The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

95 to 97 engine swap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverJester

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2002
IN
Has anyone ever put a 95 turbo engine into an 97 (also turbo)? I am having problems with the car not starting (no spark), I pretty sure it's not the coil pack or anything like that because it was working fine before. The car still has a 95 ecu (runing dsmlink). The only thing I can think is that there is something different in the wiring harness going to the CAS. because when I installed it the connector for the CAS was different (although still made of three wires red, blue, and black) but I had to cut the connector off and solder on a 95 style CAS plug onto the harness. I mathced up the colors (blue with blue, etc.) but my question is....Could mitsu have changed the wire colors in a 95 talon (TSi Awd) and a 97 GSX...this would cause the CAS not to work thus no spark??? Or what else could be my problem?

As far as I know, the colors are the same. On 97-99 dsms, does the CAS control the crank signal as well like the 1g CAS? If I read your post correctly, you have the CAS providing the cam signal. Is the ECU getting a crank signal as well?

The firing order of the spark plugs is reverse for 95-96 and with 97-99 DSMs. I believe the injector order is different as well. If it's not firing and your using your old 95 ECU with the 95 cam/cas sensors, then I would assume its in the wiring of the newer 97-99. Try swapping the firing order to 2-3-4-1.

my_gst95

my_gst95 said:
The firing order of the spark plugs is reverse for 95-96 and with 97-99 DSMs. I believe the injector order is different as well. If it's not firing and your using your old 95 ECU with the 95 cam/cas sensors, then I would assume its in the wiring of the newer 97-99. Try swapping the firing order to 2-3-4-1.

my_gst95

Yep, swap the firing order. 95-96 4g63s are backwards from both 1g and 97-99 4g63s.

Here is a link that confirms this...it tells us how to put a 1g head on a 2g block, but they address the differences between the 95-96 and 97-99 cam angle sensors and firing order.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/1g2gheadswaptechtip.htm

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back