The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

97 AWD Swapped Spyder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSFab titanium radiator pipe installed, BLT done, New plugs, cleaned up, and ready for the final cars and coffee of the year! This will be the first C&C I've been to since moving here so I'm sure it'll get some attention. I'm planning to park it afterwards and start the winter tear down.

20211104_165501.jpg

20211104_165627.jpg

Cars and Coffee was chilly but still had a great turnout. I failed again on getting any of my own pictures, but I found a few of the car others posted in the Facebook group. From what I could tell as I was walking around the car drew in groups of high school boys freaking out over it or the occasional guy in his mid 60's with a Corvette hat trying to figure out what the hell it is. As I was leaving I got asked if it was a rotary so that was a good laugh. On the way home I had a couple guys in a cammed Chevy SS wanting to run so I obliged and promptly took them to Gapplebees. At the light as I was turning off they pulled up and said they didn't realize it had a turbo... Hopefully that interaction encouraged them to look up what dsm's are capable of.

The fall colors are in full swing here in Kentucky so I'm hoping to get out this week and get some decent pictures of the car while it's in the upper 60's the next few days.

FB_IMG_1636302049275.jpg

FB_IMG_1636302023471.jpg

FB_IMG_1636302018866.jpg

FB_IMG_1636302021079.jpg

Mind sharing how much that charge piping was? I need some new piping badly.
I bought the materials from Ticon/Vibrant and had a local fab guy make it. Materials were $700 and labor was $450. It could be done cheaper if you opt not to go with the Vibrant HD clamp by the throttle body like I did.

This car looks great! Thanks for resharing it on here' cause I did away with FB and will never go back. Glad I didn't miss this one!

I was looking for feedback on that shifter kit from extremepsi. You had good things to say, so I might give it a try. All four of my DSMs have had notchy/rough shifting. My current Talon is the worst yet.

This car looks great! Thanks for resharing it on here' cause I did away with FB and will never go back. Glad I didn't miss this one!

I was looking for feedback on that shifter kit from extremepsi. You had good things to say, so I might give it a try. All four of my DSMs have had notchy/rough shifting. My current Talon is the worst yet.
Yea the press-in solid cable bushings coupled with the shifter base bushings made a huge difference over the 20+ year old stock rubber pieces.

I replaced all the bushing including solid base bushings which helped a ton but was still a bit loose. I just replaced 3, 8 &9 in link below and now it feels pretty damn good, zero play now. The shifter lever arm bushings had the most play.

You can also inspect the detent springs in the trans (easy to get to) and they can be shimmed and/or stretched.

Well nothing much in the way of winter updates for this year as I was initially planning... As luck would have it though, shortly after we returned from our honeymoon in St. Thomas we came across a perfect corner lot that backs up to a horse farm in a neighborhood we love! While I have almost all the parts ready to go (just waiting on Bobby's group buy to finish up/ship and my Morrison Fab stock replacement manifold), I've decided not to tear into the car until we're situated in the new house next June. We're going to be doing several big upgrades so I want to be sure we've got the cash on hand for those things before I put more into the car in terms of bodywork and a full exterior respray. The car is also running so well with no issues or leaks that I don't want to screw it up :).

The weather has been so nice here in central KY recently that last Sunday I actually was able to get the car out for a cruise with the top down. It's a lot of fun talking to people at stoplights about the car briefly. Everyone always seems to have questions about it.

On another note, my garage is currently all Mitsubishi thanks to my rental Outlander Sport as my Sonata fell victim to the bearing clearance recall over Thanksgiving weekend... Shoutout to Hyundai though as they are replacing the motor with a brand new one and covering all associated costs even though my car was well out of warranty with 143k miles. Looking forward to getting it back and taking it to 300k+.

20211123_111111.jpg

20211204_091730.jpg

Last edited:
That's going to look sick in there, when you add some heat to the manifold it will change colors, and during that transition it's going to really pop with the purple and titanium UICP.

I remember getting my Morrison Fab hot parts kit LOL. Took all of it out the box and had a photo shoot, it's art.

Not much has changed with the spyder other than sourcing all the gray trunk plastics and installing those. I connected with the previous owner and we talked for a bit while I was warming it up to take for a spin around the block last Saturday. On another note, the house is coming along great! After walking through I realized I should have asked before they started about garage ceiling height. I'm hoping it's 12ft so I can do a lift and keep the spyder along with a Gen 2 viper, C6/c7 z06, or GT350 (that's what I've narrowed the next toy down to, any advice between those I'm all ears!)

20220123_143725.jpg

20220115_112839.jpg

20220115_113002.jpg

Well... The Spyder is pretty much sold. I took a down payment from a guy I'm confident will give it a good home out in Washington. Right now we're targeting April to have it shipped. It's been a great car and I'll definitely miss it, but with my garage ceiling being 6in too low for a lift and parts continually becoming more scarce, I think this is the right move. Now to figure out my Mach 1, GT350, Gen 2 Viper, or C6/C7 Z06 dilemma... For anyone curious, it took $23k for me to part with it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back