60k maintenance last Thursday (DEC 1, 2011)

I replaced my timing belt and all its components. Along with the water pump.

Old belts
IMG_20111130_132037.jpg

The old balance shaft belt was about to snap OMG
IMG_20111205_153718.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the new belts on. I always forget. :banghead::banghead:

The car is running and as soon as weather gets nicer i will change the drive train fluids with the red line oil i have sitting around in my room. :thumb:

And that should be it for this year. I think. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks, i have been enjoying the car since i got it. :hellyeah: this thing is awesome.

Gracias wei.. Y gracias por ayudarme.

Thanks man. Well it depends where is the clunk noise coming from. It can also be your motor mounts. The only way to know if you need differential bushings is lifting the car up and check for slack in the differential. Try moving it up and down. Mine were torn you could clearly see it. Also you might want to check on your carrier bearing and u-joints.

Here is a write up on how to replace them. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...n-aluminum-rear-differential-bushings-2g.html

You have to completely drop the entire sub frame.
I only used a manual press to remove them. Then i put grease on the sub frame where the bushings go and used a 2x4 peace of wood and a hammer to slide them in. It took me 4-5 hours from start to finish by myself. I only got help from my brother and dad to replace the bushings and to lift the frame back up into the car. :)

I bought these EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts
and they do make noise but it is minimal, not even my brother noticed the noise until he actually drove the car. Great For track and DD. Very satisfied with these bushings.

Theirs also these its your choice. 95-99 DSM REAR DIFFERENTIAL BUSHINGS Eclipse Talon Diff | eBay

i just put in polly mounts so that could be the reason for the clunking. ill check all the carrier berrings like you said.

i just put in polly mounts so that could be the reason for the clunking. ill check all the carrier berrings like you said.

No poly motor mounts make the ride better. And should only clunk if a bolt is missing or loose. check every bolt especially on the rear mount. that was a PITA wasn't it. ROFL Maybe you didn't tightened it all the way.

Check your Diff Bushings too.

Good build so far, any updates?

Indeed there are some updates, today is my day off so ill try to update it. And thanks nothing compared to your's. LOL

Nice build 'Los. I just ran across this thread. It's cool to see it from the beginning to where it is now. Keep up the good work. :thumb:

Thanks Corey! have yo seen my brothers 1g bulid??

Last edited:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm-build-journals/419313-1991-gst-street-car.html
This our main build.

Spring 2012

Thermal R&D:sneaky: Catback with a megan test pipe, im still trying to decide what Downpipe to get. Since the thermal neck at the cat is 2.5" i dont want to cut an weld a 3" flange, ill just have a shop fabricate a 2.5" downpipe.
securedownloa3.jpg

securedownload4.jpg

thermal.jpg

securedownload5.jpg

My brother (307DSM)did me the favor of doing all the drivetrain fluid changes on my car Tranny/t-case/and differential, everything went well except that the t-case had no oil in it. He refiled the t-case with redline oil and i drove it around the block and indeed it was leaking :banghead::banghead: great :cry:

That same day my brother did his tranny oil change on his 420a with Amsoil :)
securedownload6.jpg

Now the GSX didn't move for about a month,(i didn't wanted the t-case to lock, either way only God knows how much time it was without oil) i ordered a new yoke /u-joints/ T-case output seal, and more oil, along with other parts that will go in the car later on :)
securedownload7.jpg

securedownload8.jpg

securedownload9.jpg

securedownload12.jpg

securedownload10.jpg

securedownload11-1.jpg

2Ga twisted talon side skirts FINALLY (6-3-12)
securedownload13.jpg

securedownload14.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I am about to update this thread LOL. Long Story Short i bough an 04 Rx-8 as a Daily driver. Worst and best decision i have ever made. The car has 64k original miles, six months later the 13b Rene-sis engine blew the Apex seals LOL:cry::notgood::ohdamn: I had to decide if i wanted to fix it or trade it. So i trade it LOL i was not going to make that another project. I ended up Getting a 08 Caliber Srt-4 with 50k at a very low price thanks to my Brother (307dsm). After all this mess Money has been tight, and after a year i have managed to buy parts for the DSM. Updates Coming soon :rocks::sneaky:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back