The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

97 eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff, check the turbo for shaft play. you may have a blown turbo or massive exhaust leak...
When a turbo goes bad, it would sometimes make some sort of hum noise (high pitch noise), so if you hear it under the hood and no pressure is built, you should suspect it first. Exhaust leak also would make weird noise.
Hiroshi i dont see any carbon leakage on the exhaust before entering the compressor housing. Used some calipers to measure the appx. Play in the cartridge shaft and I measured an approximate 3mm of in and out play. There is an almost unnoticeable play up and down. i am actually wondering right now if the shaft isnt snapped. If that were the case it would probably had tons of up and down play right?

Either way the turbo needs to come out... But i haven't really thought about the wastegate possibly being stuck open either. But heres the impeller...
20211216_190115.jpg
20211216_190109.jpg

How about in/out play? If the shaft is snapped, If the shaft is snapped, you would see more obvious sign/damage from it, so I don't think that's the case. There is a possibility that the wastegate is stuck open, if that the case you would hear some noise that you usually don't hear at low RPM and would see no boost.

How about in/out play? If the shaft is snapped, If the shaft is snapped, you would see more obvious sign/damage from it, so I don't think that's the case. There is a possibility that the wastegate is stuck open, if that the case you would hear some noise that you usually don't hear at low RPM and would see no boost.
In and out play was about 3mm

Ah you uploaded pics, I didn't see it. Wow Jeff, yeah you got a blown turbo, you need to rebuild it. You see the cause of noise on the compressor wheel.
Thank you for the heads up. Yeah guess it will sit awhile next couple days off i get ill pull the turbo and start taking it apart. You think you could help me find the correct turbo cartridge? This turbo is pretty old.

What turbo is it? You should ask Justin to rebuild or for parts, or find a good used 16g may be cheaper.
Had a friend tell me what it was and i posted it on my build details im starting to doubt the info in correct. It has a 3" compressor inlet a five bolt down pipe side outlet and the wastegate is mounted to the bottom of the exhaust wheel housing and it is an old HKS waste gate.
20211216_192600.jpg
20211216_192542.jpg
There's a 35 on the t3 flange in this pic.
You commented on that wastegate a few weeks ago and said you thought it looked like it was from as far back as the 90's. Cant remember which page of the build thread its on.

Great call Hiroshi! When you had the head off, no sings of damage?
No the head and block looked great. Compression test came out good, leak down after turned out good, have done 3 BLTs since getting the engine reassembled, there is a bit of air coming out of the flat side of the compressor housing where the bolts are, not significant but leaks to a degree about 1 pound every 15 to 20 seconds.

Jeff, isn't it a cx racing t04e from eBay? If so, if I were you I wouldn't try to repair, I would look for a good used MHI 16/18/20g or soi don.
I think this is a good genuine turbo, if its based on the blue coupler there it is one i bought to replace the old worn out coupler originally on it. This is no ebay special my friend. The turbo has been on this car since 2004 according to the original owner and it has had the crap ran out of it. Were it an eBay turbo it would have wore out long long ago.

Last edited:
I am however interested in opinion on maybe trying a different set up. This turbo had a bunch of lag and i would like to have a spool time a bit shorter but not give up too much top end. I remember the first time I got the revs up on this turbo and it blew my mind at the time how much authority it pulled with. Those turbo options you mentioned do sound interesting, I will look at those types you mentioned, this turbo might be too old to find parts for, or would take too long to find what i need. Another thing i dont know if it makes a difference on rebuilding it is that it is also a ball bearing set up as well.

I am not sure what exactly the turbo is but since it's a ball bearing turbo and the compressor wheel is damaged, probably you should look for another setup. And yes it would be much easier to find parts and to repair when necessary. You run E85, so you can make a good power even with a 16g.

I am not sure what exactly the turbo is but since it's a ball bearing turbo and the compressor wheel is damaged, probably you should look for another setup. And yes it would be much easier to find parts and to repair when necessary. You run E85, so you can make a good power even with a 16g.
Keep me in mind if you happen to see a good deal somewhere. I really appreciate all the info. I'll get the turbo out and look for some ID info on it and post a bunch of different angle pictures and see if someone can ID it. I always get lost discussing turbo sizes.

Sure I will let you know if I find one 👍
So i was wondering about my turbo and mine is different than all the other turbos i have seen so far on the forum. Why is the wastegate set up like this. This is the wastegate pointing straight down from the hot side housing.
20211021_150052.jpg
It is set up in a manner that a turbo blanket cant be fastened around the hot side housing.

So i was wondering about my turbo and mine is different than all the other turbos i have seen so far on the forum. Why is the wastegate set up like this. This is the wastegate pointing straight down from the hot side housing.
View attachment 648191
It is set up in a manner that a turbo blanket cant be fastened around the hot side housing.
Maybe the previous owner fabricated it? Like the old HKS cast manifold had the wastegate under runners for JDM GVR4 and early EVO.

Along with turbo shopping I have been getting the itch to look into the AWD setup conversion. Doing my own work i really don't know the availability of parts, and price of such parts and how much it would cost me to do correctly. I've looked into this and mostly found very old. threads that more than likely had a bigger selection of parts when the conversion was discussed.

Safe to say about less than $2k for parts. I’m biased to awd so I will always say go awd. And yeah parts are going to be harder to find. Jeff, do you have a welder?
I don't own one myself but i have many friends who do. Most of my friends are garage monkeys like me. Im not a very good welder. I've been practicing but i wouldn't trust my own welds.LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back