The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

95 talon wrong sized bearings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extremities

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2012
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Hey guys, I'm currently looking at purchasing a 95 talon. The guy said that the wrong sized bearings were put in when he rebuilt the engine. He said he'd deliver the car to me but I was wondering if I could drive it like 30 or so miles each day until I fixed it. I dont know much on the subject. Is there anything else I would need to replace/look for? Is it a hard job? Any help would be great.

Personally, I would stay away from the purchase of the car if the wrong bearings were installed in the motor. It is not an easy job for a novice, and definitely do not drive the car whatsoever.

Personally, I would stay away from the purchase of the car if the wrong bearings were installed in the motor. It is not an easy job for a novice, and definitely do not drive the car whatsoever.

I would agree.

Wrong sized bearings? Wrong style? Or more like installing STd on a ground down .010/.010 crank?

That would be a nosiey engine.. knrocking and thuding

I mean I have a lot of friends that know this stuff a lot better than I do that would help. I'm just doing research and looking more into it cost wise and how much actual work would need to go into it to get it running properly.

It's probably not going to be as simple as bearings. If the incorrect bearings were installed, it most likely did damage to the crank and rods.

^^ thats why I posted on here. I've read that it usually wouldnt be just the bearings but I was sure what else and to what extent of the damage.

Wasnt sure*

Before you even get to hit the key, the engine would have to come out for a full rebuild.

Just a few things that would have to be checked, and machined back to specs would be.

*Main bores in the block.
* crank for bend, and scoring of the crank
* Connecting rod big end

Now if the engine was built with the wrong bearings, what else could be messed up?

Was the block bored .020 over and std pistions installed?
Was ring gap checked and set?
Were proper torque specs even used?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back