The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

97 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD - Project VGT

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking good so far!

Yeah... but I'm giving up on the idea for now. :banghead: The radiator and fan wouldn't fit as it sat in that photo. It's deceiving.

I only have until Sunday to get my car back on the road. And right now I'm at a cross roads.

I can buy that other manifold, hoping it would work. And wait until I get it to really do more work. Or I can cut my losses, sell the turbo, extra fittings, and other fab parts and put the 16g back on. I hadn't maxed it out yet, and I'm sure the new sensors (all those pressure and temp sensors from the VGT setup) will lead to some interesting info.

I'm at a point where I haven't hacked up anything that would prevent me from putting the 16g back on. I can instead focus on installing the new FMIC, install the EGT probes, and otherwise clean up some stuff that's been getting neglected. And I may even have a day or 2 left to my spring break to relax.

Very interesting build. This is pretty unique. So the VGT essentially reduces the height of the turbine, and you would make the turbine wheel "smaller" once the turbo is spooled and at full capacity? Is this correct? Good luck with the build and keep it up.

I got a bit busy with graduating college in May, and now moving to Michigan in a week. I'm now trying to track down another electronic actuator for this, the one that came on it, so I can use that motor, but modify it and use the stepper controller I have. The motor I was trying to use doesn't have enough holding torque when powered with 12 volts.

The VGT reduces the area that the exhaust has to pass through at the entrance to the turbine wheel. This increases the spool my effectively reducing the A/R of the housing. As the turbo builds boost, VGT opens to increase flow. On the truck this turbo is on, it opens enough that the truck doesn't need a wastegate to control the boost. But on our cars, they will quickly build 30psi+ and need an external wastegate setup.

I have plans to continue working on this, but at a reduced pace. Instead of rushing this, I want to get all the electronics in place and working before I put the turbo in. And right now, I'm too busy to even work on the electronics.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back