The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

95 Talon Esi Engine Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudjug69

Proven Member
May 10, 2019
Quitman, Texas
Alright guys I did my reasearch and decided I wanted to build a 2.4l from a stratus and put in my car. I found a block that’s in great shape with low miles for $100. I already have a good 420a head to put on it. The only question I have is will the stock 5 speed transmission bolt up to the 2.4L block? And will I still be able to use the same flywheel?

transmission and flywheel (or flex plate if your running a modular clutch) will bolt up.

Keep in mind there are some motor mount mods to do when performing s cloud car swap. You'll also have balance shaft stuff to deal with or delete. Otherwise good luck with it and hope to see some good progress!

Keep in mind there are some motor mount mods to do when performing s cloud car swap. You'll also have balance shaft stuff to deal with or delete. Otherwise good luck with it and hope to see some good progress!

I’m going to delete the balance shafts and probably get the motor balanced. I know some say you don’t have to that it isn’t much of a vibration you feel but I’d rather be safe than sorry. As for the motor mounts it’s only the passenger side motor mount that needs fab work isn’t it?

I don't recall exact details but I believe you are correct on the passenger mount. Balancing is always a good idea if building the motor, just makes things as even as possible.

As for the oil pan has anyone made aftermarket ones that will bolt on or will I still have to fab one to work? Also does anyone know of a link that gives instructions about how to fab up a motor mount or did they leave that to us to be creative with? I want to try to make this go as smooth as possible. I know engine swaps don’t always go smooth but the easier the better so I can get it done and start showing my buddies cobalt ss up.

Search 420a to 2.4 swap, and check out 2gnt.com.

Here's a couple links:

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/eclipse-420-to-2-4-conversion.278869/

https://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=2.4L_Discussion_by_Skrilla

These will get you more info than I could ever provide.

Thanks! Mostly everyone on here wants to bash and say get a gst, gsx, or tsi. But I personally would rather build my own car the way I want it from a base model and get familiar with it that way! Plus I have a 03 Lexus IS300 that is my power horse! Hoping to start this build very soon will post about my progress when I get started!

Thanks! Mostly everyone on here wants to bash and say get a gst, gsx, or tsi. But I personally would rather build my own car the way I want it from a base model and get familiar with it that way! Plus I have a 03 Lexus IS300 that is my power horse! Hoping to start this build very soon will post about my progress when I get started!

As long as you're aware of the hurdles and are ready to put in the work, I'm not here to tell you to get a different car. Making it your own is all part of building cars.
I look forward to the progress!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back