The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

General 96 gsx timing help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlashDSM

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2010
stony brook, New_York
its a stock 996 gsx with dsm link v3 full in it.

problem or correct?!

timing light shows 5* on cam gears but shows tdc on crack is this right?

Given there is no ignition timing mark reference on the cam gears how do you know?

ive read that the white inner marks of the cam gears can be used for timing, and it shows 5* btdc but when i point the light at the crank it shows tdc and not 5* before tdc is this correct?

i hooked up my timing light and pointed it to the crank after grounding the timing in link, should it show tdc or 5* before tdc?

With the timing pin grounded, the timing light should show 5* BTDC.

it wont show 5* thats the problem, all my marks are dead on, the cam gears withh a flat edge shows the 2 outer lined up with the inner marks about 2mm below the ruler, and the 2 middle are lined up and so is my oil pump and balance shaft, the car runs and drives great until i boost, i get serious knock on the stock timing map in link.

Attachments

• new (1).elg
    36.9 KB · Views: 34
Ignition timing and mechanical timing are two totally different things. Do you have a 1g cas?
Im not sure you understand how this works.

the problem with all those pictures is the marks on the cam gears are not straight across when i use a flat edge, when doing timing the intake cam gear rests in place as i turn the exhaust 1 tooth to line up marks, but i can also go 2 teeth, over shoot the intake mark put on belt and back it up and it lines up,

like in this thread http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/resolved-is-my-timing-off.301391/

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back