The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

97 GSX Time Attack Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irish2487

Probationary Member
Jan 13, 2014
Redding, California
OK...here we go. 97 GSX Stock start besides...some bolt ons...
This is my first AWD Turbo car so I'm preety stoked...going to take my time and do it right...no bus hack job or tweeker stuff.
I'll update with new developments..
First ...Stage 0 Path...
Pics to come...

Pics when bought.... IMG_20140113_161023_108.jpg

IMG_20140113_161035_310.jpg

IMG_20140113_161047_170.jpg

IMG_20140113_161117_507.jpg

IMG_20140113_161135_122.jpg

Pretty clean. How many miles?

She has 117k...original...I'm the third owner. Clutch replaced 2800 miles ago...Plugs and wires replaced too...She runs good. I just want to adjust the idle first...

Put the heat shield back on the exhaust manifold, put some better brake pads/fluid in the car, and LEARN HOW TO DRIVE THE CAR BEFORE YOU MOD IT AT ALL. I say this from the bottom of my heart out of consideration for you.

You will be wasting your time/money/etc if you throw 400 whp at the car and end up chasing cooling, transmission, brake issues, tuning issues... While this place has an okay knowledge base, the large amount of it is dedicated to drag racing and most of the parts left for these cars is geared towards drag racing.

My suggestions for you:

Clean everything up to factory order.
Flush the brake system.
Change all fluids (including rear end/trans/transfer case).
Check the wheel bearings.
Check alignment/ball joints.
Check shock condition. Replace them with Koni Yellows if bad (keep the stock springs, the car will roll like an old canoe but you are not auto-crossing).
Put a real harness in the car with a real fixed back bucket seat.
Change the pads to something like Porterfield R4S or R4E and put new rotors on. (You will learn that these cars chew through rotors). Save your pennies up for an EVO8 Brembo system, which addresses the brake issue.
Buy some EVO8 wheels and some BF Goodrich Rival tires (along with the brakes).
Get an external air oil cooler/oil pressure gauge/water temp/oil temperature gauge so you know when to lay off the throttle.

Do not be tempted to throw money at the engine. The only thing you should be doing is making sure it runs right and doesn't eat a bearing. You have a cat back on already. The itty bitty T25 will teach you more about handling and how to DRIVE fast rather than just slam your foot to the floor and let the horsepower carry you.

Last edited:
Thanks cait sith ...copied and pasted your entire list to my phone...I agree...I have a way to learn about handling and driving...my cart experience will help with track and race procedures...but I have a way to go with this DSM.
I will take your advice for sure...

First- Full Car Fluids Change.
Trans. Diffs. Clutch. Radiator. Oil...
Everything I can maintenance wise will be done before any modding...thanks.

OK well this weekend:

-K&N Air Filter Insert
-NGKs with Premium Wires
-Bosch Fuel Filter
-Full Fluid Flush/Change
Trans. Diff. Brake. Clutch.
Transfer Case. and Radiator
-Suspension/Bearing Check
-Front and Rear New Premium Pads
-Full Intercooler Cleaning
-BCS Restrictor Mod
-Clutch Switch Delete
-Gut the Trunk
- Set Timing
- and some wire management...

.. yeah so I got a nice long weekend ahead of me...
Looking forward to getting to know my 2G...

Any suggestions on things to do while I'm under there let me know...????????

Pictures to come of the progress

Alright Finally made up my mind...
Light build...300 to 320 whp. Nothing more...
Daily Monster...

Should be easy with:
Purdy new GT28 ;)
1G TB and BOV
Cold Intake/Turbo Piping
AEM Fuel Rail
Ebay Front Mount Kit
Cat-Back to Flow master
...ordered and awaiting my boxes

Last edited:
OK so cleaned the intercooler with gas and degreeser.
now she is nice and clean...then cut out the lovers behind it in the tire well.
And installed new premium pads all the way around...IMG_20140124_131603_248.jpg

IMG_20140124_131608_685.jpg

IMG_20140124_134709_807.jpg

IMG_20140124_140559_498.jpg

IMG_20140124_131620_165.jpg

So is this an actual time attack build, or did you change your mind to just a fun street car? Just questioning as those brake pads won't last very long on a road course.

Oh, and the AEM fuel rail is definitely not necessary unless you're just buying it for the bling. That money could better be spent elsewhere, like injectors, a fuel pump, or a tuning system, none of which I see mentioned in your thread.

Yes...DD for sure... but Iive near many road courses hoping to make it a hobby. Understood and noted about the AEM thought for sure it was higher flowing...will mark it off the list...

My next project is taking the ecu out and finding out : EPROM or non eprom.
Injectors and walbro is on the way...that's next as well...
thanks for the info

NP...its hard navigating this forum on my phone...can you enlighten me on how to change title of this thread to DD build....???

show me how please navigating this forum on a phone is a bit rough to me....???

I don't belive I can edit the thread because I'm a probationary member???
The "edit thread" option doesn't come up...???

Do I have a boost leak?
Idle Vaccum after 10 min warm up is around 12 ???

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back