The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

97 eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's been an issue for almost 3 years now I've chased it and failed so I decided to go a new route with a really responsive gps sensor. I have a lot of things I still need to sort out and I'm ready to get it permanently fixed. I'm sure you are right about a wire or connector somewhere I'm just done chasing it.

It's been an issue for almost 3 years now I've chased it and failed so I decided to go a new route with a really responsive gps sensor. I have a lot of things I still need to sort out and I'm ready to get it permanently fixed. I'm sure you are right about a wire or connector somewhere I'm just done chasing it.

Benefit to the GPS unit will be accurate speed regardless of wheel/tire size.

Indeed, i ran into that issue in highschool with the RS I had when i stuck some 17's on it it never crossed my mind all i thought was shiny new wheels.

20210119_200320.jpg
20210119_200327.jpg

Got the new speedo and tach in the mail. I really like the set u. can't wait to test them on the road.

I got multiple issues taken car of from a simple fix on running a singular shorter air source from the intake manifold to a GM MAP sensor that was ran on this vehicle before purchasing. Thanks to member tks9d2tsi i have been able to fix/ identify a lot of older mods made to the car before I purchased it.
The next change i will make is a new powder coated white valve cover and a billet plug wire cover, billet half moon plug, and oem gasket. I look forward to posting the new pics. The powder coater should be finished in the next week or so.

Well i ran into my next snag with the car, and its a steady low voltage reading. I replaced the alternator with a genuine oem, a good quality belt, and installed a Red top Optima. The volts a hanging around at 12.7v at steady 825rpm idle. My radio has been reseting between start ups intermittently. I'm going through the wiring now but if anyone knows maybe a notorious wire or such that causes an issue like this please let me know.

Pulled valve cover to prepare for my new ceramic coated one being professionaly done. Noticed some rounding to the cam lobes. I replaced the oil pump and oil sump and got ahold of some 276 Crower cams. Valves are still in good shape. Got some better springs and retainers and need one new rocker. Seems like a good opportunity to upgrade the head needing these parts anyway.

20210211_153833.jpg
20210211_153839.jpg

getting everything cleaned up about to run and get some mineral spirits to clean the cam bearings and journals roller rockers ect. I'm a little disappointed that only my cam seals showed up today oh well. I bought one of those cam gear locks and that thing was worth every penny. The cam journals have never needed to be smoothed up before or after my most recent rebuild. I guess the oil ports are just very functional still. But I did put in a new oil pump and sump which after inspecting didn't look bad but this is my baby so I'm going on the safe side. Got one more day off and fingers crossed they show up tomorrow.

20210216_200718.jpg

20210217_232503.jpg

ordered all my timing components today. Camshafts are taking forever through STM. still waiting on the new valve cover too. I went a bit over board on the timing belt as I chose to run the HKS belt. I feel much better knowing the timing belt will take way more than my setup can handle. I don't want all my hard work being destroyed by a simple belt. Im going to post more once the other parts arrive. I should be able to raise the hp a decent amout. with

The wait continues for the cam shafts. The head is back in the car with valves reseated and cleaned. I had cleaned my lifters had them soaking and decided last night to a change for the head rebuild. I am currently running 1g lifters or i believe them to be because of the coke bottle style cap and the tiny weep hole at the top. I have ordered a set of the 3rd design lifters. The 1g lifters may be fine after a good cleaning as i have done but i really want to try these out and see what all the fuss is about :hmm:

Got mine from MAPerformance, Kelford 272. They had a sale going on at the time and think I paid less than $400 shipped. Yeah seems like same old STM stuff
I got most of my gaskets from MAP. Kelford seems to be choice of alot of members. I went crower due to using them in my neon before this build and they performed very well.

There are too many cams available for our cars LOL. There’s a post here where they compared several different cams on the dyno IIRC. Can’t remember if crowers were on there but you’ll be fine w those.

Thanks man i think if i could go back i would have gotten the kelford shafts, they must be good if you and Marty use them. But i got those 3g lifters going in new torque solution motor mounts and a really nice timing belt goin in with those cams and the head should be solid. I had to get some timing parts because i neglected changing the tensioner and timing pulleys after putting in all new bottom end parts. Never changed those on an internal rebuild. I feel kind of silly in retrospect. Should be fun and reliable when im done, I'm ready to finally put some miles on that thing.

20210303_083425.jpg
20210303_083517.jpg

The 3g lifters came in the other day. Heres a brief look at the differences of the 1g lifters (Right) and the redesign 3g lifters (left). From the experience of both I have found the 3g to be quite a bit easier to bleed. The 1gs have a very small oil hole and easy to break a needle off in while depressing the inside to bleed. Though I have not tried them out yet do to the ongoing no camshafts issue, I think these are very nice solid lifters that will make a great addition for the head rebuild I am in the process of doing. I gave about 100$ for the set which surprised me.
The 1g lifters were not collapsing all the way when bleeding or after removing the bottle cap and doing a good cleanout, I have 4 that are like this. If you are having a similar issues these seem to be a great replacement if you need a set.

Called STM got some annoying news that my camshafts are on back order and will be shipped directly from Brian Crower to reduce shipping time which is awesome. Problem is the ETA is April 4...
:banghead:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back