The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G '96 Talon Tsi AWD Auto -No Start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboTesh

Proven Member
Jun 9, 2016
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Hi guys i'm new to the forum, but have researched DSM's on here in the past. Well now I finally bought one as a toy!

It's a '96 AWD Talon Tsi - Automatic with 110k miles

I bought it knowing it was slow to crank over, sounded like a weak starter. Has newer battery. It drove great an hour and a half home, then i got it home and it didn't start, just made a strange light whiring and grinding sound. Then i came back out 20 min later and I got it to start on the first try.

Then it wouldn't start, it just made a slight whirring and grinding noise. SO i replaced the starter. NOW all i hear is the starter spin strong, with a faint grinding noise; no cranking. I went under to check the flywheel had good teeth, and it did where I could see. Then went to turn the crank by hand so i could see the rest of the flywheel... it won't move! Tried ratchet/breaker bar, won't budge. What could cause this?? Engine ran good and so did the trans prior to this all happening. Do i need to take out the spark plugs? I thought the engine would still turn, but it would be difficult... not impossible ( i happen to not have 13/16 spark plug remover, that's why i didn't try)

If someone has any insight... also, i found this broken connector - (attached pic)

Attachments

• Broken Connector.jpg
    Broken Connector.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 57
Solved! Starter didn't match correctly, but it was supposed to. Needed a manual starter for my automatic car... odd.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back