The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 96 gs eclipse has a 4g63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eli96talon

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2012
mt.pleasant, Texas
I bought my wife a running 96 eclipse "gst" yesterday off craigslist.I looked at the car and it had a 4g63t but when I looked at the tittle and vin on the car it is non turbo chasis.the guy I bought it from said they had swaped in the 4g63 motor.I payed 1,100 shipped to my house cause it had a bad transmission.i know its possible to swap it in but I had never seen a swap like this in person,let alone own one.the ecu is a black plastic,so im assuming its from a 98 or 99 gst/gsx.ide like to know what are some things I can look for to see if the swap was even done right or if its need more stuff to make it a solid swap.

Nope no pics of the mounts.LOL ill give you the block thinging if you like it that much

I think the motor had been swapped but that was not an NT car to begin with. The vin will tell you what it is. So somebody put a 97 up motor in it or at least a 97 up CAS. What is the VIN? Do you know how to decode the vin? Doesn't matter what the title says, somebody key entered it. The VIN number is the key.

Yes that is what they did,they put a 97 and up cas in it but left the 96 ecu.what kind of issue would this cause with the car? It has a miss and when I unplug the 97 and up cas the car stays on.are these some symptoms of trying to wire in a 97 and up cas?also I have a way of geting a 95 cam gear,I was wanting to put the cas back on the right side of the head like it should be.ill pm you two guys the vin so you can tell me what's up with it.

I really don't want to swap the firing order.I rather just put the cas back where its supose to be.any idea why the car stays running why when I disconnect the 97+ cas...

I had one of the wise men on here help me decode the vin # and it is in fact a gst eclipse.that makes me happy

For everyone else, the first 11 digits of the VIN were: 4A3AK54F1TE.

Swapping the firing order is as simple as changing the order of spark plug wires at the coil if that's necessary: swapplugwires [ECMTuning - wiki].

Not sure why the car continues to run while the CAS is unplugged, though. The ECU should recognize it isn't receiving the input signal and shut off the fuel supply shortly thereafter (~4 seconds).

Are you sure that Cas is really not hooked up and it has the stock 95-96 Cas behind the cam gear? Just a thought though.

Well I looked behind the cam gear and it has no cas sensor behind it.when I pulled the 97+ cas out of its housing it was full of oil and the housing was all dirty.maybe the sensor is bad,but im still leaning more towards it use to have a 95-96 cas in it.I can clearly see where someone undid the harness and cut the cas plug off then extended the wires to the opposite side of the head and reconnected to a new plug.they didn't even extend the wires enough to reach all the way.you have to pull on the harness a little to get the plug close enough to the 97+ cas sensor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back