The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 96 GS-T wont start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kao

Probationary Member
Aug 4, 2021
Portland, Oregon
Hello, I am desperate. My car started up fine but when I hit 3500 RPMs it stuttered and lost power. The longer I drove it, the car starts to stutter and lose power till it eventually dies. My OBD sensor gave me a P335, crank shaft position sensor error, so I replaced it. Now it won't start at all. The engine keeps cranking but does not start.

Can anyone help?

What brand / type of crankshaft sensor did you buy? Because.. some poor aftermarket stuffs sometimes doesn't work..at all.

Better choice an used, but working oem sensor.

Yea, there is 12 volts coming to the sensor, ill have to try testing with someone cranking it. Ill get back with you when i do.

Last edited:
Or ,,you can measure the voltage on the sensor connector during cranking. Is there 12V

What brand / type of crankshaft sensor did you buy? Because.. some poor aftermarket stuffs sometimes doesn't work..at all.

Better choice an used, but working oem

Better choice an used, but working oem sensor.
I bought one from auto zone. I read from somewhere that it could be that I bought a bad sensor. There isn't a junk yard near me that has a car. Can you direct me to somewhere?

I bought one from auto zone. I read from somewhere that it could be that I bought a bad sensor. There isn't a junk yard near me that has a car. Can you direct me to somewhere?
No, sorry. :)
I live in Central Europe- Hungary.
I just wanted to give you tips, what might be wrong with your car. I always use OEM sensors, crank and cam. ( I have bought from usa, STM TUNED ). they works well. ;-)

Or ,,you can measure the voltage on the sensor connector during cranking. Is there 12V ..or not?

Is this a recent issue? Did you just get the car? Give us a full picture.
I had this car. Not to long ago, the starter was going out. It sat for almost a month. I replaced the starter and drove it. I went about a mile and tried to push the engine. It hit about 300 rpms and started to sputter. There was power loss and car wouldnt speed up past 30 or 40. Check engine light came on with a P355 fault code. I bought and replaced the crankshaft sensor as indicated, now it will crank but not start. Doesn't sound like there is any combustion going on.

Interesting. If a crankshaft pos.sensor is bad, it doesn't give the signal to the ecu, engine won't start. If the signal is ok, engine will start.
Check the connector itself ..or try to get an used oem sensor. At least just for a try, that you 'll be sure that this is the real problem. ( the crank pos.sensor) Keep goin'! Dont give up! ;-)

I had this car. Not to long ago, the starter was going out. It sat for almost a month. I replaced the starter and drove it. I went about a mile and tried to push the engine. It hit about 300 rpms and started to sputter. There was power loss and car wouldnt speed up past 30 or 40. Check engine light came on with a P355 fault code. I bought and replaced the crankshaft sensor as indicated, now it will crank but not start. Doesn't sound like there is any combustion going on.
Check the mechanical timing of the car? Am I reading this right? You push started it?

Check the mechanical timing of the car? Am I reading this right? You push started it?
No, I didn't push start it. Before I put in the new one, the car starts. Now it doesn't. One I put it in, I made sure the timing marks lined up.

If you had no other issues and all you did was install a starter then I would look at all the itmes you touched along the way. Likely something isn't done right, a connection missed etc.

Thanks you all. I did some newbie as shit. I took it apart and found that I installed it backwards. I wanted to kick myself. I created so much for for myself.

Thanks you all. I did some newbie as shit. I took it apart and found that I installed it backwards. I wanted to kick myself. I created so much for for myself.
Umm ... How many DSM'ers do you know who ever drove a car with the cam sprocket bolt just finger tight? No -- actually the number is one more than you remembered.

Car went about a mile and stopped with pretty much the same consequences as a broken timing belt except it also got the camshaft because it broke off the dowel right flush with the end.

I first put a wrench on one my cars about 1963. But I think some of us never outgrow our newbie ...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back