The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

96GSX, 6 bolt swap, need help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierce Wilmoth

Probationary Member
Nov 27, 2020
Carterville, Georgia
Ok guys I have looked in the forms and can't seem to find the material needed fir my swap.. I have a 1996 GSX 5 speed, I received the car with a 6 bolt and 7 bolt engine, the 7 is a mess.. previous owner took it apart. I have the 6 bolt on the engine stand and bottom end is together and seems fine, I don't have an oil filter housing, also the engine mount on the timing side has an issue lining up with one hole. Should I just buy a 6 bolt complete engine?? What do I need to change from the 7 bolt to the 6 bolt. I believe my car came factory with a 7 bolt. ill attach pics in a few.

You'll have to grind 1 of the holes off on the motor mount bracket for that to fit. And use a 1g oil filter housing, run an external oil cooler. To fit the 2G head you'll need to have the head stud holes drilled 1mm bigger to fit the 6 bolt head studs. Aside from that I recommend a kiggly crank sensor so you can run the 2G CAS just my personal opinion.

You will need to use your cars stock engine mount on the timing belt side, some grinding is needed to clear the 6 bolt engine components, its well documented if you google 6 bolt in a 2g dsm or something along those lines, its been done hundreds of times successfully.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back