The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

96 gs-t spyder... Needed help 3 years ago

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazzx11

Probationary Member
Jan 26, 2012
tayorsville, North_Carolina
First off, hello to all. I have searched many forums over the past three years and spent a lot of $ over these three years also. My problem started right after i wrecked my car. I hit a guy that was stalled out in the highway going about 60mph. Long story short, my car that has set almost 2 years and has issues. Rough idle at startup, sputters at full throttle and a burst of white smoke which has to be coolant. It runs really rich also. I thought it might be the stock turbo so i took it off and checked the turbines. Everything looks good to me. Also, the car never runs hot and i have not had to ad water. I had a code for the egr valve if i can remember right, so i replaced it but it did not help anything. I have read literally hundreds of threads all over the internet and nothing has helped my car at all. I am 2 seconds away from parting this thing out because its taking up room in my garage. Does anybody have any useful info that they can share? Thanks in advance, and to those who may comment ( this questions has been answered 1 million times ) those answers did not work for my car LOL. ROFL And once again, i had no problems with the vehicle before i wrecked the car :confused:

it was basically totaled. Besides the fenders, hood and bumper... I needed the radiator support, radiator, new lights and everything close to the radiator. It did bend the stock wastegate bar that makes it open and close but never had any issues with the boost because i fixed that...? Nothing, as far as the outside appearance of the engine was damaged, the inside is a different story though LOL. The good thing though, is that the insurance gave me the option to buy the car back for $500 so i did. Didnt wont to let it go for just $500.

Before anything id like you to know that I am one of the new guys.my guesses are just as good as yours.

Check your while cooling system. There is coolant getting into your system somehow. It can be the hesitation you're getting at speeds. Imo, seafoam your block to kill of all deposits. Itll clean your internals. Doing this may make your real problem visible.

Sitting cars get yuck stuff built up that has to be cleaned. If your cooling system is good the white could be from the crash, when your car sucked in some coolant before everything was turned off..
After you seafoam, it would be a good time for oilchange and tune up.

Never thought of the sea foam....

Replaced parts- basically everything to do with the fuel, countless tune ups from me and other garages. Switched the maf and all of the intake hoses with a buddy to see it there was a problem with them, vacuum lines, header gasket NOT the intake yet... And much more that i cant remember because its been 2-3 years ago.... The car, as far as tune ups and new lines, brackets, hoses, clamps etc have been replaced and tested numerous times....

This is what i think when i read my own post...

-sputtering would be fuel, boost / air intake leak ?
-burst of white smoke in acceleration maybe the turbo seals or head gasket?
-running rich would be something with the fuel?

Im not a mechanic by no means i am just guessing at the problems that i am having? My next step if i cant get this figured out im just going to try and find another engine to drop in it.

What im not understanding is this happened all at the same time?

Last edited:
Get to 1 issue at a time. What's the worst issue? My guess is the white smoke being the worst issue, right?

So do a compression check, and see what that tells you. If a compression check turns out good, then move to a leak down test, out of those you should find your issue. It could be cracked head, blown head gasket, etc.

There's also some stuff you can buy at most local parts houses, I don't know what it's called but it is a liquid that you put into your coolant system and after you put it in you run your car for a minute and then look to see if you coolant has turned blue- indicating a blown head gasket. I highly doubt that's your issue because you're not losing any coolant. But it's good to check if you're wanting to get the car back to a well maintained daily driver.

Next move to your boost issue. Have you done a boost leak test? Are you running stock boost? Stock boost control solonoid? Stock blow off valve? Is the blow off valve recirculated? Within all of the 'tune-ups' that have been done have you replaced vacuum lines? Do you have an accurate boost gauge? Are there any performance parts on the car such as bigger fuel pump, injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, front mount intercooler, etc?

The more info you can give us the better! What's aftermarket on the car? What's stock? What have you replaced? What have you tested? How much boost are you running? Etc, etc, etc...

Everything is stock. I bought new fmic, intercooler piping, bov, dump valve, 3" downpipe, full exhaust, k&n intake and everything has been laying around for almost 3 years. I have not installed any of these new parts because of the problems i am having.

Compression has been tested and was good. We have done numerous boost leak test and everything checks out fine. Vacuum lines was replaced also. :| The only thing i am guessing now would be something internal because everything else has been checked. :hmm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back