The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

95 vs. 99 ecu?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolade9

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 18, 2003
Schaumburg, Illinois
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I gave up searching...

i have a buddy with a 95 tsi awd showcar that wouldn't ever need dsmlink. Can I swap him ecus 99 for 95, and run the 95 for a month or so till I pick up a dsmlink, while he runs my 99 ecu?

the 95 is OBD I and the 99 is OBD II, would that cause any problems to either car?

there'd be some problems, for one thing your firing order for the pistons are different i believe. if you get a dsmlink it'll modify it for your 97+.
95-96's have different firing orders.

Originally posted by Mr96GSX408
there'd be some problems, for one thing your firing order for the pistons are different i believe. if you get a dsmlink it'll modify it for your 97+.
95-96's have different firing orders.

The pistons fire the same, although technically the pistons themselves don't fire. Its the coils that fire at different times, so you need to swap the plug wires at the coil pack. Swap 1 with 2, and 3 with 4.
Also, the 95 ECU is OBD2, just like the 99, its not an OBD1.

Brad

Originally posted by brads
The pistons fire the same, although technically the pistons themselves don't fire. Its the coils that fire at different times, so you need to swap the plug wires at the coil pack. Swap 1 with 2, and 3 with 4.
Also, the 95 ECU is OBD2, just like the 99, its not an OBD1.

Brad

haha forgive me for my wrong term, i meant to say firing order, ive been studyin for over 10 hours for a midterm today... my 2nd semi-all nighter in a row.. haha

so i actually could swap ecus then?

why would you want to put the 95 ecu in, only to have to take it back out again to get it socketed for eprom?

it would make more sense to just leave your ecu in till you actually get the dsm link, then take his ecu, get it socketed, and then swap them

Originally posted by Cirus_93TSI
why would you want to put the 95 ecu in, only to have to take it back out again to get it socketed for eprom?

it would make more sense to just leave your ecu in till you actually get the dsm link, then take his ecu, get it socketed, and then swap them

He might want to do it in a hurry, before his buddy realized how much the 95 ECU is worth ;).

Yes, you can swap the ECUs, follow the instructions I gave. Or alternately, look it up on the DSMLink website.

Brad

Yes technically it will work but there are two issues, one of which may not be easy to remedy. The first and easiest is the firing order which can be easily addressed by swapping wires as mentioned above. Now, the other issue, which may or may not be an issue for you since some cars are more sensitive than others, is the CAS phase. The 97-99 CAS is 90 degrees out of phase with the 95-96 sensor. When I had a 97 ECU in my 95 the stumbling would get quite bad at times because the injectors were firing at the wrong time. This is at least something to keep in mind and it may not have any impact going the other way around (95 ECU in 99 car) but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Hope this helps!

well, it actually has to work both ways. The 99 must work in the 95...is there a way to fix the cas on the 95 to get it to work with the 99 ecu?

Originally posted by koolade9
well, it actually has to work both ways. The 99 must work in the 95...is there a way to fix the cas on the 95 to get it to work with the 99 ecu?

Just try the plug wires. If you then notice that its running rough at idle, you can swap the injector wires around. I don't remember off the top of my head which order those get swapped in.

Brad

thanks for all the help guys.

is anybody currently running a 97-99 ecu in their 95?

well, you ever get it to work? im about to do the same thing here and im concerned about the cas problem.

Well, kinda a old thread but i have a 96 ecu that will work on his 95. It has the correct firing orders and I already did the MIL ecu recall on it. Reason I don't need it is because i got a dsmlink for xmas :thumb:

PM me for details.

good post blake i need to know the same thing, i have a friend that is letting me get his 95 ecu. now ill just do the spark plug wire thing but would i put his spark plug wires the way i have mine and put mine the way u said up there. and what if i send hte ecu out to get socketed would i be able to just put it in then thanks jim.

There is another issue that goes along with this besides the different CAS.

My Friend has a 99 GS-T that he wanted the 130mph Speed limiter removed.

when we went to do the VFAQ speed limiter mod. After opening it up. The ECU's is completely different then my 1995-1996 ECU. (there was no Resistor to cut)

so Since I had my Spare 1996 GS-T ECU with the Speedlimiter Removed I told him he could just use it. Till I need money and have to sell it.

So back to the Problem. His 99 GS-T (not sure about GSX's but probably the same as the GS-T) Wireing Harness's are set up like the 1G DSM wiring harness.

My 1995-1996 ECU "WOULD NOT" Plug into his 99 Style Wiring harness.

The plugs were completely different.

-brian

Originally posted by BrnOutKing

-brian

if this was true then dsm link ecu would not straight swap into a 97-99 and it worked fine in my car and everybody else's. the plugs of the 2g are all the same, but the cas inversion is different

Originally posted by BrnOutKing

-brian

This is the first one I have heard of like that. Is it possible someone had monkeyed around with the ECU previously? Maybe someone doing a 6 bolt swap decided to wire in a 1G ECU to match it?

Maybe you should take pics? Lots of people are running 95 ECUs in 99s, the plugs are the same.

Brad

His car came modified from the dealership.

Basically Metro Mitsu bought the car from an auction in Florida.

Cars a 99GS-T.
(been a while so this might not be 100%) He bought it from the dealership with:
Greddy 18G
Downpipe
Full exhaust
turbo timer
Greddy Boost controler
Boost Gauge
BOV
Hard I/C piping
Lowered 2"s

And was boosting like 22psi on pump gas.

He quickly added some things and lowered the boost.

Anycase didn't look like the harness was ever touched but who knows. The car was pretty well modified when he bought it.

All I know is him and I both tried to put the plugs in. And for some reason my 96 ECU didn't work.

Believe me I thought they were all the same. 89-94 and 95-99.

This is the only time I've ever heard of this happening. He's since sold the car so I can't have him take pictures. Or anything.

Actually I believe the new owner is on this site. His screen name is "dsmstunna" and is from IOWA.

-brian

Hello, I actually own this car now. I traded my modded 1995 awd for the 99 gst. The last owner, dsmstunna, did not tell me about any of this shit. I have come to discover that this car was not treated nicely. Did this previous owner actually run 22 psi with out injectors or anything? Maybe that is why my axle is ####ed up, 3rd gear is shit, and valve stem seals are shot. Sorry for bringing back an old thread but I just discovered this and am curious about my car. Oh and do you know anything about a burgerly to the car?? thanks alot!!

I frown apon bench comparisons. Mabey you should just do it and post the results. LOL.

Ha ha myabe there is some confusion there but when i recieved my car all that shit was wrong with it. If thats what you mean by bench comparision or are you talking about the ecu fitting? I almost know for a fact that the 99 ecu fit in a 95 so it would definatly work the other way around. Anyone know anything else about this car??? please!!

I was joking about bench comparisons. Its just around here everyone frowns apon bench anything so I decided to switch it up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back