The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

95 Talon Tsi Turbo/Exhaust/Fuel upgrade requirements 300 Plus HP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

couch

Probationary Member
Oct 6, 2012
spokane, Washington
Hey guys I have a 1995 Eagle Talon TSI

I am doing in engine overhaul; well almost done my gold is to run 300hp with options for more power down the road. This will be my kick *ss daily driver/ and autocross racer and plan on having it built to last.

I want to get Td05 big 16g Evo III turbo charger with ported exhaust housing and a 5-20psi actuator the ebay one and yes i know but i don't go a $1000 bucks to buy OEM.

The problem I'm having is all the kits say they are compatible with the eagle's 1g and 2g eclipse but not 2g Talon unless you get a j pipe fitting. My most prominent question is if i get this turbo system what mods do i really need have or will it just bolt on like the eclipse. My impression is that the eclipse is identical in almost every way to the talon. Will that be the same with the turbo system?

Examples:
EVO 3 16g Ported Turbo DSM Eclipse 1g 2G w J Pipe | eBay
Big TD05 TD05H 16g Turbo turbocharger Mitsubishi Eclipse Talon GST DSM EVO Kit | eBay
TD05 16g Turbo turbocharger EVO 4g63 4G63T Water Banjo | eBay

HELP!!! haha

Also most people are saying if you get a 16g turbo you have to get a Inter cooler Ether upgraded SMIC, FMIC ( but i want to keep the A/C unit Worried about over heating) or looking into the Liquid to Air option tided to my stock Inter cooler (I'm not sure that's how it works or if its better then a FMIC or upgraded SMIC i haven't found anything on the forum comparing them)

Lastly i need your opinion for peace of mind with my list of parts and upgrades i am doing. Are they correct to my build, is there anything im missing, or should i get something different?

I have done countless hours of research and reading this forum has helped out a bunch i trying to build my DSM the right way. In short this is what i have done so far any feedback is greatly appreciated.

With the research i have done the nex parts on my list are:

Td05 big 16g Evo III turbo charger with ported exhaust housing and a 5-20psi actuator

Ported 02 housing
89 99 Eclipse DSM 1g 2G T25 TD05 Turbo Elbow Pipe 90 | eBay

225 fuel pump
Walbro 255 PLH High Pressure in Tank Fuel Pump Wal GSS342 | eBay

Fuel presser regulator
Universal Aluminum 160 PSI Adjustable kPa Fuel Pressure Regulator Oil Gauge Red | eBay

Later 550 injectors but I'm going to keep the boost at 1.0 bar 14.5 psi I believe that is the stock setting.
Stand-alone ECU "Adapttronics 440 select"
440 Universal Select ECU [440 Universal Select] - $1,300.00 : Adept Tuning, Spokane, Wa
Turbo Timer

3" cat back,
High flow exhaust manifold,
HKS BOV
Cold air
New rebuilt head
Cylinder head
Port polish
3mm lifter
New pcv system two oil catch cans
Short shifter
Evo-x pistons .040 over , 6-bolt rods converted to 7-bolt (Frankenstein by dsm graveyard-if that means anything)
Balance shaft elimination
Stock but new water & oil pump, gaskets, and timing stuff...
Stage 3 clutch (probably over kill but what the hell i love crank-walk)
Aluminum flywheel
Coil-over's, strut bars F and R

Attachments

• IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 795
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0630.jpg
    IMG_0630.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 127
Make sure to do a full tune-up and check the condition of the motor before doing anything. This will save you ton's of money down the road. These cars are very picky about how they're taken care of. Take care of it and it'll take care of you.

As far as turbo selection goes, you are probably best going with a 16G. The 20G is a good option but for your power goals the E316G will get you to where you need to go and is a reliable, cheap, and effective option. You will need an install kit for an eclipse or talon with a j-pipe. There is no difference between Talon/Eclipse in that sense. Most places that sell the turbos will sell the 16g install kit's for 2g cars.

5-20 psi actuator? I'm guessing that this is a wastegate with optional spring rates? I would just buy a manual boost controller with a reliable gauge and go from there. I wouldnt trust anything (non name brand) from ebay to regulate my boost or read my boost. This is a life or death matter for your engine, dont cheap out.

Upgrades path is simple 1. choose what your power goal is 2. pick a turbo suitable to that goal 3. fuel mods to support the amount of fuel for that power level 4. tuning to compensate for the extra air/fuel. - you obviously want all the supporting mods to go with each of those i.e. fuel pump, lines, regulator with injectors

Good Luck and Happy Tuning!

thank you that is helpful if i'm running stock boost with the 16g can i get away with the stock inter cooler?
or does anyone have any ideas on and upgraded side mount or the liquid to air i wanna keep the A/C

You can run a stock intercooler on a 16g or even a 20g for that matter. The issue with the intercooler is going to be heat soak. If you are doing long or multiple hard pulls you will overwhelm the intercooler very quickly with a stock core. If you plan on autocrossing the car a stock intercooler will not be sufficient. You can buy cheap cores and then get a piping kit for fairly inexpensive. It is not a necessity until you start running the car hard, though.

Stay away from random Ebay parts. If you want the car to last, don't buy any moving/functioning parts off Ebay unless its a well-known brand such as Wiseco. Non-movng parts are usually OK. But the turbos, fuel pressure regulator, and stand-alone ECU you listed are truly junk.

The parts I would suggest:

MHI Small 16g turbo (buy used, get rebuilt)
DSMLink V3 Lite
Punishment or VRSF FMIC (seriously, ditch the wimpy SMIC)
Walbro 255HP
Aeromotive or Fuelab AFPR
650cc-1000cc injectors (the bigger the better)
ARP Standard head studs
Hallman Pro boost controller

That's basically all your missing from a 300hp capable setup. As an AutoX car, I'd suggest looking into more suspension mod as well. You'll need a lot more than coil overs to have any fun.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back