The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

97 eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

totally off topic and i appologize but, i love your valve cover, i want to paint mine white but idk which kind of paint to use that wont burn off but still looks good under heat.
I think powder coating would be the best route. I used ceramic and it discolored slightly but it is seeming to hold under heat though just a shade darker than it started.

I think powder coating would be the best route. I used ceramic and it discolored slightly but it is seeming to hold under heat though just a shade darker than it started.
awesome thank you for that info, ill look into powder coating then

Ran into a snag damn ARP nut got slightly rounded. Used a cheap 12 point 13mm socket to save time so i didn't have to track down where i set my good one and now im paying for it. Need to get a turbo socket extractor to finish the job. Lesson to learn here, use the highest quality tools you have on the internals!!!LOL

20210901_153326.jpg

On a better note
Yikes!! Didn’t know the 2g’s use 13mm nuts. Good luck getting it out man. I’ll be praying to the dsm Gods 🙏
Thanks! All good man been down this road 1 other time but i wasn't the idiot in that story LOL. I just will need a new ARP nut to replace the one im going to destroy with the extractor. On a better note im getting both surfaces decked for 80 bucks. Its good to have a machine shop buddy LOL

Dang it! I’d just go oem composite. Ran a copper hg on my 2g for a long time without any issues at 25-28psi.
I found a copper gasket for 105$ is that good or is it too good to be true? I started researching copper hg's and they form to the surfaces really well I think I want to go that route. You used to drag your 2g and it held up well at 400whp with copper. Sounds like a winner.

I found a copper gasket for 105$ is that good or is it too good to be true? I started researching copper hg's and they form to the surfaces really well I think I want to go that route. You used to drag your 2g and it held up well at 400whp with copper. Sounds like a winner.
Jeff, I don't recommend a copper gasket for street cars or unless you have the block or head SS o-ringed. Copper gaskets is very good to seal cylinders if you have the block/head SS o-ringed w/ groove. but generally it would give you more sealing issues than composite or MLS gaskets, especially on coolant and oil passages.
If the car would be used often on streets, it may bother you often.

Jeff, I don't recommend a copper gasket for street cars or unless you have the block or head SS o-ringed. Copper gaskets is very good to seal cylinders if you have the block/head SS o-ringed w/ groove. but generally it would give you more sealing issues than composite or MLS gaskets, especially on coolant and oil passages.
If the car would be used often on streets, it may bother you often.
Thank you Hiroshi that really helped a bunch. I will steer from copper as suggested. I dont really beat on the car but id really like to put this HG issue to bed for several years with a good dependable HG.

In the process of cleaning the cooling system. Before the next start up i will be changing the oil as well. I didnt find any fluids mixing but that doesn't mean its not there its probably just not noticeable.
Got some other gaskets coming and i need a replacement bolt head for 1 of my ARP studs and of course a new head gasket.

Attachments

• 20210902_133834.jpg
    20210902_133834.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210902_133838.jpg
    20210902_133838.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 21
Having trouble finding this guy here. I think when the HG went and or the head gapped, boost went into the cooling system and blew out a weak spot on the male end that plugs into the therm housing plumbing. The flange section seems to have rotted away and the gasket on it was beyond destroyed.
20210902_175253~2.jpg

Last edited:
Having trouble finding this guy here. I think when the HG went and or the head gapped, boost went into the cooling system and blew out a weak spot on the male end that plugs into the therm housing plumbing. The flange section seems to have rotted away and the gasket on it was beyond destroyed.View attachment 638935
Yeah I’d source a new/used one. See if performance part out has one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back