The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

97 eclipse gst

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsm2Nv

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2007
toronto, ON_Canada
So i have had this car for about 6 years now and just wanted to post its progress threw this long jorney! Here is a couple of pictures of when i first got her.

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

At this point i drove the car for about 2 months with out a single issue. But then it all started first thing to go was my driver side axle, followed by my passenger side axle and then all my brakes started to seize at this point i thought the worse was over having no mechanical knowledge everything was paid for out of pocket and being 17 years old working part time wasn't much of help. So after everything was fixed i started to drive the car again and it started to overheat about 4 days into driving it brought it back to a mechanic to find out it had blown the head gasket and they wanted about $2,000 to fix it at this point with no funds left and with out a car i decided to park it and start to buy parts slowly to put a 6 bolt motor into it and build it faster and stronger so it begins !

This is what i had done to the engine.

Disassemble Engine and inspectio

Engine head rebuild and resurface

Bore/hone cylinders walls plus wash and replace frost plugs

Resurface block deck

Balance rotating assembly

Align hone main bore

Micro polish crankshaft

Assemble bottom end/set ring gaps

Assemble long block assembly

Parts Used For This Build.

Ross Racing forged pistons 9.1 comp
Eagle H-Beam Connecting Rods
Arp Main studs
Topline Oil Pump Assembly
Topline Waterpump
Topline complete gasket kit
Mitsu Timming belt
Mitsu Hydrulic Tensioner
Mitsu Idler and Tensioner pulleys
brian crower springs,valves,retainers
Mitsu 4 layer MLS headgakset
Arp Head studs
ACL Race Main Bearing set:
ACL Race Rod Bearing set:
Topline revised lifters
40 mm tial wastegate
vict performance 02 housing
vict performance external dump
greddy timming belt
aem wideband
stewart warner boost gauge
hks full exhaust
408.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

Picture16.jpg

DSC01170.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

At this point it was spring time and i send her off to a local machine shop to start the work needless to say i was impressed with there work. Leading up to this point i had been reading alot on tuners and my local dsm board ca.dsm.org also helped some local menbers threw winter with there build witch tought me alot about my own car. So it was time to build her with help from a local menber we got the motor done here is some pictures of the motor being put together and build threw the spring.

Last edited:
So it was june 2007 when i put the motor in. brought the car to a friends place and after about 3 weeks of work she was done and ready to drive again.
IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

CIMG1732.jpg

CIMG1734.jpg

CIMG1730.jpg

CIMG1735.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Set and done drove her for about a month braking in the motor it drove like a new car. So after a couple of months of driving her we had a local dsm meet at the track the plan was to drive up with some friends from the local board to watch them race. I got a bite from the boost bug and i decided i would take her down the track still only running stock boost i figured it couldn't hurt, well was i wrong first pass down the track was like something i had never experienced before (wheel hop). The car spun and hoped off the line and just went bang before i knew it my transmission was gone and the car out again !

cayuga023.jpg

cayuga039.jpg

cayuga028.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

Last edited:
nice car, have to agree the vtech this plug cover is pretty cool

So after blowing transmission winter was around the corner so i decided to park her and get her ready once again for spring. Im from Ontario and a fwd dsm transmission here is impossible to find, i whent all winter with out finding one so i ended up picking up one from the us, the guy had crashed his car and it had about 45 thousand miles on it. After some messaging back and forth i decided to pick it up and had her running once again.Since there was still snow on the floor i decided to get the car painted and ready to go for spring.

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

So at this point i decided to sell the 60 trim set up and wanted to upgrade to something bigger so i toke it apart and sold it. Couple of weeks later came across a good deal that i picked up it was a comp turbo the thing was massive from what i remember it was comparable to a gt42. Had that for a while and was trying to fit everything and get her done for the 2011 dsm shootout witch didn't happen. It was 3 weeks from the shootout and the car was still apart, there was no way i was missing another one of these so i threw the turbo on the forum and got it sold.Threw on a greddy 18g turbo that i had laying around and got her finished in time for the shoot out ! What an amazing time first shoot out ever and never going to miss one again ! Anyone that has not had the chance to make it up there seriously has to make some time and get there you wont regret it. Enjoy some more pictures!

Comp tubo

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

Greddy 18g

photo6.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo5.jpg

And the only two pictures of my car at the shootout

shootout1.jpg

shootout.jpg

Last edited:
So now its the start of a new year and with the car being parked i figured i would do a new set up, and ended up picking up a bran new holset hx40 with billet wheel Thanks to Justin i got exactly what i needed ! thanks once again Justin for the amazing new turbo.
Now just have to order the Manifold for this turbo!

008-1.jpg

hx402.jpg

hx401.jpg

Last edited:
So today was a nice day decided to start doing my motor, transmission mounts also just picked up my Bep t3 .70 housing thanks to rtmracing.com, Cant wait to get this thing running.

005-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

003-3.jpg

002-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

Love the build!!! You'll have to look mine up when I post pictures this weekend! Great job!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back