The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

95 talon grinding noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigschnard

Probationary Member
Mar 7, 2012
byron, Georgia
Okay I have a 5 speed transmission. That was just replaced with a used one and the clutch and flywheel. Are new. But I have this sort of grinding noise coming from tranny area. If I rev the engine with it in neutral you can hear it well. And after driving it for a while it seems to go away. Car shifts well and everything. Changed starter cause I thought maybe it was going bad. Somebody said I mite need to adjust the clutch or something. It seems like it goes away when I push clutch in. I don't know really just bought this car a month ago. And had noise when I purchased. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

it seems that the throw bearing wasn't replaced and it can make noise, should of replaced it when you had it out. as for the grinding noise, might be transfer case spider gears. Maybe a really worn input shaft as well. Does it grind putting it gear?

I have the same problem. I put it on stands went in the car and had a friend go under, we made sure it was the clutch was dragging since I needed to replace it. It could be your clutch needs to be replaced or should check if it was installed correctly.

I saw you said you put a new new, so just check if it was installed correctly to get it off the list for something being wrong with it.

A common problem with DSM's during the clutch and flywheel replacement/upgrade is needinig to adjust the clutch after it is done.
Sit with the car running and come to a complete stop.
Put the car in gear and stay on the the clutch then rev up to 5-7k and see if you move or not. if you do it will be the clutch needing adjustment.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back