The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

97 eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maybe my more aggressive cams have a bit of extra overlap causing a small leak not really sure. Last time i tested it was with the head pulled and the cams out but valves and seals in and it didn't leak a bit.

Did a BLT directly at the TB elbow just to see if there were any leaks while the turbo was out. Depending on cam orientation im getting air leaks from the exhaust ports. At TDC the air comes out of cylinder 4 exhaust valves. Not a bunch but a little. I think i may have something wrong going on, getting the turbo rebuilt only to run into this its disheartening. Didn't leak before the HG change with it out and the cams removed, O we
If you meant at TDC w/ cams being lined up, that's normal. #1 is in compression stroke, both in/ex valves are closed. but #4 is in exhaust stroke and going to intake stroke. Which means both in/ex valves may open slightly. If the valves seal well, the air should come out only from #4 exhaust port. Shouldn't come out from #1/2/3.

If you meant at TDC w/ cams being lined up, that's normal. #1 is in compression stroke, both in/ex valves are closed. but #4 is in exhaust stroke and going to intake stroke. Which means both in/ex valves may open slightly. If the valves seal well, the air should come out only from #4 exhaust port. Shouldn't come out from #1/2/3.
This helps a ton thank you. Since #4 is on the passanger side and that's where the slight leak is I suppose it's ok.

If you like, try to rotate the crank 180 degree (90 degree at cam dowel pin), the air should stop coming out from #4 port and come out from #2 instead.
If rotate the crank 360 degree (180 degree at cam dowel pin) the air should come out from #1.
If rotate the crank 540 degree (270 degree at cam dowel pin), the air should come out from #3.

Hoping to get things going again I had some health issues set me back but hoping to start plugging away. Im being very patient with the turbo stuff I haven't felt much like wrenching either I will post updates for sure thank you for asking.

part0(23)~2.jpgNever too early to start learning.

It's been a tough few months, now things are going. The boxed up turbo sat on my shelf for months. I started getting ahead now the car can resume. I successfully got the thing shipped last night around 6pm and is on its way to Justin for the rebuild. Feels great to get back on the DSM grind with all you guys. 🤘

Maybe putting the cart before the horse but i bought me some really nice coolant hoses for the turbo when it gets back here. Got three feet of this so I might replace some of the other 3/8 ID hoses with this material.
Capture+_2022-09-11-17-41-51.png
Guess i should get these guys tooCapture+_2022-09-12-10-14-06.png

Last edited:
Cars on jack stands to prep for the final push before getting back on the road.
I also picked up a nifty stainless wastegate dump tube. The previous owner shortened the one it had dumping exhaust gas directly at the engine:ohdamn:
Its an eBay special but i dont see any risk in using this part.
Capture+_2022-10-12-18-51-26.png

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back