The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

97-99 body swap question, this one's about paint matching

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16g-95gsx

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2002
Christiansburg, Virginia
Ok, well I got a guy back home with a red 98 gsx who is buying a blitz kit and has agreed to sell me his pieces in the next few weeks. My car is a red 95 gsx, and his color appeared to be the same red. Now I talk to my friend who is in a body shop and he says theres a good chance it may not match. What is your experience from doing this swap or seeing it done? Will these paints be closely matched, or will it be really obvious to the naked eye? Obviously this is bad news to me as I seriously have everything lined up and this soudns like it could mean quite alot of paint work that I dont want to have to do. What is your opinion?

Also, what would you expect the door caps to cost to repaint at a shop as mine are starting to slightly fade some.

While this thread is going on I guess I might as well ask, is there ANYTHING else that is needed for the swap (I know it has been asked 1 billion times before). By this I mean the little nuts, bolts, and plastic clips, that I figure might need replacing after taking off. Just curious, so that I can being planning everything out perfectly.

By the way, after researching it some there are 3 paint codes for red during the 97-99 years, on is the radiant red, which is the exact same as the 95-96's, the other is Cayenne red, which appears extremely similar, but has a different code. The last one is the more dark maroon type red of the 97-99's, so I know thats not it.

Paint codes:

Cayenne: P88
Radiant: R87

But like I said I wanna hear from your experience of the possible difference I will be seing.

if you are lucky and the paint codes match up, the only possible difference would be fading which wouldnt be a big difference

if the guy lives near you, ask him to check out his paint code. compare with yours, should be under the hood at back left.

i had the talon oem side skirts put on my car and i had the driver side door cap repainted for $45

i would say around that.

Yea, the problem is I tried to look at my paint code this afternoon and my lettering/numbers on that sticker are starting to fade to the point I can hardly read them. He is going to check out his paint code tommorrow, but he lives in my hometown which is 3.5 hours away. I'll be getting these pieces in a few weeks during my spring break and installing them myself (it isnt that hard at all to install stuff like this, never installed bumpers before but I have a manual and it shouldnt be hard at all id imagine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back