The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

95 Tsi Overheating high idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95Dsm22

Proven Member
Nov 3, 2015
La Puente, California
My tsi just started to over heat when I would drive it , I checked the fan and it seemed to turn on at the right temp, also when I would come to a stop it would idle like at 1500 -1800 Rpm can it be the temp sensor?

probably not, if you dont have link and arent toggling them on. if thats the case, your fan thermistor switches are probably bad. i just replaced both of mine, theyre about $30 each from a parts store.

The fan kicks on for a few seconds when you start the car. If the ac button is pushed the other fan stays on. Check your thermostat.

im guessing this is a 2g thing?

Here's links to the two sensors related to temperature control. The first one is the temp sensor for the ecu and the second one is for your dash gauge.
Another +1 on making sure the thermostat is not stuck closed. You could also try purchasing a 180 degree tstat rather than a 195 which will open at a lower temp. Rock auto has some inexpensive ones.

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/oem_evo_dsm_water_temp_sensor.htm
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/oem_evo_dsm_water_temp_gauge_sensor.htm

probably not, if you dont have link and arent toggling them on. if thats the case, your fan thermistor switches are probably bad. i just replaced both of mine, theyre about $30 each from a parts store.
OK so turns out the sensor was in all the way , so I tightened it down . Let the car run and it didn't overheat . But tomorrow ima check the thermostat , then carefully drive it around the car has out of state license plate and I'm in the process of transferring the title and getting it "Smogged" . Umm it only has a wide band o2 Sensor up front and the rear one has been cut . I heard that it wouldn't matter if I don't have the 2nd cause the one up front gets a better reading ?

It depends, does the wideband also simulate narrow band for the ecm at this point? If not that may be contributing to your issue.

Iirc, the rear sensor can't affect fuel trims, only tests cat efficiency.

I'd stick with a stock thermostat personally, as long as the rest of your cooling system if functioning properly and the car runs properly, it shouldn't overheat.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back